Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elysium is offline Productive Member

Do you guys actually say "goodbye"?! Like ever?!

Hey guys,

So i had to call a load of people last night, in CA mainly, and after speaking to about 15 people i realised something... they dont say goodbye! Probably 3/4 people out of all 25 odd people i spoke to actually said good bye, some of them said "thankyou" before hanging up, the saying i got the most was "uh huh". Like, "Ok speak to you tomorrow"... then he'd say "uh huh".

Is this something thats a part of the culture in the US? This isnt a dig at the US at all, just something i noticed, just different from the UK where pretty much every phone call ends with "bye" or something to that effect.

skiing is offline Associate Member
    I usually just get the nod hard to see that over the phone I now just assume. We americans have a way of shortening everything.

Uh huh is like aloha to many meanings.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    everyone i know ususally says bye.. some friends will end it with "later"

decadbal is offline Banned
    later or talk to you tomorrow, i dont like goodbyes.. seems serious and like someting u tell someone u dont expect to see or speak to for a long time

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmark
    everyone i know ususally says bye.. some friends will end it with "later"
    Same for me and my friends, we say "later"......saying good-bye sounds too permmenant. Good-bye is something you tell someone you won't see again or for a long time....at least that's the way I see it.

Messy, you know the Americain Indian doesn't have a word that represents "good-bye".....so we like to follow their led. It's the least we can do for taking all their land.

Its usually US offices i speak to, UK businesses that have offices out there, so i know the companys but not specifically the people. I rarely got a good bye, it also seemed like women preferred to chat longer than men, and for the girls in my office it was the opposite, the guys love their accent.

Matrix78 is offline Associate Member
    i say bu-bye on the phone at work all the time, i'll just say later on the phone wiht friends

What's embarassing is when you so bye and throw an "I love you" on the end.....did that to the boss the other day by accident after a phone conversation.hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    What's embarassing is when you so bye and throw an "I love you" on the end.....did that to the boss the other day by accident after a phone conversation.hahahahaha
    LOL! Im working as an office manager in my evenings at the mo with the marketing business, sometimes it means alot of time on the phone. So last night we played a game, there was a certain word that they had to sneak into the conversation, and who ever got the word gets to pick a new one. So one of the girls would ring a company and attempt to include the word "muffin" in to a conversation, its good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut

I have done that also not with boss but someone for business I felt foolish.

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    I have noticed this. It's kind of rude if you ask me. Then I noticed I do it sometimes when I am in a rush and the task at hand is more of a priority than the individual I am dealing wtih to extract information. The biggest problem is that it sometimes ends a conversation prematurely through misunderstanding...

-SF

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    LOL! Im working as an office manager in my evenings at the mo with the marketing business, sometimes it means alot of time on the phone. So last night we played a game, there was a certain word that they had to sneak into the conversation, and who ever got the word gets to pick a new one. So one of the girls would ring a company and attempt to include the word "muffin" in to a conversation, its good fun!
    I we also spend much time on the phone sounds like great fun. I will definitely try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Froid
    I have noticed this. It's kind of rude if you ask me. Then I noticed I do it sometimes when I am in a rush and the task at hand is more of a priority than the individual I am dealing wtih to extract information. The biggest problem is that it sometimes ends a conversation prematurely through misunderstanding...

-SF
    I know what you mean, as i wasnt used to speaking to people from the US on the phone, it took me by surprise to start with, and did come across a bit rude. Kinda got the idea that its normal in the end

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    i usually end a phone call with "alright then"

Quote Originally Posted by frank_frank
    i usually end a phone call with "alright then"
    Yea see that would probably come across to alot of people in the UK as a bit rude, i know that its not meant to but it does sometimes.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Im a please, thank you, your welcome person. Its a pet peeve of mine. I cant stand it when someone isnt polite enough to say thank you...etc

OG

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    Yea see that would probably come across to alot of people in the UK as a bit rude, i know that its not meant to but it does sometimes.

ya its weird ..ive never really thought about it, but im pretty sure that when im talking to someone that i dont realy know i will say bye

Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    Im a please, thank you, your welcome person. Its a pet peeve of mine. I cant stand it when someone isnt polite enough to say thank you...etc

OG
    Snap.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Whenever i hang up i say. Ski a great winter.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus
    i always say whether its aguy or girl, i say, for such a fatass you sure do have some little titties

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    i always say whether its aguy or girl, i say, for such a fatass you sure do have some little titties
    Doesnt EC's mom get pissed when you say that? Youre such a Loz-head.

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus

all the love. I do have a copyright you will be hearing from my Lawyer.JK

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin

OG

def the way to go my fam was raised the same way.

BIGB is offline Associate Member
    in canada we do

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    LMAO at Jugger....you have no idea how many times I have said "I love you" to customers...lmao....when i talk with family we always end it with "I love you" so sometimes I get used to it...lol....but usually out here in Cali we say "later"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGB
    in canada we do
    Dont even get me started with Canada, theres alot of different languages there huh?

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    I use the term "Over and out" - to end my transmissions....

Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Rox
    I use the term "Over and out" - to end my transmissions....
    I'd laugh at you

I enjoy speaking to Americans on the phone though, the women always seem to intrigued by my accent

Scooby1 is offline Member
    HEY MESSY!

Hows you business adventure going? Hope you are liking it. To add in my .02 I normally end a phone call with " okay I'll talk to ya later, see ya, bye." I don't know why, but if never fails. How is that for polite??

statuZ is offline Banned
    i get frustrated when somoene just hangs upw ithout saying good bye, even though they dont mean anything by it it really irritates me, its like disresepectful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby122884
    HEY MESSY!

Hows you business adventure going? Hope you are liking it. To add in my .02 I normally end a phone call with " okay I'll talk to ya later, see ya, bye." I don't know why, but if never fails. How is that for polite??
    That would be fine bro.

Yea worked 6-12pm each day except for today, needed a rest! Did alot of liasing with clients in the US this week, (hence the late nights here, time difference obviously). The office enviroment is real good, its starting to pay off and i see the company going places.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I usually end my phone calls with "later faggot" or i just hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I usually end my phone calls with "later faggot" or i just hang up.
    HAhaha i was waiting for something like that. I'd imagine you just let out a little growl or something

Scooby1 is offline Member
    Good. Glad to hear. Hope all goes well. Ins't the time difference like 8 or 10 hrs?

Yea worked 6-12pm each day except for today, needed a rest! Did alot of liasing with clients in the US this week, (hence the late nights here, time difference obviously). The office enviroment is real good, its starting to pay off and i see the company going places.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by scooby122884
    Good. Glad to hear. Hope all goes well. Ins't the time difference like 8 or 10 hrs?
    Its like 8 hours. I work from 9am to 5pm then 6pm to 12am... so... pretty d*mn busy!

I end 99% of my phone conversations with "thanks, bye"

Must be that Canadian politeness thing... apparently we even say "thanks" to the ATM's

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I end 99% of my phone conversations with "thanks, bye"

Must be that Canadian politeness thing... apparently we even say "thanks" to the ATM's

Red
    Yea i dont mind calling Canada too much, only thing is that there appears to be ALOT of languages there, english, spanish, french, japanese, chinese... had a hard time communicating with some businesses out there

oh and not to mention that accent you lot have j/k ABOOT

oh and not to mention that accent you lot have j/k ABOOT
    Accent? Depends on where in Canada you are bro

You know of all the regional accents in the UK, now imagine a country 300x the physical size with more separation between populations. English spoken in Newfoundland is so different than spoken in Vancouver that it's almsot scary.

And the same applies to French... french is mostly spoken in Quebec and the maritime provinces (also a little in Ontario and Manitoba). Right off the bat Canadian french is a totally different dialect from France french... most france folks cannot understand us. And to boot within Quebec there are very regional french accents.

Of course we all know that it's you brits who have the funny accent

Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information