VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member

Ultimate Fighting

So who in here is into this. By ultimate fighting, I mean both in the octagon and the new one called "Pride Fighting." I was a huge UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) fan, but now Pride Fighting has moved in, and they are both very similar.

My favorite fighter of all time is Don "The Predator" Frey. He is awesome. His skills are ridiculously good and his threshold for pain is like none I have ever seen. After him I would have to say Tank Abbot. I like him because after his match with one guy (that he destroyed) they asked him why he was grading his face across the octagon and his answer was "I just wanted to tickle his brain a little hahaha"

So... Who is your favorite fighter?

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Don't know much about it, but have seen snipets of it here and there, looks like a good show, definately beats out pro wrestling and pro boxing.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Tank's a stud because he classifies his style of fighting as Bar Brawling...street fighting. Vitor is also the shit, he's small and stocky as hell and can kick the shit out of most fighters.

Those are my picks and my 2 cents.

payton0621 is offline New Member
    actually, tank sucks...look at his record....probably the 2 best are royce gracie and ken shamrock

I have the latest pay per view of Pride Fighting (called Bad Blood)and Shamrock was out of shape and small (for him) and The Predator was hugh and in shape. Shamrock lost. It was a real good fight.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Is it strange not to have a favorite? I started out as a loyal watcher of UFC, but lately haven't been keeping up with them. Also, I haven't seen any of these Pride tourneys. But when I do watch UFC, I don't really care who wins, I just want to see a good fight.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    two words bro...vitor belfort. that is one bad mofo for 19 yrs old..(back a few yrs ago). he so damn strong he takes down guys half his size, and not to mention his speed ...but judge for yourselves...

this site (aside from AR) is the shit! check out the downloads...or get them off morpheus...it's well worth it

www.sherdog.com

Peace
    Last edited by Big Rush; 03-15-2002 at 04:32 AM.

G-S Guest
    Royce Gracie. 180 lbs, and beating guys that outweigh him on a regular basis. I wish he woulda never quit.

That guy is a grappling stud. Make a wrong move, try and hit him, and he'll make ya tap.

ALL - OUT ! is offline New Member

My favorites.......

Two, I like.

Tank Abbott. Fearless. So tuff. Very strong. Just his look alone is scarey. His left jab (at his lowest weight of 250), sent Don Frye (no slouch!) flying across the ring. Frye won that match, despite his badly bloodied face, by choking Abbott til he tapped-out. I wouldn't fight Tank Abbott if he was in a coma.

Vitor Belfort. Skill. Skill. And more skill. Punches so quick you can't see half of them! Great striker and grappler.
    Last edited by ALL - OUT !; 03-25-2002 at 10:21 AM.

Did you guys watch celebrity boxing? Tank Abbot was in Vanilla Ice's corner!!! I couldn't believe it. He looked real fat too.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    hm...as a true martial arts lover and student for over 12 y I find the ultimate fighting just a little worst and animal than dog or rooster fights...
    no rules ,no form,no technique, the closest to the street fight
    as it happens in most of the fights there are only a few kiks and hits because most of them end up in submission..what is in fact the easiest and safest way to end a fight like that.
    that's probably why u can't see any wing chun kuen fighters
    or pencak silat or ninjutsu guys..
    Just not to bite my thongue there MAY be some of them but the fact is that anyone advanced enough in those sports realize that as corny as it may sound "U use it only when u have to"
    Once u see how easy is to hurt someone and I mean hurting like snapping the spine ,poking an eyeball out or killing a person it really becomes less that it seems in ulitmate figting or karate movies ...
    well not to be too long..just my .02

Well, manijak, the people in the UFC are some of the most dangerous people in the world. And yes, I'm sure there are people who are more dangerous. Some schools in Japan are just plain insane, but what seperates the people form the UFC's and all other fighers is two things. 1. these guys know how to take a hit and still react with their training and 2. they are applying what they have learned.

I have seen a tenth dan in Karate (granted its Karate, but he was a 10th dan) and he got completely smoked.

And yes, it is not much different from a dog or rooster fight, but then again either is boxing..

These guys have technique and form, however, it is not realistic for a figher to remember to c-step when he throws a punch. The top fighters do not do this as a hobby, it is a full time job. They train every day all day.

There are rules, but not many - such as no fish hooking, no eye qauging etc. In Pride Fighting they do not even allow headbutts.

Remember also, these men are not fighting "average" people. If I stepped in the octogan against Tank Abbot, I would probably die.

I guess what I am trying to say is that these are some of the greatest fighers in the world. They not only know how to fight, but they know how to apply what they have learned. I have seen many many people who tell me that they are black belts etc. and I just shake my head. They think they are tough because of a color they have attained, but they have never applied their skills. Once that adrenaline starts to flow, you forget everything and its just instinct. Not to down play your achievements, 12 years of training is a lot. But 12 years of training is not worth anything if you can not take a hit and let your body react, instead of thinking about what you have to do.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Ken Shamrock will always be my favorite... Combination of size, skill and cuts and power too... I'd have to say though that Vitor Belfort IMO is king of the octagon... That kid is bad... He wasted Tank's azz when they fought.... It was no contest at all, just destroyed him.... Oh and gracie was a fraud... F**K that shit where he just holds you in the guard on his back... Just fight DAMMIT!

Ironweb is offline Member
    Love the UFC. Ken set the standard and his brother Frank showed the Shamrock will. The preditor is very good. I remember him saying he would love to fight Tyson. Love to see that myself. It's the real deal and great sportsmenship amoung the competitors.

THE JU-ICE is offline Associate Member
    Don the Predator is the fucking man. His first appearence he dropped a 400lb 500-0 bar brawler from mexico. On shot and still kept coming. That dude is a fucking animal.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i love ufc....i haven't paid attention to the last few tournaments, but vitor belfort is one bad mother. gotta respect what royce gracie has done though....it doesn't matter how you win a fight, just that you do

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    vitor belfort. unbelievable. i love no holds barred fighting. frank shamrock also gets the thumbs up. ken was good but i never really cared for him.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I loved it so much it got me into BJJ.

wanna_c_gains is offline Associate Member
    Only got one thing to say UFC coming to CENTURY TEL CENTER MAY 10TH!!!!. Can you see my excitement. I'm on that like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat!!.

WCG

testprop is offline Associate Member
    belfort rocks! supposedly he's a winny and testo lover (inside source), since the juice is legal in Brazil
    he looks big and shredded

don frye is pretty cool also, btw he also admitted to juice

heres a pic from pride 19 frye vs shamrock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Fighting-pride19_21.jpg  
    Last edited by testprop; 03-25-2002 at 06:27 AM.

Kasushi sakuraba is offline Junior Member
    Hell yes! I love Pride! UFC is getting really weak compared to Pride. I personally LOVE Sakuraba because he is god damn crazy! He tries all this weired ass hit and it workes for him every time. But besides him I would say that Vanderlie Silva is the man. He hurts people good!

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

KS hit the nail on the head

i live for Pride!!!! Vanderlei Silva and Sakuraba are great. my favorite fighter though is Vitor Belfort.the man is a machine!!!

cpitt398 is offline Junior Member
    I actually went to UFC 36 in Las Vegas last Friday night. It was pretty cool. I was disappointed that the Victor Belfort vs. Tito Ortiz fight was cancelled b/c Ortiz tore his ACL. Last time they were suppossed to fight Belfort got injured. I haven't seen Belfort fight in awhile but he was awesome. His style was Brazialian Jijistsu (sp) but he was so quick and accurate all he had to do was punch people in the face until the ref called the fight.
    Even though they were not fighting I seen Don Frye, Tank, Frank Shamrock, and Kimo. Remember Kimo, he fought Gracie for almost a half an hour once. He had KIMO tattooed on the back of his head!
    In case you guys missed it Jash Barnett beat Randy Couture for the Heavywieght championship. Barnett is chubby. I mis when the champions were all huge and ripped (Shamrock, Colemon, etc.)Pat Militich also lost.

bicepsual is offline Banned
    gracie is the king
    and shamrock is the don
    im currently studying ju jitsu and i tell you that at 185 lbs gracie is probably the best pound for pound fighter in the world
    love ufc

mc_ake is offline Banned
    shamrock!!!!!!!!

ALL - OUT ! is offline New Member
    The polls have closed. Belfort wins.

Thread Information