Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Official "STOCK PICK" thread...Nasdaq, Amex, NYSE....

For the finance conscious bros on the board, I thought I would start this thread dedicated to stock picks...I'm sure we have alot of smart bros who would like to share their picks with other bros on the board. I will start with a penny stock pick. GTEL. I own about 4000 shares. So if it goes up a penny I have made $40...LOL...I really don't have a really good reason to pick this company...it was a tip from my friend's brother...their numbers are small, but positive. I am hoping they will get bought out soon. haha...anyway, list your picks and explain why you think the way you do!!!!

RJM03 is offline Senior Member
    I work at the sales desk for John Hancock Funds, and for the financially conscious, the trend you should be looking at right now is a move to more quality stocks. Your small cap and tech funds were big winners overall for YTD returns in 03' but are most likely still down since 00'. as the market is progressing forward right now, there is great value out there for your higher quality large cap companies. I am telling all the reps in my territory that this is the way of the market right now, quality for less $. and if you want to check out a great 5 star fund that follows this philsophy, check out PZFVX, Pzena Classic Value through John Hancock. right now its time to run with the "bulls".

Quote Originally Posted by RJM03
    I work at the sales desk for John Hancock Funds, and for the financially conscious, the trend you should be looking at right now is a move to more quality stocks. Your small cap and tech funds were big winners overall for YTD returns in 03' but are most likely still down since 00'. as the market is progressing forward right now, there is great value out there for your higher quality large cap companies. I am telling all the reps in my territory that this is the way of the market right now, quality for less $. and if you want to check out a great 5 star fund that follows this philsophy, check out PZFVX, Pzena Classic Value through John Hancock. right now its time to run with the "bulls".

A value fund? Please elaborate on exactly what this is...I am new to the game...

a "value" approach to investing is finding stocks that are trading for less than where they should be. Its like bargain shopping, you want to find a quality stock that is trading below its relative value. Now mutual funds give you the leverage to invest in a fund, which holds positions in a number of companies which gives you the ability to diversify your investment. The only difference in buying shares of stock and buying shares of a mutual fund is that you dont own a piece of the companies within the fund, John Hancock does, and you are investing into the fund with the faith that John Hancock's portfolio managers will show you capital appreciation over time.

a "value" approach to investing is finding stocks that are trading for less than where they should be. Its like bargain shopping, you want to find a quality stock that is trading below its relative value. Now mutual funds give you the leverage to invest in a fund, which holds positions in a number of companies which gives you the ability to diversify your investment. The only difference in buying shares of stock and buying shares of a mutual fund is that you dont own a piece of the companies within the fund, John Hancock does, and you are investing into the fund with the faith that John Hancock's portfolio managers will show you capital appreciation over time.

I see. So as far as growth/risk ratio, it is somewhere between a stock and a mutual fund? Medium growth and medium risk? Is it a steady growth fund? or is it volatile?

The opposite of value is growth. A growth approach is where you want to find a stock that is "bullish", or a steady gainer. Typically companies that have recurring revenue and are able to pay dividends are bulls, and most of the time large cap. If a company is able to pay quarterly dividends over a sustained period of time, (5 years is a benchmark) that means that its products/services are generating enough profit to kick back a small % of profit (dividends) to common stock holders. Ex. Coca-Cola or Pepsi Co.
    Alot of growth stock lies in the consumer products and services genre.

The opposite of value is growth. A growth approach is where you want to find a stock that is "bullish", or a steady gainer. Typically companies that have recurring revenue and are able to pay dividends are bulls, and most of the time large cap. If a company is able to pay quarterly dividends over a sustained period of time, (5 years is a benchmark) that means that its products/services are generating enough profit to kick back a small % of profit (dividends) to common stock holders. Ex. Coca-Cola or Pepsi Co.
    Alot of growth stock lies in the consumer products and services genre.

Sweet info. bro! Okay, say you own 100 shares of Wal-Mart and the dividend is $1. Do you get $100 check in the mail at the end og the year? Do you have to own those 100 shares for a certain period of time to get the dividend paid? Or do they reinvest it for you in the stock? So many questions...LOL

Classic Value is not volatile by any means, the companies within that portfolio are mid to large cap, and the growth comes from buying low and selling high, rather than from holding onto the stock for a long period of time. With value, you purchase the stock with the pretense that your getting a deal, and you are willing to sell it should a good opportunity for capital gain arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rush
    Sweet info. bro! Okay, say you own 100 shares of Wal-Mart and the dividend is $1. Do you get $100 check in the mail at the end og the year? Do you have to own those 100 shares for a certain period of time to get the dividend paid? Or do they reinvest it for you in the stock? So many questions...LOL
    If you own 100 shares of Wal-Mart, and the dividend is $1.00 at quarter end, then yes you would recieve a $100. dividend. ($1 x 100 common shares) Now, alot of companies give their stock holders "options". You may have an option that allows you to automatically reinvest your dividend in exchange for additional shares of common stock.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Rush, keep an eye on Kforce Inc. Their shares are going for about $9 per share and street estimates it'll hit $17 this year. The company is buying smaller companies to increase it's presence....one right now and slated to grab up three more by end of 04. Last year they were at $4 per share but pulled it up by close of 03. The company is pretty rich in cash and for the past three years has been buying back stock because they felt they were underated.

Anyone looked at Red Hat latley? I used to have some of thier stock but it tanked three years ago.

To answer your question regarding owning the shares for an X amt of time to be eligible for the dividend is no. Dividends 9 times out of 10 are paid quarterly, The end of the Q1 was on 3/31. Now a company will declare its dividend on a record date, like 3/28 or 3/29, so they can send out there div in time for the beginning of Q2. If you buy into the stock prior to the "ex-date" its called, then you get the dividend.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Rush, keep an eye on Kforce Inc. Their shares are going for about $9 per share and street estimates it'll hit $17 this year. The company is buying smaller companies to increase it's presence....one right now and slated to grab up three more by end of 04. Last year they were at $4 per share but pulled it up by close of 03. The company is pretty rich in cash and for the past three years has been buying back stock because they felt they were underated.

Anyone looked at Red Hat latley? I used to have some of thier stock but it tanked three years ago.
    whats the ticker sybol for k -force...i cannot find it...

Kfrc.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Being a day trader,I don't marry stocks,I trade them.The longest I'll hold a stock for is two days on a swing trade.I'd share my views,but obviously they're short term and would be of any use to a long term player.

Looking short term, and especially day trading, in order to make all the moves worthwhile, you need to be playing with a good chunk of change. How do you like day trading DB?? Do you still find it exciting or are you looking for less stress?

Looking short term, and especially day trading, in order to make all the moves worthwhile, you need to be playing with a good chunk of change. How do you like day trading DB?? Do you still find it exciting or are you looking for less stress?
    Good question.Right now I still enjoy it very much.But eventually the stress will take it's toll and i'll have to consider other trading styles.I already see myself leaning more towards swing trades rather than battle it out all day doing 30-50 trades.But right now I still have a hard time looking deep into the future.I think I go blind at the 6 month mark..lol..

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    IGT. stock has been a champ for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Good question.Right now I still enjoy it very much.But eventually the stress will take it's toll and i'll have to consider other trading styles.I already see myself leaning more towards swing trades rather than battle it out all day doing 30-50 trades.But right now I still have a hard time looking deep into the future.I think I go blind at the 6 month mark..lol..

I hear you on that.....the future is tuff to read sometimes.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm waiting until the election is over before I even consider buying a stock. The Federal Reserve already hinted that interest rates would remain unchanged in the near future(Source: Fed Monetary Report). Greenspan & Co. certainly won't increase interest rates during an election year since the burden will fall on Bush's shoulders and affect his chances of getting re-elected.

As a result of the Fed's neutral stance on monetary expansion policy, I'm keeping my bearish outlook (on the stock market) at least until there are more signs of a recovering economy. Once job growth numbers steadily increase I will reconsider my position. Right now, the glass is half empty!

~US~

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Being a day trader,I don't marry stocks,I trade them.The longest I'll hold a stock for is two days on a swing trade.I'd share my views,but obviously they're short term and would be of any use to a long term player.
    How do you find stocks that are good to buy for such a short period of time? Thats quite risky isnt it? Do you just rely on the daily price fluctuations to make your profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostsoul
    How do you find stocks that are good to buy for such a short period of time? Thats quite risky isnt it? Do you just rely on the daily price fluctuations to make your profit?
    I have a list of 300 stocks I track year round.So after a while you know all these stocks very well and how they react to different market conditions.
    To answer your second question..the moment anyone puts money into the market it's at risk.When I buy into a stock,I set a stoploss right away.This is my protection.If the stock takes a dip intra day and I get stopped out,no big deal.I lost 2% on that trade.
    And to answer your third question.......on slow days I'll scalp stocks.Which means taking a .25 price move.Have to buy quite a bit of stock to make those trades worth while though.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Smart post bro and I tend to agree with you...

There are opportunities out there in the right sectors...

Just timed buying SUNW at the right time as shares to

a big hit with the drop in bond status and then they just

settled their dispute with microsoft and the stock rebounded

and should show some positive growth now... You are dead

on the money about the election year effecting the markets...

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    I'm waiting until the election is over before I even consider buying a stock. The Federal Reserve already hinted that interest rates would remain unchanged in the near future(Source: Fed Monetary Report). Greenspan & Co. certainly won't increase interest rates during an election year since the burden will fall on Bush's shoulders and affect his chances of getting re-elected.

As a result of the Fed's neutral stance on monetary expansion policy, I'm keeping my bearish outlook (on the stock market) at least until there are more signs of a recovering economy. Once job growth numbers steadily increase I will reconsider my position. Right now, the glass is half empty!

~US~

DF2003 is offline Banned Boofus
    All I Got To Say Is ***sywc**** I Bought 40k Shares Around 20 Cents And Its Now At 70 Cents With A High Of 1.80 Last Month. I Think This Will Be A Nice Stock To Have Especialy If They Get This Contract With Homeland Security. You Could Have Bought 1 Miliion Shares Last Year For A Penny Each And Today You Would Almost Be A Millionare. Check It Out.

cape_train is offline New Member
    I prefer to buy higher priced stocks and swing trade them. The daily moves are bigger so you can take profits much quicker. Seems to be working well in this choppy market.

For example I just bought 100 of RIMM and sold in one day for a nice profit. Small scalps like this add up to big profits in the long run.

Right now I am in 200 of DGX and 100 of MBT.

sweet info bros! I'm keeping this bumped...

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Recently bought stock in Jet Blue.

mista_liar is offline Associate Member

Obdp/auml

Just saw this older thread and wanted to share some good fortune with my fella bros! OBDP is a company called Orbit Drop, recently purchased by Vanquish Productions in Houston. They are also invested in AUML, a company called Auction Mills which a friend of mine owns.

These two companies each trade under their respective symbols, OBDP and AUML and are Ebay drop off stores with huge franchise potential. I personally know the owner of AUML and have the inside scoop on this entire business end to end. Ebay estmates an additional 10B in revenue for 2005 to be generated by this relatively new ebay drop off store business.

Anyways, I personally purchased 2k shares around .62 and another lot at .63. I've been told to drop out around $4 by the large investors of these two companies, and wait out additional market cap and growth.

Have fun!

yooo is offline Associate Member
    Apple and Taser seem to be of high potential... Also, id look into CMGI and Lucent..
    IPO's with great potential are the way to go!

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Looks like you picked a good one in orbit drop bro, they're cruising very nicely. Might pick some up myself actually.. could use some extra $$.

Quote Originally Posted by mista_liar
    Just saw this older thread and wanted to share some good fortune with my fella bros! OBDP is a company called Orbit Drop, recently purchased by Vanquish Productions in Houston. They are also invested in AUML, a company called Auction Mills which a friend of mine owns.

These two companies each trade under their respective symbols, OBDP and AUML and are Ebay drop off stores with huge franchise potential. I personally know the owner of AUML and have the inside scoop on this entire business end to end. Ebay estmates an additional 10B in revenue for 2005 to be generated by this relatively new ebay drop off store business.

Anyways, I personally purchased 2k shares around .62 and another lot at .63. I've been told to drop out around $4 by the large investors of these two companies, and wait out additional market cap and growth.

Have fun!

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I picked up some Sirius stock but its pissing me off cuz its dropped about $2 so far...but hopefully it shoots up. I am trying to learn more about this stuff but so many terms.

Thread Information