Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

The Iron & Maltese Cross

The Maltese Cross

The definition of a Maltese Cross is one which conforms to a strict definition ("a cross of made from four straight lined pointed arrowheads, meeting at their points, with the ends of the arms consisting of indented 'v's") is without doubt a Christian symbol. However before examining the use of the cross described as "Maltese", the meaning of the cross needs to be considered.

The Cross as a Christian Symbol.

The cross is a symbol adopted to remind Christians of our Lord's saving death - and with an empty cross his resurrection! Otherwise it is a quite neutral symbol, often in its form of equal sized arms, used in art due to the symmetry of design. Even as used by Christians, Christian artists have been inspired to produce many variations on the theme. Christian countries used the cross as the main symbol of decorations awarded to those who served the nation.

The Maltese cross, used as an identifying insignia on the habit of the Knights of Malta, was for the purpose of identifying themselves from their enemies. The Knights of Malta, also known as the Knights of St. John or the "hospitialers" was a religious order founded by Amalfitian merchants around the year 1070. The purpose of the order was to aid and care for pilgrims making the journey to the Holy Land. In 1136 the knights became a fully militarized order. The Knights driven out of Syria had been fleeing years of persecution by Islamic forces acquired Malta as their Sovereign Land from Charles V of Spain in 1530. This is the time that the Maltese Cross evolved into the present day form. The cross is described as a white eight pointed cross.
    The eight points of the cross are believed to represent the eight vows the knights had to observe:

1) live in truth;
    2) have faith;
    3) repent of sins;
    4) give proof of humility;
    5) love justice;
    6) be merciful;
    7) be sincere and whole hearted;
    8) endure persecution.

Although many countries and organizations throughout the world use crosses that are similar if not exact in shape to the Maltese Cross, the fact remains that the Maltese Cross has its own specific purpose and should not be confused with other decorations or medals that have their own purpose.

The Iron Cross

The iron cross was originally introduced in 1813 by Kaiser Frederic Wilhelm and designed by Karl Friedrich as a campaign medal award- ed for acts of heroism, bravery and leadership. The original iron cross consisted of a blackened iron core in the shape of the cross patt`ee, surrounded by a two-piece silver frame that is soldered together. The center of the cross has a sprig of three oak leaves, while the upper arm has the cipher FW (Frederic Willhelm) surmounted by the Prussian crown, and the lower arm has 1813 for the year of introduction; the reverse of the medal is plain. The iron cross reintroduced in the Franco Prussian War of 1870 - 1871 and in the First World War 1914 - 1918 differed only slightly from the original. The face of the medal was altered by placing the cipher W in the center of the cross, the Prussian cross on the upper arm and the year of the individual war on the bottom arm. The reverse of the medal was the same as the face of the original iron cross.

Adolf Hitler reintroduced the iron cross for the last time on Sept. 1st, 1939. Once again the decoration of the cross was altered. The cipher W was replaced with the Swastika, and the lower arm the year date 1939, the reverse only has the introduction date 1813 on the lower arm.

There are three classifications of the iron cross; the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross, the Iron Cross first class and the Iron Cross second class. The crosses of each class look identical, the designation between them is the manner in which they are worn. The Grand Cross was slightly larger than the first and second class crosses and was worn around the neck from a ribbon. The Iron Cross first class was either a pinned back or a screw back medal worn on the left side of the recipient's uniform. The Iron Cross second class was worn suspended from a ribbon on the left side of the recipient's uniform.

The first three periods of introduction had a non-combatant's version of the Iron Cross and were awarded regardless of nationality. The designation between the combatant's and non-combatant version were the orders in which the colors on the ribbons appeared. The combatant ribbon would have strips of color in the following order; black, white, broad black, white, black. The non-combatant's version would be the reverse; white, black, broad white, black, white. This is the only differentiation between the two versions.
    The 1939 version of the Iron Cross was awarded in seven grades:

1) Iron Cross second class
    2) Iron Cross 1st class
    3) Knights Cross of the Iron Cross
    4) Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with oak leaves
    5) Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with oak leaves and swords
    6) Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with oak leaves, swords and diamonds
    7) Grand Cross of the Iron Cross.

Hitler did not reintroduce the non-combatant version of the Iron Cross. He instead established the War Merit Cross. The ribbon colors of the Iron Cross were also changed in 1939. The colors were black, white, broad brick red, white, black; the broad red stripe was instituted into the ribbon to represent the blood shed in the First World War.

The meaning behind the Iron Cross represents the same principal value as other cross medals such as the British Military Cross, Victoria Cross, or the United States Distinguished Flying Cross, Navy Cross, or Army Distinguished Service Cross. It is unfortunate that the Iron Cross is not held in such high esteem as these other medals.

Many today believe that the iron cross no longer has such a negative association with it. It has been brought into the mainstream ironically by bikers and more specifically, chopper builders and riders. Most today feel that the Iron Cross is one’s badge of belonging to the chopper world and also a symbol of courage and freedom. It should be worn proudly.

Thanks to Choppers.com

radar1234 is offline Member
    who has one?

I Do, as do many others here...
    I used to have the Iron Cross as my avatar as well:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Iron & Maltese Cross-socal.jpg  

im not trying to be an ass but what does this have to do withy the other thread?

Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    im not trying to be an ass but what does this have to do withy the other thread?
    If you read the posts, you will see one about the Iron Cross, and about a member being called racist for having one as his avatar...

decadbal is offline Banned
    the race card....clearly something played by mental migets..

are you talking about the spider web on bdtr's elbow?

Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    are you talking about the spider web on bdtr's elbow?
    No, I'm talking about the iron cross... read the thread.. someone was called a racist for having it as his avatar..... whether they were serious or not, this thread is educational...

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    No, I'm talking about the iron cross... read the thread.. someone was called a racist for having it as his avatar..... whether they were serious or not, this thread is educational...
    i gotcha!

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    From www.shutitdown.net/gangtattoos

A case in point is the spider web tattooed on one's elbow. Among gang members, this tattoo was a code, readable by other gangsters in prison and on the outside, showing that the bearer had served serious time in the penitentiary. In some parts of the country the same tattoo meant that the wearer had killed a member of a minority group. In fact, James Burmeister was convicted in 1995 of killing a black couple, an act he committed solely because he wanted to wear the spider web tattoo that was popular among members of the Aryan Brotherhood. But while this tattoo holds powerful and specific significance for gang members, to the middle class that has co-opted the symbol it has no meaning beyond the idea that it is simply "cool." Thus Robert Van Winkle (formerly famous as the rapper Vanilla Ice) and Lars Frederiksen of the band Rancid both sport spiderweb tattoos. In a 1996 episode of Melrose Place, one of the characters gets drunk before going to tattoo parlor and wakes up the next day with a huge spider web tattooed on his elbow.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    I wear a maltese cross every day and am proud of it

it represents that I put my life on the line to save others

^^^^^

Exactly

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    AND FOR COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY... I AM IN NO WAY A NAZI

I just think it is interesting how people immediately assume one meaning for a symbol when they are ignorant to the other possible meanings. Reminds me of the confusion between the maltese and iron crosses.

This is from www.About.com, an educational site.

What Does the Swastika Mean Now?
    There is a great debate as to what the swastika means now. For 3,000 years, the swastika meant life and good luck. But because of the Nazis, it has also taken on a meaning of death and hate.

These conflicting meanings are causing problems in today's society. For Buddhists and Hindus, the swastika is a very religious symbol that is commonly used. Chirag Badlani shares a story about one time when he went to make some photocopies of some Hindu Gods for his temple. While standing in line to pay for the photocopies, some people behind him in line noticed that one of the pictures had a swastika. They called him a Nazi.

Unfortunately, the Nazis were so effective at their use of the swastika emblem, that many do not even know any other meaning for the swastika. Can there be two completely opposite meanings for one symbol?

In ancient times, the direction of the swastika was interchangeable as can be seen on an ancient Chinese silk drawing.

Some cultures in the past had differentiated between the clockwise swastika and the counter-clockwise sauvastika. In these cultures the swastika symbolized health and life while the sauvastika took on a mystical meaning of bad-luck or misfortune.

But since the Nazis use of the swastika, some people are trying to differentiate the two meanings of the swastika by varying its direction - trying to make the clockwise, Nazi version of the swastika mean hate and death while the counter-clockwise version would hold the ancient meaning of the symbol, life and good-luck.

At the old highschool that was torn down in a town nearby, when they were ripping up the old carpet and tile they got down on the original tiling. there were many indian tribe symbols on it. one was a swastica

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    The thread was made by me and I DID NOT CALL ANYONE A RASIST! I simply asked what does the avatar stand for, because I thought it stood for an WW2 iron cross, he replyed what it was and I made no further comments.

Quote Originally Posted by bor
    The thread was made by me and I DID NOT CALL ANYONE A RASIST! I simply asked what does the avatar stand for, because I thought it stood for an WW2 iron cross, he replyed what it was and I made no further comments.

thats true, ive seen others here call it racist though. you didnt.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not offended by the crosss by itself. But once you add the Nazi Swastika to it id probably bust someones jaw if i saw them wearing it proudly...But thats just me...

OG

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    From www.shutitdown.net/gangtattoos

A case in point is the spider web tattooed on one's elbow. Among gang members, this tattoo was a code, readable by other gangsters in prison and on the outside, showing that the bearer had served serious time in the penitentiary. In some parts of the country the same tattoo meant that the wearer had killed a member of a minority group. In fact, James Burmeister was convicted in 1995 of killing a black couple, an act he committed solely because he wanted to wear the spider web tattoo that was popular among members of the Aryan Brotherhood. But while this tattoo holds powerful and specific significance for gang members, to the middle class that has co-opted the symbol it has no meaning beyond the idea that it is simply "cool." Thus Robert Van Winkle (formerly famous as the rapper Vanilla Ice) and Lars Frederiksen of the band Rancid both sport spiderweb tattoos. In a 1996 episode of Melrose Place, one of the characters gets drunk before going to tattoo parlor and wakes up the next day with a huge spider web tattooed on his elbow.
    1.bdtr's thread was being called racist.
    2.bdtr has done time for serious offences.
    3.people in prison tend to hang with their own kind.
    4.if you are in prison and you are sporting a web on your elbow you had better have earned it.(did he?who cares.thats not my point.)
    my point is that maybe he is a rasist.he should just man up and say so.

thats it. have fun for 2 wks off. you will NOT insult the staff here and you will NOT keep trying to start ****.

Quote Originally Posted by bor
    My bad, but like Billy said, others have.... and I wasn't mad at ya haha .. just made this to educate people that may not know

BB i believe bdtr is racist and anti-semetic and iv told him so on more then on occasion. IMHO i dont think radar did anything wrong but state the obvious....Just my .02 that doesnt mean shiat...

OG

BDTR is offline Retired
    Why am i racist an anti-semetic? I dislike Israel a great deal, i feel they represent a chokehold on America. I dislike them as a COUNTRY, and i'm against support of them. SO if hating Israel as a COUNTRY is anti-semetic, then i guess I am. Do you hate arabs or just dislike terrorists and Iraq? I feel Israel has done more damage to us than any other middle eastern country, and many here feel that way as well, judging by the pm's i get everytime one of these posts go up but not many will actually speak up about it. I hate the government, not the people and i'm totally against the support of them. Get it?

As for being racist... please. I don't like ghetto dwelling gang bangers, and i dont like those who want anything for free because they feel they're owed. I have no problems with anyone who trys to succede the right way and does it on their own. I just despise unmotivated people who try and take the easy way out, both white and black.

So I guess i'm hitler because i say what others think and i dont hold back.

I didn't read the other thread yet as I just got home from work, but i'm sure it'll be great.

Quote Originally Posted by OGPackin
    BB i believe bdtr is racist and anti-semetic and iv told him so on more then on occasion. IMHO i dont think radar did anything wrong but state the obvious....Just my .02 that doesnt mean shiat...

OG

well no one on here is as blatantly racists as the black gay guy on the real world... if a white boy said some of the crap that POS did, MTV would sue his white ass.... dbl standerd on that part needs to end.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Ohhh my spiderweb tattoo again, i see now. Because i've done time and was white, i must have rolled with AB right? I'd watch the accusations on that one, because it's just plain ignorant.

It's a tattoo, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Why am i racist an anti-semetic? I dislike Israel a great deal, i feel they represent a chokehold on America. I dislike them as a COUNTRY, and i'm against support of them. SO if hating Israel as a COUNTRY is anti-semetic, then i guess I am. Do you hate arabs or just dislike terrorists and Iraq? I feel Israel has done more damage to us than any other middle eastern country, and many here feel that way as well, judging by the pm's i get everytime one of these posts go up but not many will actually speak up about it. I hate the government, not the people and i'm totally against the support of them. Get it?

As for being racist... please. I don't like ghetto dwelling gang bangers, and i dont like those who want anything for free because they feel they're owed. I have no problems with anyone who trys to succede the right way and does it on their own. I just despise unmotivated people who try and take the easy way out, both white and black.

So I guess i'm hitler because i say what others think and i dont hold back.

I didn't read the other thread yet as I just got home from work, but i'm sure it'll be great.
    When you say "Israel" has a choke hold you mean Jews right? Cause explain to me how Israel as a country has a choke hold over the US...? The US supports and gives a **** load of money to other countries not just to Israel. Just look at how much the US is spending on rebuilding Iraq.

So if you can logically explain to me how Israel has a choke hold over the US i will retract my statement and apologize to you. But deep down you and I know how you feel..

OG

BDTR is offline Retired
    When i say Israel, I don't mean jews, get it through your head. I dont mean jews run all the banks, the media etc.. I mean when Israel says jump, the USA says how high. Where do you think the israel airforce got their bombers? Who makes their weapons? Why do you think the USA is a bigger target for terrorism than Israel. If someone i know killed someone and the dead persons brother came into my house at night and slit my throat, I would be more angry at the person who killed someone to cause this.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Let's get a couple things straight here. I am in no way "racist" at all, and the cross in my avatar shouldn't clarify that I am racist or connected to a racist group because it flat out doesn't. Second, what I belive in has nothing to do with anything Hitler ever did. I believe when people fall flat on their face they need to pick themselves up instead of relying on the governments crutch. And that applies to all people, not just a selective list concerning skin color or race. Hitler attempted genocide because he believed that Jews specificly threatened the future of Germany. So what did he do, he killed them all. You can only generalize the weak by using traits of weakness, and Hitler decided to use religion and just kill people who fit his bill. That very much differs from me because I resent people who can't get off of their lazy asses and work would rather suck up my hard earned money so they can buy crack when the section 8 comes in. Please don't correlate my views on society and my avatar with racism/Adolf Hitler.
    Last edited by cjp85; 01-27-2005 at 06:17 PM.

BDTR is offline Retired
    OG, hurry up and respond so I can get something to eat, im starving over here.

When i say Israel, I don't mean jews, get it through your head. I dont mean jews run all the banks, the media etc.. I mean when Israel says jump, the USA says how high. Where do you think the israel airforce got their bombers? Who makes their weapons? Why do you think the USA is a bigger target for terrorism than Israel. If someone i know killed someone and the dead persons brother came into my house at night and slit my throat, I would be more angry at the person who killed someone to cause this.
    You've got to be kidding me?!? How can you say "USA is a bigger target for terrorism than Israel" when Israel is attacked by terrorists almost everyday. And as for the US "SELLING" planes and or weapons to Israel i dont see anything wrong with that, and i dont really understand why you would use that as an example. The US "sells" planes and or weapons to more countries then i can list. So i really dont see the point..?

Here are just a few examples of how people (US) have benefited from the Israel's contributions...

An Israeli company has developed a simple blood test that distinguishes between mild and more severe cases of Multiple Sclerosis. So, if you know anyone suffering from MS, tell them to ignore the Israeli patent that may, more accurately, diagnose their symptoms.

An Israeli-made device helps restore the use of paralyzed hands. This device electrically stimulates the hand muscles, providing hope to millions of stroke sufferers and victims of spinal injuries. If you wish to remove this hope of a better quality of life to these people.

Young children with breathing problems will soon be sleeping more soundly, thanks to a new Israeli device called the Child Hood. This innovation replaces the inhalation mask with an improved drug delivery system that provides relief for child and parent. Please tell anxious mothers that they shouldn't use this device because of your passionate cause.

A new research center in Israel hopes to throw light on brain disorders such as depression and Alzheimer's disease.

A researcher at Israel's Ben Gurion University has succeeded in creating human monoclonal antibodies which can neutralize the highly contagious smallpox virus without inducing the dangerous side effects of the existing vaccine.

Two Israelis received the 2004 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Doctors Ciechanover and Hershko's research and discovery of one of the human cells most important cyclical processes will lead the way to DNA repair, control of newly produced proteins, and immune defense systems.

The Movement Disorder Surgery program at Israel's Hadassah Medical Center has successfully eliminated the physical manifestations of Parkinson's disease in a select group of patients with a deep brain stimulation technique.

For women who undergo hysterectomies each year for treatment of uterine fibroids, the development in Israel of the ExAblate 2000 System is a welcome breakthrough, offering a non-invasive alternative to surgery. Israel is developing a nose drop that will provide a five-year flu vaccine.

Most of Windows operating systems were developed by Microsoft-Israel.

The Pentium NMX Chip technology was designed at Intel in Israel. Both the Pentium 4 microprocessor and the Centrium processor were entirely designed, developed, and produced in Israel.

Voice mail technology was developed in Israel. The technology for the AOL Instant Messenger ICQ was developed in 1996 in Israel by four young Israeli whiz kids. Both Microsoft and Cisco built their only R.& D. facilities outside the US in Israel.

Cellphone technology was also developed in Israel by Motorola, which has its biggest development center in Israel. Israeli scientists developed most of the latest technology in your mobile phone.

I can keep going with what Israel has contributed to the world if you want...?

OG

OG, hurry up and respond so I can get something to eat, im starving over here.
    hahaha...sorry it took so long. I had a lot to say...

OG

BDTR is offline Retired
    When did i say Israel has never invented anything for the greater good of the world?!? No one is questioning their contributions to advancement of medical breakthroughs nor their technologic contributions to the world.

I'm actually bowing out of this argument right now, as we've had it many times before and it leads nowhere. It's like a tug of war with two equally strong individuals and no one will give an inch.

Besides, this thread is about my spider web tattoo so it seems. sigh.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I know you were busy counting your money, taking over companies and making movies, so its ok. j/k

hahaha...sorry it took so long. I had a lot to say...

OG

no im sorry kyle, i dont have any jewish candy..

When did i say Israel has never invented anything for the greater good of the world?!? No one is questioning their contributions to advancement of medical breakthroughs nor their technologic contributions to the world.

I'm actually bowing out of this argument right now, as we've had it many times before and it leads nowhere. It's like a tug of war with two equally strong individuals and no one will give an inch.

Yes we've butted heads on this subject to many times bro....I dont hate or dislike you i just want you to know. I may not agree with your views, but we can agree to disagree......And just for the record i dont think your tat is racist.

OG

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I know you were busy counting your money, taking over companies and making movies, so its ok. j/k
    I was busy opening another bottle of whiskey, otherwise I'd have beat your ass bitch

Watch out i have my sights set on AR next....

OG

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    no im sorry kyle, i dont have any jewish candy..
    Dude WTF! I cant believe you would post that Deca ...Im mad now...

OG

Dude WTF! I cant believe you would post that Deca ...Im mad now...

OG
    somehow i knew youd start whining...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    somehow i knew youd start whining...lol
    Meng that just not right! I thought we were friends...I want my ring back

OG

Nope, this thread wasn't supposed to be about you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information