anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive

Starting my EMT class tonight

well guys, im finally getting my ass in gear.. i been researching on the steps to becoming a fireman and getting EMT certified was one of the most important steps.. so tonight i start class, for the next 3 and a half months i gotta go every tuesday and thursday night.. this is a big deal to me because school work was never my strong point.. i was a screw off in highschool, just barely passed everything. for the last 3 years i put off going to college or any other classes with the excuse that i didnt want to go because i didnt want to waste my time since i didnt know what i wanted to do..im soo nervous because im scared of failure, due to having trouble paying attention in classes.. but im going to try really hard because i need to get a career going. im 22 now and want to start a family with my girl. i dont want to be in the same situation when im 30. so wish me luck fellas..!

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmark
    well guys, im finally getting my ass in gear.. i been researching on the steps to becoming a fireman and getting EMT certified was one of the most important steps.. so tonight i start class, for the next 3 and a half months i gotta go every tuesday and thursday night.. this is a big deal to me because school work was never my strong point.. i was a screw off in highschool, just barely passed everything. for the last 3 years i put off going to college or any other classes with the excuse that i didnt want to go because i didnt want to waste my time since i didnt know what i wanted to do..im soo nervous because im scared of failure, due to having trouble paying attention in classes.. but im going to try really hard because i need to get a career going. im 22 now and want to start a family with my girl. i dont want to be in the same situation when im 30. so wish me luck fellas..!

Good luck PM. :spudniklu

Welcome to the club bro!

You'll soon realize that this is probably the most rewarding schoolwork you've ever done.

I was also a major screw-up in HS and college, never took anything seriously... then I went into the EMS/Fire/Rescue field and it changed my life. I knew I was studying and practicing stuff (over and over!) for a reason, and furthermore I knew that anything I failed to learn properly could cost someone their life. Trust me, that kicks things up a notch in how seriously you take your studies, "just coasting by" is no longer an option...

Good luck bro, I've no doubt you'll do all the FF/EMS bros on this board proud.

Red

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Good luck, just wait till you get to the paramedic part, that sucks. Need any help let me know.

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Good luck with that man. My brother just got hired on at our county's fire department and he loves it. After a few shifts, that lazy punk gets 8 days off!!!

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Good luck. I loved being an EMT. That was THE hardest test I've ever taken. Aced the childbirth sectio .

Study hard.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Congrats Bro on making your decision to begin your education for such an important career. You will really have the opportunity to help people and make a real difference in people's lives. As far as being concerned about the academic aspects of becoming an EMT let me tell you - YOU CAN DO IT! Learning is more about discipline than it is about intelligence. Use what you have learned from bodybuilding. Plan, implement, and stay with it. Treat your education as an important priority. If you need help with certain classes get a tutor (as many others before you have). Go for your goal! Don't ever give up!!

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    Thanks alot everyone for the words of encouragement! ive been told that its not all that difficult of a class.. i have a buddy who is also an emt volunteer he told me that i can go on drive with him when id like to which should help.. also my girlfriend should be very helpful with my studying (shes got her masters in forensics.. yea we are complete opposites when it comes to school). shes good with the anatomy and with studying all together.. well im off..

EMT is like oh can you wait until the paramedics get here. I remember getting my EMT license and thought I was going to save the world. In realty it's like here some oxygen.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Best of Luck to ya

Quote Originally Posted by groverman1
    EMT is like oh can you wait until the paramedics get here. I remember getting my EMT license and thought I was going to save the world. In realty it's like here some oxygen.
    Hey hey hey! Give the guy a break! We all gotta start somewhere!

I'm just a basic EMT myself, my FD didn't run medical calls so most of us were only EMT or First-Responder (the guys were all willing to run medical calls, but the town didn't want to flip the bill so they never allowed it... darn politicians!)

Besides, maybe he'd like to specialize in something other than EMT-P, on top of fighting the fires, there are so many cool things to specialize in... fun stuff like closed quarters rescue (collapses), high angle rescue (ropes), Hazmat (guess what I specialized in ), water and ice rescue... and so on...

What a lot of people don't realize is that firefighters touch so many different fields that though all firefighters must have a good basic knowledge of all the fields, many will choose one or two and specialize in it. Kind of like doctors...

Red

Come on Red, you know all smokeaters are all the same, just preparing him for his probation, and you must be crazy to be on a hazmat team. I'll stick to SWAT-medic. Later gm1

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Good luck man.. I want to do the same thing, or at least similar. Seems a few people here have some experience. Im not robbing this thread, just ask for pm's if you have info. I was going PJ in the military (para-rescue), trained for it, had papers signed, but ended up not doing it because of family concerns, etc. Well, my question, i want to find some kind of rescue/paramedic/mt rescue or something similar to a PJ but on the civilian side. Is there such a thing?

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groverman1
    In realty it's like here some oxygen.
    Or a baby aspirin. :spudniklu

jonnytour is offline Member
    Congrats bro. I work for a company that sells pre-hospital medical equipment. I deal with alot of paramedics and Fire Fighters. My bro. is a volunteer fire fighter as well, and my other bro. is going to be going to college to become a Paramedic. Good luck and have fun!

Thread Information