OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

Rap Mogul, Drug Kingpin Surrender to Feds

<shakes> head!

OG

(AP) Irv "Gotti" Lorenzo, head of The Inc., left, whose flagship artists are Ja Rule and Ashanti, is...

NEW YORK (AP) - The hip-hop label behind music superstars Ashanti and Ja Rule was part of a murderous criminal enterprise that protected its interstate crack and heroin operation with calculated street assassinations, federal authorities charged Wednesday.

Label head Irv "Gotti" Lorenzo and his brother Christopher surrendered to the FBI on money-laundering charges Wednesday as federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment seeking to confiscate Irv Gotti's real estate and business holdings.

Gotti's childhood friend, Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff, one of New York's most notorious drug kingpins, was charged with murder, racketeering and other crimes that prosecutors said were intended to eliminate and intimidate potential witnesses.

McGriff already is in prison on a relatively minor gun charge.

(AP) Irv "Gotti" Lorenzo, head of The Inc., record label, center, is walked out of a federal building by...
    Full Image

Prosecutors said McGriff and the Gottis funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars in McGriff's drug profits through The Inc., a chart-topping label owned partly by Def Jam, a subsidiary of Universal Music.

Recording in a studio dubbed "The Crackhouse," The Inc. has sold about 20 million records behind Ja Rule and Ashanti, who were not charged in the indictment. Ja Rule's current album, "R.U.L.E.," peaked at No. 7 on the Billboard chart. Ashanti is now appearing in the movie "Coach Carter," which debuted atop the box office list two weeks ago.

The charges were not expected to have a major impact on Universal. A source familiar with the Universal/Gotti joint venture said the arrangement would be dissolved if Gotti is convicted. A Universal spokesman declined to comment.

Defense lawyer Gerald Lefcourt said the Gotti brothers had been unfairly targeted for trying to help a respected figure from their rough Queens neighborhood. "I think it's a perfectly legitimate operation," Lefcourt said Wednesday. "Ultimately I expect Irv and Chris to be vindicated."

McGriff's lawyer, Robert Simels, said his client told him from prison Wednesday "that it's a shame that people who tried to help him in a legitimate way are involved in defending themselves in a criminal case."

The indictment charges McGriff and his associates with running a drug operation stretching from New York through Baltimore into North Carolina.

McGriff and his partners delivered hundreds of thousands of dollars in drug proceeds to the Manhattan offices of Murder Inc., according to the indictment. In exchange, Irv Gotti paid McGriff's travel and hotel expenses and cut him checks from Gotti's personal and business accounts, prosecutors charge.

The indictment charges McGriff and several associates with the murder of potential government cooperators Dwayne Thomas and Karon "Buddha" Clarrett outside a Baltimore-area stash house in August 2001. They also are charged with the slaying of up-and-coming rapper E-Money Bags that summer.

McGriff, 44, founded the Supreme Team, once one of the city's most violent drug crews. Investigators suspect that after he finished serving about nine years for drug conspiracy in 1997, he set about reviving his lucrative - and deadly - drug-dealing operation.

Federal agents closed in on McGriff and the Gottis in recent months with arrests that netted Ja Rule's manager and a bookkeeper for The Inc., who also are named in Wednesday's indictment. At least five other defendants, including associates of McGriff, already have been charged.

The Inc. was founded as Murder Inc. in 1997

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    gotta love them rappers, dam criminals

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Excellent..........

Thanks for making me smile OG

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Hasnt this been rumored for a couple years now???

mushroomstampr is offline Associate Member
    is this even real?

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    What a suprise...thats pretty ****ed up though.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroomstampr
    is this even real?
    Its very real bro...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/26/ra....ap/index.html

OG

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    Hasnt this been rumored for a couple years now???

Yeah it has, it was rumored that the lable was started from illegitament operations........but I would've thought with all the money they've made they wouldn't still be doign that stuff. All they did was risk all the money they've made for a little bit more. Stupid is as stupid does........

I love how their lawyer talks about how he feels this is "a perfectly legitimate operation." Its going to take some smooth talking on his part to back up that statement. He'll be like: "Well, let me clairify. I think this operation could have been legal, provided the illegal monies were never involved. The actual producing of records was totally legal, but the money laundering is up in the air. It could have just been my clients haning onto money for some freinds."

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    Yeah it has, it was rumored that the lable was started from illegitament operations........but I would've thought with all the money they've made they wouldn't still be doign that stuff. All they did was risk all the money they've made for a little bit more. Stupid is as stupid does........

I love how their lawyer talks about how he feels this is "a perfectly legitimate operation." Its going to take some smooth talking on his part to back up that statement. He'll be like: "Well, let me clairify. I think this operation could have been legal, provided the illegal monies were never involved."
    hahaha...Hey you even sound like a lawyer...lol

OG

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    It's Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurder!!!!!!!!

~SC~

mushroomstampr is offline Associate Member
    lol swole

gya321 is offline Member
    hah thats funny sh1t. Theres no good rappers on that label anyway

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I just gotta be real and say what's on my mind...
    You can take the (blank) out the hood, but you
    CAN'T take the Hood out the (blank)... And you
    all know it regardless of color, let's all be real...

No surprise at all there if you ask me...

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    **** thugs! i say kill em all!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    G G G G G UNIT!!!!!!!

U know Eminem/Dre/50/Banks/Buck/Yayo/Game/Sha Money XL/etc., are all laughing their respective asses off.

~SC~

~SC~

GetinBig is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    G G G G G UNIT!!!!!!!

U know Eminem/Dre/50/Banks/Buck/Yayo/Game/Sha Money XL/etc., are all laughing their respective asses off.

~SC~

~SC~

Yes they are.lol

There will be a song on this by 50

9000rpm is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buff87
    I just gotta be real and say what's on my mind...
    You can take the (blank) out the hood, but you
    CAN'T take the Hood out the (blank)... And you
    all know it regardless of color, let's all be real...

No surprise at all there if you ask me...
    Very true, and it goes for all races. All races have their trash.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    G G G G G UNIT!!!!!!!

~SC~

~SC~

now your talking

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Very true, but if you've ever spent sometime in the hood all over
    the place you know what I mean, I don't even need to say a word....

Quote Originally Posted by 9000rpm
    Very true, and it goes for all races. All races have their trash.

Thread Information