Elysium is offline Productive Member

16 days on, 16 days off... Shift work!

Hey all,

My dads a aircraft engineer, now works on a contract basis (ALOT more money). Hes just started with a company, whos paying him a crazy amount to work for them, anyways, he works 16 days straight then has 16 days off! Thats mad huh? Could you do it? I suppose you have to think about them 16 days off all the time, i reckon i could do it quite easily. Anyone else have a shift pattern like this? Or has done that in the past?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Its comon to work like that when your on building sites. 7-20 days on, svamped with work that hafto get finished, you make a ****load of money. But it isnt something you can do for a long period of time, you get burned out. Backs brake

Be Real is offline Banned
    Plant workers near me who work at oil refinieries work shift work, they are usually 7 days on 7 days off. I think by law they wouldnt allow 16 day in US. But they do make incredible money for being high school graduates and many of them can barely put together a sentence. But due to their high risk level and shift work and being away from family they pull in 70-100K.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    Plant workers near me who work at oil refinieries work shift work, they are usually 7 days on 7 days off. I think by law they wouldnt allow 16 day in US. But they do make incredible money for being high school graduates and many of them can barely put together a sentence. But due to their high risk level and shift work and being away from family they pull in 70-100K.
    Yea 16 days if fine in the UK as long as there is a certain amount of time between each day shift. Hes done this kind of work for about 4/5 years now, he says its the best move he evermade to leave the company he was with and go at it on a contract basis

Be Real is offline Banned
    I couldnt do that kind of work becuase i'm the person who needs to do work and have breaks. The long periods of work would get extrememly tedious for a while and eat at me. Then on the flip side the long breaks would get extremely boring after 4-5 days and I'd want to get back to work.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    We get that all of the time in Construction,

During the busy times of the jobs, we will work 7 days a week, for months at a time,

But it pays very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    I couldnt do that kind of work becuase i'm the person who needs to do work and have breaks. The long periods of work would get extrememly tedious for a while and eat at me. Then on the flip side the long breaks would get extremely boring after 4-5 days and I'd want to get back to work.
    Well hes got three little ones so.. enough to keep him busy. Hes earning the type of money to go on vacation once a month though, and hes got 16 days to have that vacation! Imagine working for 16 days, then going to any country in the world for a 2 week holiday. I do see what you mean though, 16 days is a hell of alot of time to be working in a row

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I dunno personally I would think that would rock! I could pull it off depending on how long the shift was each day

DownTownNY is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    I dunno personally I would think that would rock! I could pull it off depending on how long the shift was each day
    Rock on brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Differs, he does Days/Evenings/Nights it changes, but theres enough time to sleep etc inbetween them. Its a year contract, he usually does 1 year contracts, then auctions his skills off to the highest bidder.

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    Used to work like that. Worked 12 hour days at a soda company loading trucks 5 nights ( 10:30 - 11:00) 5 days week. Worked weekend at auto shop. Sucked ass....did nothing....and sucked ass.... I did what I had to...did it for 5 months...never again.

TheChosen1 is offline Member

I know what you mean, MessyUK. When I was in law enforcement in New Orleans, we were always "forced" to work 12 hour shifts for 10 days during the Mardi Gras seasons. IT SUCKED!!!

But ****, I miss The Big Easy.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    I thought I had it tough working 9 days a month then again I work a 54 hour wk. But then again I get paid to sleep and surf on AR.

Thread Information