Nathan is offline Retired Moderator

Now, I know what you're thinking...

...What are the optimal climate conditions in which to grow papayas? I'm just as lost as you, my friends. However, I, for one, plan on getting to the bottom of this.

Seriously though, has anyone ever growed tropical fruit before? If so, why?

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Papaya trees grow like weeds around here. When the fruits ripen and rot on the ground they smell like ****!

OG

BDTR is offline Retired
    I just ordered a pinapple and ham pizza. Does that count?

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not one for putting fruits on my pizza...gives me gas...lol

OG

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Ahhhhhh hawaiian style pizzza!!!! My mouth is WATERING!

God dammit... now I want some

Red

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Nathan..........where DO you come up with these things!!!!! LOL
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

BDTR is offline Retired
    I'm still waitin for it after 45 minutes, im pissed. A large pizza and 14 chicken tenders (the big kind) will make a good meal i think. mmmmmmmm hawiian pizza is the best.

Chicken tenders too?????? ok now I am crying... no fair!

Red

BDTR is offline Retired
    with honey mustard.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Curry curry with egg friend rice is my treat. Now I'm hungry. Its 02:15am here and nothing's open to order from. THANKS FOR NOTHING... As the man said to the virgin.

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    I don't need to grow the fruit I eat, they grow wild all over the place. OG's right papaya does grow like a weed but I don't give the fruit time to touch the ground tho. Mangos are a season right now eat about 30 of em today. lol

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Ohhhh big...send me some too....and some guavas and dunks and
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Yeap, grew them with may grandfather, God only knows why, he hated the **** things. I'm not kidding, he grew them and gave them away...of course they were gone in a second, **** things cost a buck or two. Great for drinks though.

Direct sunlight.....80-what the **** (It gets ****ing hot here in the summer) OG's right, they grow like weeds.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    I don't need to grow the fruit I eat, they grow wild all over the place. OG's right papaya does grow like a weed but I don't give the fruit time to touch the ground tho. Mangos are a season right now eat about 30 of em today. lol
    **** it! Now you have me missing hangin out in Jamaica.....I love mangos. Spent 18 months there with work and grew to really enjoy walking through the market and grabing freash fruit. And the green oranges are ripe...weird.

Ravi is offline Junior Member
    Here is a bunch of info on papayas

PROPAGATION
    Papaya is grown from seed. Dry seed may be stored for a year or more in airtight refrigerated containers. Fresh seeds will usually germinate in 10 to 14 days. Germination can be improved by removing the gelatinous outer seed coat (sarcotesta) before drying.
    Seeds are sown either in containers or directly in the ground. Transplanting container-grown plants is usually limited to areas where there is dependable rainfall or supplemental irrigation. When direct-sowing, 10 to 15 seeds are sown 1/4 to 1/2 in (63 to 127 mm) deep in each planting hole. To ensure adequate stands in lava lands, approximately 0.5 cubic feet (14.16 cubic dm) of soil should be placed in each planting hole. The soil helps to retain fertilizer nutrients and moisture.

SOIL TYPES and LOCATION
    Papaya grows well on many types of soil, but they must be adequately drained. Restricted soil drainage promotes root diseases. Most commercial production in Hawaii is on porous aa lava. Production on other soil types is limited to low rainfall areas where restricted drainage is less likely to cause problems. Heavy clay and pahoehoe lava soils should be avoided. Soil pH near neutral (pH 6.0 to 7.0) is preferred.
    Soil categories used for commercial production vary from island to island. On Hawaii, both aa lava and soils are used. On aa lava lands, additional soil is usually brought in and placed in the planting hole. The soils used for papaya on the island of Hawaii have a high preplant phosphorus fertilizer requirement. These soils, as well as the organic soils derived from lava, are usually acidic, and liming may be necessary. On Kauai the soils used for papaya usually require liming and high levels of phosphorus fertilization. On Oahu the soils on which papaya is grown are often poorly drained.
    Papaya grows best in warm areas below 500 ft (152 m) elevation. Fruit production and quality decline at higher elevations, where cooler temperatures cause flower drop and cat-faced (carpelloidic) fruits. (Carpelloidy is the abnormal development of stamens into fleshy structures.)
    Papaya can tolerate moderate winds if well rooted. Forty to 60 in (102 to 152 cm) of rainfall evenly distributed throughout the year is adequate for growth. With higher rainfall, soils should be porous and well drained. Planting on slopes or on raised hills helps to prevent waterlogging

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Lots of papayas growing in NWT.

gya321 is offline Member
    Thats the best pizza, send me a slice?

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Ohhhh big...send me some too....and some guavas and dunks and
    Dunks will be in season a few weeks from now. The trees have on green fruit. I can't wait!

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    Dunks will be in season a few weeks from now. The trees have on green fruit. I can't wait!
    they're yellowing down here all like now Kev... my lil sis brought some back from the trees on the pasture.. sugar cane looks pretty good too.. gonna havetuh go get a few stalks

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Nathan..........where DO you come up with these things!!!!! LOL
    Are you really a commando? I mean, for real? I won't tell.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    shlt the only thing that grows in edmonton r apple trees! LOL in van i had a peach tree! thats about it. i would love to have mangos,papayas,guavas etc... grow here! in my place in the philippines my girls mom planted us a lot of fruit trees so hopefully when i go there next they will b ready to eat!!!

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, if i watered my Papaya tree with winnie, then made juice out of the fruit, could i drink winnie technically?

l6873 is offline Associate Member
    Pineapple and chicken is where it's at.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    thats **** is famous! Pianpple on pizza is the bomb
    abstrack@protonmail.com

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm still waitin for it after 45 minutes, im pissed. A large pizza and 14 chicken tenders (the big kind) will make a good meal i think. mmmmmmmm hawiian pizza is the best.
    **** right it is!! I love hawaiian pizza, or any pizza for that matter, but hawaiian is my fav.

Thread Information