boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

how to repair broken laptop screen?

My brother dropped his laptop and the screen cracked. He got the computer for free from a relative who had extra in his business. Can the screen be fixed or does he need a new screen? It's a gateway if that matters. Thanks.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    he'll have to get a new screen... talk to gateway and see how much they cost. Maybe you can buy one on ebay but i doubt it.

Or he could buy another monitor, keyboard and mouse and just run the laptop with it closed.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    Dude, I work in retail and sell computers and most laptop screens are around $600. He might be better off buying a new computer all together.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Hmmmm may also have some hard drive issues after being dropped. A new computer might def be the way to go.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Wow, I was thinking a couple hundred bucks, which would be worth it since he got the computer for free. I guess I'll stop by Best Buy just to see what they say. My brother has no idea with computers. If I was to buy a screen off ebay, is it a simple swap? I'd hate to get rid of a free laptop with 1 months use.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    if you have a Frys Electronics near you go there instead of best buy. More knowledgeable people and better prices/product. But I think what was said above is right. it will probably be cheaper to just buy a new laptop. sorry to hear it

After an ebay search there are a ton of these computers going for really cheap. Some are $20 plus shipping. All with some sort of problems (keyboard, memory), but there are a ton with full functional screens. Is this something that can be swapped?

anyone?

I dont know, call up a computer repair center and ask them. just pull out the yellow pages and look up computer.

^^^ Yeah I did that today and got quoted $600 for the screen, and then found out that they sell the laptop for $800, but I can pick up one dirt cheap on ebay which seems like the way to go as long as the screens can be swapped. Does anyone know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by boondockSAINT
    ^^^ Yeah I did that today and got quoted $600 for the screen, and then found out that they sell the laptop for $800, but I can pick up one dirt cheap on ebay which seems like the way to go as long as the screens can be swapped. Does anyone know anything about this?
    yeah they are trying to sell you stuff you dont need. So it's 600 to replace the screen? even if you bring a new one? thats more than I thought it would be. http://www.screentekinc.com/ this site sells laptop screens, kind of pricey but if they just sell screens then it can be done.

edit: check this one out also http://laptops.home.att.net/faq.htm#...top%20screens:

With our help you can replace the old, cracked laptop screen
    and save a few hundreds! On our site you will find the
    replacement parts, together with detailed instructions
    on how to replace the old LCD with the new one.

Thanks for the links. Definitely better prices then what I was quoted, but their instructions on the install/handling are somewhat confusing. Anyone know if I would be able to fool around with it and pop the screen off and just pop the new one on or is it much more complicated? Sorry for the repetitive questions. Thanks again.
    Last edited by boondockSAINT; 02-01-2005 at 08:08 PM.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    Dude, I work in retail and sell computers and most laptop screens are around $600. He might be better off buying a new computer all together.
    Actually the LCDs are extremely cheap, businesses buy them in for next to nothing, most people in "retail" are told this, or tell other people this ive noticed, alot of uneducated people out there.

Over here in the states I dont know what your definition of cheap is but LCDs arent. Laptop screens definitely are more expensive in general then normal desktop LCDs also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    Over here in the states I dont know what your definition of cheap is but LCDs arent. Laptop screens definitely are more expensive in general then normal desktop LCDs also.

hmm, ok. let me think, how do i explain? You are wrong. They buy laptop screens in for cheap then resale then for a major profit. How about that? To manufacturer and for the price that companys buy them at, they are cheap.

Wrath is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    hmm, ok. let me think, how do i explain? You are wrong. They buy laptop screens in for cheap then resale then for a major profit. How about that? To manufacturer and for the price that companys buy them at, they are cheap.

Don't have to be so condescending...Everything is cheap if you look at it that way. A Mercedes Benz doesn't cost 50 g's to produce to the benz company or even the dealership( forget that msrp bull) , nor does a big screen cost 2-4,000 to actually make.

Boondock...are you in school? Take it to your ITD (info tech dept)...They had so many hardware and software wiz's at mine, that saved my a ss, and will help you more if you slide them loot under the table . Or they can give you a good referal to some where you can get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    not to give you any attitude and what not, but if only companies can buy them cheap, then you are both right, and it does not do boondock any good. If all consumers can buy them for are outrageous inflatied prices, what difference does it make what large companies can buy them for. Unless you know how us consumers can get cheap lcd screens without buying a few hundred of them at a time.

seriously i'd like to know because I want to get an lcd for my comp (a desktop) and get rid of my old crt. SO if you know how we consumers can get around paying outrageous inflation prices let me know. The cheapest I've found is around 400 for a 19", about 475 for 19" tft

Ok i'll add to what i said, ...and if you know the people, the wholesales, the resellers then you can get them for the price that they paid, at trade price (which i do.)

i dont mean to sound condescending im just right and sometimes i dont explain myself properly

And you'll notice that Ammar was quoting the prices of LAPTOP screens, not something you can just go into a shop and buy, he works in retail, and you deffinately cannot buy a laptop screen in retail, so with that in mind its fair to assume he works for some kind of computer retailer -the most common place that ive heard people say inaccurate things concerning prices of repairs.

I just bought an open box 19'' LCD from a best buy for $199. Try looking for something like that Symatech. BTW it was an HP.

Wrath actually brought up a good point, if you are in school check with the Technology department there. They might have some parts or have a way of helping you out cheaper.

see i understand that, but I know for sure that I (not being in the business) and maybe Ammar too, dont know any wholesalers. So if you know a way that we can get around paying inflated prices please share. Otherwise to call us undeducated is wrong. I mean, I get free drug samples all the time, I dont pay for them, but I dont think that people who have to pay to fill prescriptions are uneducated.

im not angry or what not, it just sounded to me like you know a way for the commons (like me) to get around buying expensive monitors. and i want in on it

edit: ok i was writing this when the top few posts came out. Its all cleared up now. no worries

Wrath - thanks for the tip I never thought of that. I'll see what they say.

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Just do a search for gateway laptop parts they are not that much cash for them.
    ammar is rite lcd monitors are costly but that has nothing at all to do with a laptop screen. you can get laptop parts for gateway cheap online. Without knowing the spec of the laptop i cant say if it is worth it or not. A new cheese laptop will run you a grand +.
    A new or used laptop screen that you find yourself onling can range from 200-900 depending on make. Gateway is a common machine and therefore find parts should not be that big of a deal.
    Yes i used to work in a repair shop working on laptops so i know completely what i am talking about. If you cant get it repaired by a local repair shop for a decent rate then i wouldnt bother looking for a screen. Those little basterds can be a pain to get apart without breaking something. If you are crafty then break out the ground strap and antistatic pad and have at it

^^intimidating, but thanks. I'm gonna take it apart to see how it looks. It can't hurt to try (the computer isn't great anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by boondockSAINT
    ^^intimidating, but thanks. I'm gonna take it apart to see how it looks. It can't hurt to try (the computer isn't great anyway).
    just carefull what you go poking at, you dont wanna get zapped, although I don't know if laptops are dangerous like TV's are.

Thread Information