OSTIE is offline Senior Member

Have you ever just picked up and moved?

Me and my 19yr. old brother have been getting more and more serious about just picking up and moving to another state. So far we are thinking of Arizona. I would attend ASU and he would try to get his electrician apprenticeship.

The reason for moving is, we just feel where we live brings us down. Barely any of our close friends attend college. We are in a heavily populated drug area with mild violence. It seems that all our friends are into coke heavily or other drugs. Lotta my friends seem to be goin to jail or getting caught up in gang activity. It just sucks to be trying go down the right path in life, with all this around you.

Right now I dont live on campus, I commute. Even though I could move to the campus area or a different city in my state, I just think to myself that im only 22 and I may never have a chance like this again to move to a whole nother state.

Just wondering who else has just picked up and moved. Has this worked out for you? What would you recommend I do to prepare myself.

So far ive got an app. to fill out to attend ASU. Ive been looking at the employment and rental ads down there. Before I decide to move, Ill plan to have my credit card payed off and atleast $1,000 saved up by each of us. I also plan to fly out to phoenix on good friday for easter weekend with two of my buddies just to check it out and take a mini vacation and to make sure I like the campus/area/etc.

Anything else you guys would recommend?

Thanks,

-ost

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I have done it several times, do it while you can. Its liberating, you get to reinvent yourself sort of, everyone and everything is new and different. DO IT!

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Do it. ****ing do it. You are doing the exact right thing. After graduating high school I saw the exact same thing happening and I feared I'd go down the same path. I picked up and moved 3,000 miles away, and it was the best decision I've ever made. Take your brother and go. Do it. You'll never regret it. The rent in AZ is cheap, and ASU is an amazing school, hands down. Do it. I can't stress how great of an idea this is for you. I love Phoenix, and the job market here is great, so is the weather, and it's a great place to start over. Do it. Please, please hit me up if you need any more info. Do it.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    First of all I like the way you look after your lil bro, even though he ain't so little! That shows what type of person you are right away!! Never lose that quality! And HELL yes doo it man!! Be a great experience for you and him! I plan to do it once I am done school.. While you are young, single, and not in trouble...go for it

Go For It!!!!!!

cjp85 is offline Member
    I would do it if I were you.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I am packing up and moving to Texas next month and i really have no reason to, i have no job waiting on me....

Thanks for the motivations guys.... Im going to try to set a dead-line of mid april to beginning of may. That means quit slackin off and bein more serious in the gym. In cold milwaukee, you can get away with alittle body fat in the winter, lol, but im gonna have to be cut by the time i go down there.

I guess the main thing holding me back though is my parents. Me and my bro live upstairs from them in a duplex. They have really been on our cases lately like they think we are bums and cant function without them. I see where they are coming from, because my brother and I have gotten in alittle legal trouble by hanging out with our stupid friends, but they act like we dont know how to take care of ourselves. To be honest, we have been goin out alittle to much, like coming home at 7am a couple nights a week, but thats a reason to get outta here.

Ive been payin my own bills since I was 16( car insurance, car loan, cell phone, etc ). and ive started paying for ALL my schooling, with alot of loans of course. On top of that, ive been on the deans lists almost half the time ive been in college, which i think is quit an accomplishment considering my engineering major and my school.

I guess man plan with them is to just keep the partying to one night a week and save more.... this way they will gradually see that im doing something constructive and it wont be as big of a surprise when i tell them i have alot saved up and im moving away. BTW, im takin this semester off to save up and get my **** straight.

Thanks for the motivation,

-ost

Be Real is offline Banned
    Clean up your act and go bro. Listen to a song called Break Away by Kelly Clarkson for some motivation bro.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    I did it. I was by myself. I went to FL. Pretty cool. Boring the first month till I made some cool friends, but it was definately a life changing experience.

Id do it again.

Angelis is offline Banned
    I wish I could do that... I so wanna get outta here. Ive been trying to save up to leave but somhow I never have the money in the end... Gotta take a look at making a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    Clean up your act and go bro. Listen to a song called Break Away by Kelly Clarkson for some motivation bro.
    LOL, not a big Kelly Clarkson fan, but I see what ur saying.... I have been on my way to self improving as well....

I havent gone out in the past week and a half(which is good for me as of late AND its a start), I basically told all my friends who arent living an acceptable lifestyle, that I cant kick it no more.....

also been gettin in the gym a couple times a week, getting more and more hardcore as well as waking up at 8am to do 45min of cardio 4-5 days a week, which is the hardest part. It feels so good to be in the swing of things again.... I cant wait to pay off last quarters tuition on my CC, and pay off 2 dumb tickets, save up a grand and im outta here...

RAMBO, you go to ASU??? Do you go to the one in Tempe? I may be PM'ing you, as I want to make sure I do everything right, so I dont have to move back home like a bum, lol.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I did the same thing Billy did. Picked up by myself and moved to Florida. It is very liberating and it is amazing how many women you get when you are in that situation. Plus anything you have ever wanted to really focus on like training or diet is much easier in this situation. I think you should do it while you are young and unattached.

heckler45_2000 is offline Associate Member

hey

If you need a little insurance on having the money. I would recommend enrolling in summer school and taking a few extra dollars out in loans. This could help you out till you get your feet on the ground. See if you can get pell grants and so on. Also you should be lookin for a job before you move. If your parents arent going to help you just make sure you have enough money. When moving there are so many things you have to get. For example the essentials cable $50,+fees getting turned on,electric $75 deposit,phone$30,cell$45,water $10-35,whatever your car loan is , insurance, furinture , bathroom , groceries, $300 deposit for apt. plus first months $300. Im just sayin if it wasnt for my parents some times i think i would of been sitting in the dark in my apt half the time. I think you have grown alot more by having to pay for your stuff. If you can borrow the money with school loans do that . I know many people that take about 2,000 out more a semester low intrest 3%-6% . Compared to you putting 2,000 at %20 . Plus you do not have to pay on it tell you graduate. i think you should move if thats how you feel. Start over find some cool friends and some girls and grow old by the beach.

See heres what sucks on grants and free gov't money..... I fill out fasfa every year.... since my parents are still married and they only have two kids.... I only get 300$ a year in grants.... and to take out a loan in JUST MY NAME, i have to of had a job for atleast 2 years from what ive researched.... Im not POSITIVE on the loan situation, BUT i know for sure I wont get any more grant money....

Ive done more research on grants then I do homework.... My parents never went to college and are in the low-middle class.... We live in the milwaukee area where houses dont go over 140 grand.... hell, most I see in the papers in the area are around 90-120 g's.... YET since they are married and sh!t, I am outta luck on gettin money.... This sucks since my parents believe in their kids payin for college themselves since there parents kicked both them out before the even graduated HS.

Any ideas on what I can do, to lower college costs of me moving to AZ and attending ASU myself?

Remember, alot of people say take out private loans to help pay for school, rent, etc, but this only works with a cosigner, which I wont have since my parents arent up for this idea.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    I only read the first two paragraphs.. but that was enough.. Get the fawk out my friend.

People like that only bring you down. You and your brother are very wise. Do what's right for you. Other will try to talk you out of it im sure.. they will feed you the negative of it... but you know the positive. get out

BTW im drunk and posting like crazy... lol.

Thread Information