crazle43764 is offline Associate Member

? about speakers

My question is if I buy 8 ohm speakers for a 6 ohm receiver will it make a difference in the overall sound? I am asking this because I cant find any 6 ohm speakers to match my receiver. Any input would help. I tried researching this on yahoo but only could find examples of 4-8 ohm systems

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    what the hell reciever is 6ohm?

8ohm wont sound as loud

4ohm may overload it

GORILA-UNIT is offline Member
    bro i think u trying to use normal speakers with a minisystem of some sort. It'll blow the spreakers if thats the case

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    I have a kenwood receiver which is 8 ohm and the 6 ohm one is RCA, I dont know why that stupid thing is 6 ohms I have only seen one other receiver with that impedance. Its not a mini system either its a 120 watt per channel receiver.

mfenske is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazle43764
    My question is if I buy 8 ohm speakers for a 6 ohm receiver will it make a difference in the overall sound? I am asking this because I cant find any 6 ohm speakers to match my receiver. Any input would help. I tried researching this on yahoo but only could find examples of 4-8 ohm systems
    No worries, man. You can always hook up a higher impedence (ohm) speaker to a system without damaging it. It's lower than what it's rated for that makes you run in to danger. Mark

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    i was thinking you meant car audio

either way still wierd

ya put the 8 ohms on

or do a fancy configuration with 4ohms to get six, you prob dont want to though

2 4ohms in parallel in series with 2 4ohms in parallel in series with 2 4ohms in parallel

thats 6ohm...too bad it is 6 speakers worth

an 8ohm and 4ohm in paralell is 6 ohm, but i wouldnt pair them up like that

mfenske is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    i was thinking you meant car audio

either way still wierd

ya put the 8 ohms on

or do a fancy configuration with 4ohms to get six, you prob dont want to though

2 4ohms in parallel in series with 2 4ohms in parallel in series with 2 4ohms in parallel

thats 6ohm...too bad it is 6 speakers worth

an 8ohm and 4ohm in paralell is 6 ohm, but i wouldnt pair them up like that
    Believe it or not 6 ohm speakers are more common than you'd think. It makes sense as most amps that are rated for 8 ohms should handle 6 (4 might be too difficult) and if you can provide enough current they'll push more power in to a lower impedence. Also, 6 ohm and dual 6 ohm drivers are quite common in car audio apps (everyone remember the JL AUDIO W6 Series ?). Some of the more unique subs I've seen have had 4 voice coils. Those are interesting. Mark

Thread Information