chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member

Everyone who had been sidelined by an injury

I know alot of you guys get injured, but how many have been injured or had surgery to where you couldnt lift for like a couple months or longer? How bad did you shrink up? and how long before you got back to where you were?

I am just curious because I am sitting on my ass with an injury, I have about 6 more weeks before I can lift again. It sucks d!ck

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I think alot depends on your genetics (mine suck) and the amount of time in the gym pre-injury. As well as weight train I kickbox and do Judo too, so I'm prone to injury and the older I get (I'm 39 next month) the more frequent they become. I've been lifting (I presume thats what you want to know) since I was a teenager and this last year I can almost count on one hand the number of weeks I've consistantly lifted in the gym. But I maintain 260lbs and strong as an ox, mostly down to the Judo and kickboxing, plus to a large part mature muscle mass. Mature muscle mass is the dense muscle fiber that no amount of steroids can give the novice lifter. Its built through years of hardcore lifting, proper diets and dedication to training. When this is your foundation you'll find injuries ain't so bad after all.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    **** Bouncer.....it's bro such as yourself that I'd hesitate to tangle with. I feel kinda of girlish now......compaired to you. I have to tell you up front just in case.........I will without hesitation hit you with a tire iron, give the chance of course, in a fight.....just felt like I should warn you....I'll feel bad if it happens....but rather that than die, if you know what I mean. Oh! And I'll be really sorry....very sorry......like I said if that happens.

As a more mature member of this fine board, like that of my freind Bouncer here, I've suffered a good amount of injuries.....most recent was a neck operation...was out of the game for three months. The first month sitting in a chair 24x7, fullbody brace (that is the closest to pure torture....I hated ever second). Of all that time off the weakest, over all body parts, the muscule effected by the injury was of course weaker but the rest seemed not to far off. I watched my diet close as I could but it could have been a lot better. It took about 2 months to get back to what I felt was close to where I left off. Size wise I felt the same.....I didn't think I lost much in muscle.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Couple injuries.. Lower back.. had to take 2 months off of dead lifts and squats...The most recent and current is both tendons in both elbows.. This is my first full week since the end of october where I have been able to train upper body! Sounds harsh but its not.. I have pounded the snot out of my legs and cut up a bit.. When when door closes just bust another one open bro! Whats your injury?

Distal clavical resection, my collar bone was hitting the AC joint so they went in and removed 1/2 inch off the end of the collar bone. Cut me open about 3 inches long on top of the shoulder, it sucks!

I have had 3 back surgeries and 4 knee surgeries. My last back surgery I was in a brace for quite some time. I used the time to get really lean so I could rehab the back more effectively. I have worked out consistently since then and am now training very hard. I am at 220 from 180 on my way back to around 250. By going lean and now rebuilding I feel like I am 20 years younger. And unlike the other old guys on this thread I probably look younger too..........J/K guys......

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    I partially tore my pec tendon, and some of the pec muscle, around 14 months ago. I was told I needed surgery and not to lift for 6 months, but I didn't listen. I took 2 weeks off and then went back in the gym and just did whatever partial range movements I could. I gradually got more and more range of motion back. It wasn't until around 4-5 months later that I had healed, broken up most of the scar tissue, and was able to bench full range again.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck89gt5.0
    I know alot of you guys get injured, but how many have been injured or had surgery to where you couldnt lift for like a couple months or longer? How bad did you shrink up? and how long before you got back to where you were?

I am just curious because I am sitting on my ass with an injury, I have about 6 more weeks before I can lift again. It sucks d!ck

I injured myself 2 years ago. in a cast for 3 months, then surgery, then in a cast for 6 months, then rehab, able to lift for 3 months, another surgery, out for 2 months, and about to start again. Those numbers arent exacts but close with some time in between where i was half lifting every once in a while but not motivated, etc... It does suck. I lost a lot. I was at like 210lbs and like 9%bf. db bench was 120's, db curls was like 70's, bar mp 220. after my injury, my diet went to crap. of course i didnt do any exercise. I went to like 185lbs-190lbs and like 19%bf. My first day in the gym i was db benchin 50's...haha! curlin 30's...rofl! sucked bad. Before my last surgery, after like 3 months of serious gym time, my db bench hit 90's, curls hit 45. and im mp like half what i was at. weight is now at like 200lbs and 16%bf. i had my last surgery a little over a month ago i guess. I have a wrist brace and im gonig to try and see what happens today for the first time in the gym. (my last surgery was pretty minor, but still surgery for the same injury) I may, probably, will have to hold off another week but stitches are out and such now so i can at least do cardio. Good luck with your return. Only advice I would give you is diet. Its hard cuz i know your probably pretty blah and what cures that...food. but i would be much happier if i held my diet so i wouldnt have to work extra hard, not just getting bigger and str up, but losing bf.

****n what the hell happened to you that you needed that many surgeries? Those stats you mentioned are almost EXACTLY what I was lifting before the surgery. Hopefully I wont lose as much strength as you because thats alot to lose! Very good advice on the dieting, that is exactly what I have been doing, and lots of cardio.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    See my avatar.. That was the jump that did me in. It wasnt so much the jump but the landing. About 5-7ft from the normal landing zone was another ski lift that wasnt running...well the lift was still there and we pretty much had to stop on a dime or hit the thing. Not smart, but fun up until the last jump. Where i crushed my scaphoid bone in my wrist.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    See my avatar.. That was the jump that did me in. It wasnt so much the jump but the landing. About 5-7ft from the normal landing zone was another ski lift that wasnt running...well the lift was still there and we pretty much had to stop on a dime or hit the thing. Not smart, but fun up until the last jump. Where i crushed my scaphoid bone in my wrist.
    Always fun until ya get hurt eh

Thread Information