boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

can't CONNECT to download music

What's up guys. I recently tried dowloading music with Ares and that worked for like a day before I could no longer connect. I then downloaded EDonkey and that worked extremely slow for a day and now that no longer connects. I run windows xp with the firewall, but I have the option of letting there programs through the firewall and they still don't work. I also use avast! antivirus if that matters. Can anyone help out? Thanks.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Turn the firewall and the antivirus off one by one and see if that does it....Sounds like a firewall issue...

OG

Tried it, and it will connect but not dl music or do so extremely slowly (like 1 song an hour). My computer is pretty quick and I used to dl songs in about a minute last year. Anything else?

Do you have a spyware remover..? Spyware could be slowing your pc down. Other then that the download or upload has more to do with the connection speed rather then how fast your pc is....Did you switch to dsl lite..? Some dsl companies offer it. Its cheaper, but also slower..

OG

I have no spyware / popups whatsoever. I recently rebooted my computer about 3 months ago and installed the antivirus from day one and was very meticulous about what programs I used. My connection is still very strong, and in the downloading process it only takes like a minute, but I always lose the connection and the speed stays at 0.

Well, there go all my suggestions... Sorry i couldnt help

OG

lol, thanks man.

Anybody else know anything on the topic?

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    If you have a cable modem and download a LOT of stuff, they feel that you are hogging the line (since unlike with a DSL, you actually share the bandwith with your neighborhood) so they put a limiter on you. They turned my bandwith down to dial up speeds because I was grabbing movies and songs like crazy. They don't forget to keep charging you full speed prices though (thank you optimum online!).

If you have cable modem check this thread out. It's got links to a speedometer for your connection and some other useful things.

If those links show that your connection is slow, you call them up and they'll give you a stern talking to and kick you back up again. 3x and you're out though. I did read on a message board dedicatd to stuff like this that the company that does the west coast stuff doesn't even give you the 3 strikes. They just turn your sh!t right off if you DL too much stuff. Mind you nobody will TELL you what is too much stuff so it's not like you can cap yourself. A$$holes.

Thread Information