the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

chiro or osteo for bad back (disc) problems??

i have been seeing a chiro for years and eventually has always put me right, i have hurt a disc again in my back, but recent visits to an osteo path make me wonder if the soft tissue manipulation might be better, after all the spinal twists from the chiro may be doing more long term damage?? anyone any experience or ideas???

thanks

seanw is offline Banned
    Jason, the Chiro's fuked me up big time. I went to one for seven years and it never really fixed the problem with my back. I have been going to a Physio for quite a while now and they are great. I just screwed up my back recently and I was off working out for two weeks, just started back yesterday thanks to them. I am just about to start a new technique called Rolfing, it may suit you as well. Have a read of this http://www.rolf.org/about/index.html

thats whats been worrying me bro, i have been going to chiro for many years and didnt really read up some of the horror stories you find on net, since going to an osteo path i wonder if his methods maybe easier on the body with more subtle manipulation rather than twisting the whole spine and pelvis each time i get some problem...thing is also, i was having like monthly movements with the chiro and i didnt get any problems, now i decided to stop, got to 2 months and im crippled again just went back to gym also after long lay off, to say im p1ssed off is an understatement!!

peace

seanw is offline Banned
    I think there is no doubt that spinal manipulation on its own is a mistake. There should be a whole lot of warming up happeining first which is what the Oste's do. The Physio's dont manipulate at all they just massage and push the bones which works way better IMO. I would definitly give to Chiro the flick and go with a Physio or, if you are happy with what they do, an Ostio. I am goping to give this Rolfing thing a try. I saw it on the Discovery Health Channel and it is just what I am looking for I think, apparently it hurts like all fuk but the end result is worth the pain.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    J,

I would avoid the chiro. Osteopaths are licensed doctors with the same privilidges as MD's, but with additional knowledge of muscle manipulation. They have a much better understanding of physiology, and are on the whole, much more qualified to be screwing with your body. Best of luck.

Shutup, Juggy.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I've gone to a Chiro now and then but after each session I wondered the same thing.......my back sucks big time. I've a few friends that have gone the Osteopath direction and they swear by it. I'v been thinking of giving that a try myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Shutup, Juggy.
    hahaha PUNK! That's it, next time we go to dinner...no holding hands!

Hey tell your Sis I got the thank you note......tell her it was my pleasure to help bro. (to the others reading this isn't a dig at Rambo..he's my bro)

ok i think you guys are right, a 300lb guy banging down on my pelvis cant do much good i reckon ill try osteo path route

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Jason
    ok i think you guys are right, a 300lb guy banging down on my pelvis cant do much good i reckon ill try osteo path route

thanks
    Well do us all a big favor and tell us what you think of it after you've had some time to see how it works for you. I bug my friends about what exercises they have to do and try them myself to see if it works....some are pretty ****ed good.

hopefully it wont take 20 trips at 60$ a trip this time, as i really cant afford it, but what can you do when your in pain and want to train!! not much...

i have been seeing this osteo for a while regarding damaged ligaments in my shoulder and wrist, so far so good with those, will get him to check them out too when i go

peace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    hahaha PUNK! That's it, next time we go to dinner...no holding hands!

Hey tell your Sis I got the thank you note......tell her it was my pleasure to help bro. (to the others reading this isn't a dig at Rambo..he's my bro)
    It really helped, thanks again bro.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    It really helped, thanks again bro.
    anything for you bro.....within reason of course.

Jason....I hear you bro, our lifestyle isn't for the short of pocket is it? But you're right, you have to do what you need to, to do the things you enjoy.......and money you spend on your health is always a good investment.

update

been for first osteo appointment, i must admit i feel a bit bruised but i do feel freer and more mobile, during the night the pain got so bad in every position i almost called for an ambulance, and told them to kick my door in, but this morning it had got a little easier, i got another appointment on friday and it is a herniated disc again what i have.

they did some massage, gentle manipulation with oil after some flexability tests, then some more not so subtle manipulation, the type that makes u lose your breath and scream, then about 10 mins or so on the electric pulse machine, now got ice on it

peace

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Jason
    update

been for first osteo appointment, i must admit i feel a bit bruised but i do feel freer and more mobile, during the night the pain got so bad in every position i almost called for an ambulance, and told them to kick my door in, but this morning it had got a little easier, i got another appointment on friday and it is a herniated disc again what i have.

they did some massage, gentle manipulation with oil after some flexability tests, then some more not so subtle manipulation, the type that makes u lose your breath and scream, then about 10 mins or so on the electric pulse machine, now got ice on it

peace
    Sounds about right Jason. All the guys I've talked with say the session the night following it is uncomfortable but they feel 100% later. Hope this helps you get some relief bro. Keep the updates coming.....it'll be intersting to see how you feel in a month or so.

Thread Information