Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member

Interviewing Blows... tell me your least favorite interview ?'s

I have done about 8 phone interviews and 5-6 face to face interviews over the last 2 months. I hate that crap.
    "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an Irate customer?"
    "What are you the most Proud of in terms of accomplishments?"
    "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
    "Why should I hire you?"
    "What's the most creative or inovative project you have developed or worked on in you career?"

Are you guys fimiliar with the STAR technique to interviewing?
    Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

I have been out of the game for about 7 years, I forgot how misrable this crap is!

Tell me some you hate.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    What I always do is turn things around and go in with a set of questions that i read off of and ask them, I interview THEM. I'm in sales and I 've been lied to and promised too many things over the years. Do they deserve me? That is the question. I ask questions that get them wanting to sell ME the job. If you don't give a **** and go in calmly, not cocky it does work.

BTW I have asked in return when some jackass says why should I hire you? I say I'll answer that one in a second first tell me why do you think I would want to work for your company. Then stfu, the guy will be srambling to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    What I always do is turn things around and go in with a set of questions that i read off of and ask them, I interview THEM. I'm in sales and I 've been lied to and promised too many things over the years. Do they deserve me? That is the question. I ask questions that get them wanting to sell ME the job. If you don't give a **** and go in calmly, not cocky it does work.
    I'm in sales too bro, The interviews I have been on lately have been very structured. Most have 3-5 specific questions that must be answered with a specific example and a result from that example. Things have changed since I was first out job seeking. I tend to answer the questions they ask, then at the end they give me an opportunity to ask questions, that is when I ask them to sell me on the position.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I interview people a lot.

My favorite question:

Your on a merry go round right now.....what song is playing and why?

D

Well I won't answered canned questions, people that read from cue cards are morons. Not the type of people that i would be impressed with , if I ain't impressed I cannot be your underling, my mind won't allow it. Take control over the interview bro, it can be done very subtly, almost without them knowing it. Do the "that's an excellent question but first i'd like to ask you............ or tell you.......... Man I was in personal line insurance for 6 years I'm telling you you can do it.

sorry Diesel but do you ask that?

Well I won't answered canned questions, people that read from cue cards are morons. Not the type of people that i would be impressed with , if I ain't impressed I cannot be your underling, my mind won't allow it. Take control over the interview bro, it can be done very subtly, almost without them knowing it. Do the "that's an excellent question but first i'd like to ask you............ or tell you.......... Man I was in personal line insurance for 6 years I'm telling you you can do it.
    I would love to do that, but in the buz I am in you have to play the game. I think it have become a legality. The manager's I know say they have to follow specific guidelines when interviewing. It all has to be the same. This is because some people have sued in the past for discrimination. That is why they now interview on a que card. So that is is fair.... that is gay if you ask me, but that is another example of how the tort system has screwed our country.

sorry Diesel but do you ask that?
    Yes I do.

It's not a question that you can get wrong unless you don't answer it.

To work for me you have to be able to think on your feet. Murphy's law truly applies to my business.

This question is one they are not expecting, throws them off. All you need to do is start to answer it in less than 8 seconds. This shows me you are either unflapable or completely full of sh!t.

Either way, I'll take a shot and hire you. ( I only ask this question if I am seriously considering you for the position.)

D

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Yes I do.

It's not a question that you can get wrong unless you don't answer it.

To work for me you have to be able to think on your feet. Murphy's law truly applies to my business.

This question is one they are not expecting, throws them off. All you need to do is start to answer it in less than 8 seconds. This shows me you are either unflapable or completely full of sh!t.

Either way, I'll take a shot and hire you. ( I only ask this question if I am seriously considering you for the position.)

D
    What's the best answer you have ever heard to that ?..

Well I have to tell you I would not get the job, I can think on my feet as good as the next guy but my answer would be a question. What is the purpose of this question? If you answered I would answer but I am not somone who will be a lemming and just go along, it is against my nature. I can tell you that I did four interviews for a job with a group of 6 electrical & structural engineers and took a battery of psych tests.

The reason I got the job was because the engineers couldn't figure me out, I think they were intrigued. No one came in and took control of the interview process. They potential employees were all barking or parroting answers like Miss America contestants. As someone who interviews I'm sure you agree you remember the ones who set themselves apart. I can see the interview procees being so rigid, if it is there is no reason for an in person interview to begin with, have them fill out a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg50
    What's the best answer you have ever heard to that ?..
    I have heard some funny one's. Best would have to be the guy who answered instantly without a flinch. Bang your Head by Quiet Riot.

I'm thinking...that came out of left feild because most people aswer with the last song they heard on the radio.

I asked why. He says, I have been looking for a job for months and I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.

When can you start?

D

Well I have to tell you I would not get the job, I can think on my feet as good as the next guy but my answer would be a question. What is the purpose of this question? If you answered I would answer but I am not somone who will be a lemming and just go along, it is against my nature. I can tell you that I did four interviews for a job with a group of 6 electrical & structural engineers and took a battery of psych tests.

The reason I got the job was because the engineers couldn't figure me out, I think they were intrigued. No one came in and took control of the interview process. They potential employees were all barking or parroting answers like Miss America contestants. As someone who interviews I'm sure you agree you remember the ones who set themselves apart. I can see the interview procees being so rigid, if it is there is no reason for an in person interview to begin with, have them fill out a test.
    I can see you feeling this way based on hearing the single question.

Honestly, someone who answers a question with a question screams 'avoiding the question'.

My interviews are very laid back and unscripted. I subtly look for people who will voice opinions, look to help improve the company, etc, etc...

I own the company but that does not mean I have all the right answers. I need people around me that are not afraid to speak up and make suggestions.

D

I can see your thinking, if in fact your comany is one that encourages and actually listens to employees opinions it would come off in the interview and the question would seem appropriate.

I can see your thinking, if in fact your comany is one that encourages and actually listens to employees opinions it would come off in the interview and the question would seem appropriate.
    I've worked for the a$$hole know it all........Never want to be that guy.

I have a very high paced yet relaxed office atmoshpere. Work can be fun as long as the job gets done and it gets done right. Would any of you want the people that control your lively hood walking in in the morning thinking "God I hate this fuking place!".

D

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Have you been asked the question, "if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" I use to do a lot of hiring, I will tell you the trick to a great interview is to get the interviewer talking. If all they are doing is asking you questions, you're toast. It is much more memorable when interviewer is more active during the interview.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Rox
    Have you been asked the question, "if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" I use to do a lot of hiring, I will tell you the trick to a great interview is to get the interviewer talking. If all they are doing is asking you questions, you're toast. It is much more memorable when interviewer is more active during the interview.
    An Iron wood tree.

Walk in and see if you can picture the guy doing the interview as your best friend. Then pull out your knife and ask if he has a family. hahahahaha

I've worked for the a$$hole know it all........Never want to be that guy.

I have a very high paced yet relaxed office atmoshpere. Work can be fun as long as the job gets done and it gets done right. Would any of you want the people that control your lively hood walking in in the morning thinking "God I hate this fuking place!".

D
    I think you've a good plan there. A cool work enviroment is a big bonus.....I can handle any suck ass job as long as I like the people.

I interview people a lot.

My favorite question:

Your on a merry go round right now.....what song is playing and why?

D
    Puff the Magic Dragon..........cause I better be high if I'm sitting ona ****ing marry the god ****ed go round. hahahahahahaha

Whould I get the job? Don't count spelling....you'll get me a secuta.....secutarary.....sicata......a woman with big breasts! I can't spell that word!

I'd keeep you around to be the office jester.

I'd keeep you around to be the office jester.
    And I'm willing to wear that hat for 80k!....and four weeks vacation.

My opening offer a little too high I take it....alright I'll come down a little......78k, three weeks vacation but you have to let me have the XJ and kid once a week when I go grocery shopping. The chick magnet thing you know.

Be Real is offline Banned
    I've interviewed with the companyt I currently work for 3 times before I got the job. 1st time in college was like a bad american idol interview. I was so scared, never interviewed before. THe guys interviwing me looked mean as hell I didnt know what to expect. They were 2 of them all hair slicked back. 1st question was so tell me about your self. That totally threw me for a curve ball I started shaking and stuttering and shaking so freaking bad. I went cold all over and started saying stupid stuff like hi my name is blah blah blah, i'm 20 years old, i live in blahblahblah, i like to workout and read books, then i stopped for a second and said F**CK, I screwd it up didnt I and I got quiet. They were like no keep going. I said NO man I F**Ked it up didnt I. They were like no go ahead. So I said no man i toally messe dit up i'm going to leave. And they tried to get me to stay but I felt like throwing up I was so nervous and scared I just walked out and ran off. When I finally got the job my boss ended up being the guy that interview3ed me the first time. I dont know if he recognzied me or was trying to be polite but when h esees me 3 years later after being hired by someone else he says to me you look familiar have we met? I got **** scared and was like no sorry, and he never asked again.

Diesel, that's good stuff. I interview many people every week. Best advice is for the interviewee to find something quickly in the office of the person interviewing and start a conversation about the object. For instance in my office is a picture of my boat, ask me to talk about the dam boat and 40 minutes later I feel like your on my team already. It is a great way to take the pressure off of everyone. I'm in sales too, I ask the people I am interested in to sell me a pen I throw to them. I like seeing how people react and think when they are unprepared. This sets apart the potential stars from the "clock watchers". And always ask the interviewer about themselves. It gets them talking, you might find common ground, and if they are talking about themselves they are saying things they wanna hear.......

Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Diesel, that's good stuff. I interview many people every week. Best advice is for the interviewee to find something quickly in the office of the person interviewing and start a conversation about the object. For instance in my office is a picture of my boat, ask me to talk about the dam boat and 40 minutes later I feel like your on my team already. It is a great way to take the pressure off of everyone. I'm in sales too, I ask the people I am interested in to sell me a pen I throw to them. I like seeing how people react and think when they are unprepared. This sets apart the potential stars from the "clock watchers". And always ask the interviewer about themselves. It gets them talking, you might find common ground, and if they are talking about themselves they are saying things they wanna hear.......
    Excellent advice Mondo!

I f'ing hate the sell me the pen crap.. please stop doing that

NO!
    It sucks bit it does give great insight into someones thinking.....There is one correct way to do it tho. I have yet to have someone give me the "best" answer........
    Most of my sales people make 6 fig and up after their first year so we are doing something right!!!!

Your going to buy this pen or it is going to end up jammed in your ****ing eye!

Seriously though, what is the "best" answer?

Remember this is just my opinion. I don't want to give you the answer directly, so let's just say it has to do with "qualifying" the prospect.......get it yey???

Some people just motor mouth away without finding out the "qualifying" information of my "needs, wants, and desires". In other words to get me talking...........That's the gist anyway. How can you sell me something if you don't know Jack about me and my needs.............

Be Real is offline Banned
    always ask what kind of pen they are looking for, how much writing they plan to do, do they require this pen as a writing tool or as something prestigious. Hey mondo what kind of sales are you in that your reps make 100G a year first year?

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member
    "what makes you think you'll be a good asset to our company?"
    I'm actually pretty good @ interviewing, but I get annoyed when they ask me my weaknesses..cuz you don't wanna say you don't have any. But I always find that a difficult question too...

Thread Information