bex
    bex is offline Banned

Are You The Dad?????????

There was a survey do in the uk yesterday on is your child yours so they tested random men for dna against there kids and it turn out that 30% of men are not the the farther.So given that statistic do you now you are the farther.

Jenna is offline Female Member
    I'm not the father for sure!

<<<< JENNA >>>>

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Does that mean that the old saying - Its only cheating if you get caught - is wrong? Get this - Of married people - 30% of women admit cheating at least once on their mate and about 70% of men admit that they have cheated on their spouce at least once. There is actually a biological reason for this.

In our species women choose who they mate with. That means that in order for a man to spread his genes, he has to make himself a good suitor. For humans, men need two things.

First, they have to be masculine. They have to show her that his genetics are good ones. An example of this is in the wild are Peacocks. The males have huge trains (the long tail feathers). These feathers are a bad thing. They make travel and overall life more difficult and challanging. With larger trains, males have to be strong to survive. So the males with huge ones have better genes than the males with small ones. And infact they do. Males that have huge trains have significantly more surviving offspring that make it to adulthood. The same goes for humans. Males who are athletic show females that they have good genes. That is why the star football player gets a different girl every weekend, while the school chessmaster watches Playmate video calender.

The second thing is dependability. In humans, rasing young takes a lot of effort. Women want to seek men who will be there long term. An example of this in nature occurs in some song birds. Females choose dependable males. However, some females cheat in an attempt to sneek in offspring from males with better genes into her nest and to have the more dependable male help to take care of the young. In humans, women do the same thing. They often find a man that is dependable and has good genes. If he doesn't have good genes, or if she craves variability, she will attempt to cheat with a male who has better genes, and have the dependable male help to raise the offspring.

Man I love Evolutionary Psychology
    Last edited by VEGETA990; 03-22-2002 at 09:05 PM.

Mrs. T is offline Female Member
    Your understanding of the animal kingdom is awesome. However, in my 47 years, I have seen nothing to substantiate your comparison to the way human females chose their mates.
    Mrs. T
    "We can change the world when we change ourselves. And the energy of our consciousness, like the energy of all light, continues into the eternity. When there is light in the soul there will be beauty in the person. When there is beauty in the person there will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home there will order in the nation. When there is order in the nation there will be peace in the world."
    - Chinese Proverb

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Well unless you don't trust your g,f or wife and you do a DNA test you,ll never know.Unless they have facial features that look like yours

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    In the name I science I must say something. lol.

So correct me if I'm wrong but BigGunz and Mrs. T are saying that we are not so much animals and our environment plays a role in who we choose as a mate.

Well, I'll agree with the second part. If I am a Jew and both of my parents practice strict Judasm (pardon my spelling) of course the changes of me marrying a Catholic girl are very low. Societal pressures diffinately play a role, but that role is completely cultural. If I adopt a Catholic baby girl and raise her to practice Judasm, she will be more likely to select a mate within her "adopted" religion.

But that is boring, so lets get into the good stuff: Women and makeup. Well ladies and gentleman, women wear makeup to fool the opposite sex. She puts on red lipstick and blush to make her look more fertle. Why do you think acne has such a bad rap. Because it is a sign of infertility. Women also wear makeup to appear to be more feminine. The more estrogen, the more of a feminine she looks and the more fertle she appears. Now granted, women wear makeup and never say to themselves, I want to appear more fertle, which is why I think its so great, because its unconscious.

And that is the key. You are unconscious to the world around you. You think you know yourself and you think you can control your life at all times, but you can't. You have to operate within the confounds of your biological needs, the very needs that many people never even realize exist.

Why do we seek love? Because it feels good. When we are in love, science can argue, WE ARE ADDICTED, just like a drug. When we loose love, the brain chemestry changes and life sucks. Just like withdrawal from a drug.

Now how can science possibly know who is going to pair up with who. Its simple. Your genetic opposite. You will not be attracted to people who have similar genes to you (of course there are exceptions, but this is a general rule).

So how is it done. Well, in one small study it was done with pictures, scents, and 1st dates. Bottom line. A bunch of single males and a bunch of single females pick out which male/female is the most attractive. Then they smell the clothes (that were full of sweat) of all of the people of the opposite gender and say which one smelled the best (I will go on the record and say that I participated in a study like this recently (smelling women's body odor only) and some of the shirts smelled pretty good, while others did not note: that there was no perfume, only natural scents). Then everyone had a date with the person of the opposite gender and then they were interviewed about the date. Scientists took those three variables and gave an educated guess as to who would pair up with whom. And they had relative success.

Bottom line. Science can tell you who you will be attracted to the most out of a group of people.

Now Mrs. T said "... in my 47 years, I have seen nothing to substantiate your comparison to the way human females chose their mates."

Well here is my question for you - did you ever share a living space with several other females? Here is an interesting little fact. The menstral cycle of women who live on the same floor in college dorms will all change. Their cycles will all shift and become parellel to eachother. After several weeks all of the girls will have their period at about the same time.

Now the question is, why on earth would this happen? Well, here is science's guess. We can all percieve phermones. When women are in heat, their phermones change. Their body gives off a scent that says to males "hey look at me, I'm fertle." While they themselves cannot detect this, their bodies can. Their cycles will all change because of competition. Thats right, because of men. Men will subconsciously be more attracted to a woman in heat, than a woman who is not in heat because, subconsciously, mens brains can pickup these phermones and they will feel the urge to have sex with this female who is in heat (its all about procreation). Additionally, women will subconsciously dress sexier when they are in heat. They will be more flirtatious and feel the need to go out more.

Why do I have such an interest in this. Because the year is 2002. Our common ancestor with the monkey goes back only 4 million years (the appearence of crocodiles goes back over 100 million years). In these four million years we evolved a lot, but still we operate within the confounds of Natural Selection.

Why does sex feel so damn good. Think about it. If sex was painful would you do it? Of course not. Our ancestors that did not find sex enjoyable, all died out. Why are people tall and skinny in Africa? Because its hot!! Longer limbs help the body more efficently lower the body temperature. Why are Eskimos short and stout? Because shorter limbs and stouter bodies are more ideal for the conservation of body heat. The short and stout people in Africa died out a long time ago, as did the tall, skinny people in Alaska.

Natural Selection shapes who we are as a species. Who would think that the Origin of Species would still be able to be applied to and explain the evolution of man? Damn, Darwin and Wallace who both two intelligent fellows.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I don't have any kids..but now because of that statistic..if some other guy thinks he is the father and is not really the father..I just may be in some trouble...

I am outta here...You guys never saw me okay...

Mike is offline Retired SuperMod
    Originally posted by Shredz
    I don't have any kids..but now because of that statistic..if some other guy thinks he is the father and is not really the father..I just may be in some trouble...

I am outta here...You guys never saw me okay...

LOL that was funny

Guys -

While you may not agree with his entire explanation (and that's perfectly ok) one thing I did want to make comment of - you CAN compare human mating to "animal rituals"

It really bugs me that humans are getting more and more pompous to think that we are somehow NOT part of the animal kingdom, that to be human is a divine step above other mammals. Humans have tendencies, patterns and behavorial characteristics that, while in different terms, still closely parallel hundreds and hundreds of other species. We are not THAT different.

We just have an intelligence that has somewhat domesticated us as a species. Unfortunately this is hindering our reproductive processes. Our intelligence has spawned global powers, everyday psychological influences like forms of media, we have adopted what we call "civilized" forms of government because we thought we were 'above' primal forms of order (the forms that the rest of the animal kingdom still use.) These civilized forms of government are religion, laws, etc etc. It is many of these catalysts that have played a part in our decision making process and has interupted what we as a species may have done reproductively without these outside influences. There is a real difference between how we reproduce and mate now, and how we would if we relied ONLY on primal and instinctual methods, of which we have numbed.

oops soapbox...I'm outta here...sorry

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Thumbs up

Great posts both Mike and Vegeta, you guys astound me with your great posts. Mike I wish you could post more often; Vegeta you keep it up !

yeah I know - I am trying to devote more time here again, been rather busy but I am starting to post more often. Thanks bro.

gymnut4u is offline Member
    When I was 20 A chick in my colage and i hooked up at a party ,well didnt see the chick for 3 months ,when I did she said she was and it was mine ,so I got a court ordered blood test ,and yes she is mine and the best thing that has ever happened to me ,but I sugest you get a test if it is a one nighter !!!!!!!!

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree with Mikes comments,we are more like animals than we imagine a species will look for the dominant male/female and mate with that animal we do exactly the same we find the right girl/guy who is physicall attractive to us who looks strong and healthy all animals do the same.Society has preached to us for thousands of years on what we should and should'nt do.The only difference between us and animals is that we have developed an effective language and learnt how to communicate and that has developed us into a more intelligant animal not superior.

here here billy boy

Thread Information