ya_man is offline Member

Thumbs down in pain....need help

hey guys,
    i was at the gym this morning and was workin shoulders/traps. Started off with DB press, went 60 to warm up, 70's fine...80's fine...then as i was putting them down, like dropping them, the left DB bounced back off the floor a couple inches and hit my left thumb. It bent it real awkwardly. I thought nothing of it and grabbed the 90's....got the first rep up, then a sharp pain went through my thumb down to about my wrist. anyone have any ideas what i might of done to my thumb/hand? it hurts like hell right now and is really stiff. Couldnt finish my workout which sucked ass. Also, any ideas to increase recovery time? Thanks guys!

Explosive215 is offline Associate Member
    ice it, then heat it, then ice it....etc.... You strained the tendon/ligaments in ur hand by ur thumb. I tore a ligament in my middle finger and now the tip of it droops down because there is nothing pulling my finger straight

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I pinched my right index finger between the rack and the DB, the nail died, grew back, i split the skin down the middle under the nail and down to under my finger. I took like 4 days off, and then just rapped medical tape around it lol

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    Everyone's had a mishap in the gym too. I tore the nail of my left index finger, getting it caught between the rack and in my case the barbell. Ice and a lot of anti-inflamitories. My left index if flatter than the right. Man it looks funny.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I did the same thing, had surgery to reatach the tendon, ended up with a button sewn onto the tip of my finger for 4 months with my whole hand in a cast. Works fine now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive215
    I tore a ligament in my middle finger and now the tip of it droops down because there is nothing pulling my finger straight

ya_man is offline Member
    hey guys, thanks for the info,
    i went to emerg yesterday and had x rays taken, turns out it is a major sprain and that a thumb takes longer to heel then any other finger. I was like "alright" when the doc told me. Really didnt understand why. Anyways, she said i might be out of the gym for up to 3 weeks. This sucks major ass! Things were goin real good. Ahhhh well, **** happens eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I did the same thing, had surgery to reatach the tendon, ended up with a button sewn onto the tip of my finger for 4 months with my whole hand in a cast. Works fine now though.
    BDTR, do you think i would still be able to have my tendon attached even though it has been like this for almost 3 years?

BDTR is offline Retired
    If it didnt snap back further yet i think so... Go see a doc, I dont see how you lived with it this long, it's annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    If it didnt snap back further yet i think so... Go see a doc, I dont see how you lived with it this long, it's annoying as hell.
    Yea when I get thinking about it. The **** thing gets REALLY annoying! but I just dont think about it.

Thread Information