spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

Cindy Williams' editorial about the 13% pay raise for the military

Subject: Fw: an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial

This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America.

On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:
    I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overp ayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service)and my bank account.
    Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40, after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum...

I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you.

Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone -- obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opened piece.

But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis,
    my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is
    nothing shor t of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private
    sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC

The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Great post.

yikes!! is offline Associate Member
    man, our women and men in the armed forces need moral and financial support....what a biatch to say they get more than they deserve......

SwoleDave is offline Associate Member
    haha, good response...

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Hell yeah we need more money. All those ribbons on the cars are great, but they don't do much for the average soldier

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Its bogus - its not Shirley it is an MIT prof - and it is a misrepresentation of that even

http://www.truthminers.com/truth/cindy_williams.htm

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    While agree that military folks deserve a pay raise, and probably 15% isn't enough to make up for previous years of lousy pay raises, there is something he neglected to mention in his letter . . .

Sure, he may only be getting $13,413.60 in $$$, but he is also getting free medical care, free food (it was pretty good when I was in the USAF) and all he can eat, free lodging, and lots of other free things. Plus, when he enlisted, he probably didn't know much about Cisco communication hardware, so he got the equivalent of a AS degree at taxpayer expense, and when he finally gets out (assuming the USAF doesn't get his butt killed in Iran), he will be able to make a pretty good living working for Raytheon or some other electronics company.

So, ya, he's probably overdue for a decent payraise (but then, who isn't?), but he's getting lots of other good benefits that he doesn't mention . . .

-Tock

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    free medical care, free food (it was pretty good when I was in the USAF) and all he can eat
    Word. I used to go through the line TWICE. Anyhoo, good job Cycleon. :spudniklu

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member

slight discrepincy

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    Subject:
    I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum...

***then he goes on to say***

But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis,
    my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is
    nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private
    sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC

It would sound more convincing if it came from an infantryman or anyone else in the combat-arms, because I can guarntee you that he lives in the best comforts the military can offer an enlisted man (being that hes a computer network tech).

but im not in the american army, so i cant be for sure on that

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    It would sound more convincing if it came from an infantryman or anyone else in the combat-arms, because I can guarntee you that he lives in the best comforts the military can offer an enlisted man (being that hes a computer network tech).

but im not in the american army, so i cant be for sure on that

I think its just fine coming from him. Great post.

Thread Information