Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Car subs, 2 10's or 2 12's

I'm leaning towards putting a couple of 10's into my civic for extra punch. Local best buy has a packaged deal on some rockford fostgate subwoofers with amp. I can also upgrade to JBL's... but what size should I put in there? I listen to mainly hip hop and trance. 10's will sound cleaner for trance and 12's will provide more boom for hip hop. 10's give me more trunk space.....

What do you bro's think I should put in there?

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Invest in making your trunk not rattle when your subwoofers are going, then buy the 10's.

Go with the 10's.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    Invest in making your trunk not rattle when your subwoofers are going, then buy the 10's.
    Great advice. I can't stand the cars where the whole structure shakes and what you hear becomes a mess. If you can't reinforce the structure, go with smaller subs.

GetPumped is offline Senior Member
    Yah bro go with the 10's. Two Rockford Fosgate 10's in a honda civic will slam hard bro. My friend has one 10 in the back of his truck and it has more than enough boom to it. You want your music to actually sound good and be able to hear the words. Two 12's would be overkill.

10's, they attack alot quicker, and kick.

Wrath is offline Associate Member
    Just get one GOOD 12' (or 15, buts that a stretch) Alpine makes this really nice one...I think its called 'R'. Rockford fostgate has really gone down but are getting better. You would never have been able to get them at BestBuy before, and I think that showed that they were lowering their quality. I had two 15's of the old fostgates ( dual voice coil) in my truck...and they got stolen

Civics have good sound insulation so if you aren't really tryin to have the whole block hear your music and just want crisp sound inside the car cabin you should really think about just getting one Sub that can handle a lot, and get a good strong amp to that one sub..and you'll be rocking . Psychotron was right...invest in that dynomat, I think its called, to further dampen the rattling and you'll be set

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath
    in that dynomat, I think its called, to further dampen the rattling and you'll be set
    Or you could fiberglass re-enforce it all, haha. But that might be out of your league of expertise.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    tell u the truth i would get one badass 12 and good amp, that would sound real good i think better than the 2 10s and ull have truck space MO

zuke is offline Member
    i had one 12 in my last yukon and it sounded good...

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    it all depends bro.. if you go with 10s make sure they are top model subs.. 2 average 10" subs dont sound or hit good in my experiences.. a bro on this board that i know has top model jls 10" and it slams.. i got 2 12" pioneers in my civic.. they are average i didnt want to much and i really like them... im not a fan of bass hitting so hard that it drowns out the vocals.
    Last edited by phatmark; 02-17-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    When I was looking at subs I was told that 1 good sub is just as good as 2 cheaper subs. Plus it takes up less space. I have a phoenix gold Xmax 15" with a phoenix gold xs500 amp in my grand cherokee. Ive yet to hear a better sounding or louder sub. I hit 146.2 db. I think phoenix gold has an awesome product line. If its not out of your expensive this is what I would get.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for the advice........ I think I'll go with 2 10's. Probably the JBL's. Any advice on securing the **** so it doesnt get stolen? I know if they want it they'll take it but I was thinking of bolting it down somehow

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Make sure to get some Dynamat.. Is your civic a hatchback? the 12's are good for longer bass lines, 10's hit harder and quicker which is great for rock/punk. I like the 12's personaly but they have to be powered right. What kind of box are you thinking of running? the jbl W7 is one of the best subs ever, or you could run a single kicker solobaric they are a sweet sub too!

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    10's JL audio 10w7 not jbl

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDeity
    JL be da shizzy ... haha

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDeity
    right sorry.. its such a kick ass sub

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I am packing 2 12' Punch Fosgate's in the trunk of my 2000 Cavalier..

I have 2 amps as well, one just for bass and the other for mids-highs....

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    2 10's bro your car is small its all relative. get a killer amp pumping atleast 600 watts to it. use dynamat extreme on your trunk its a little more expensive but its much easier to apply and has more sound deadening than the original dynamat. JL's, and fosgates subs are really nice.

As mentioned above the kicker solo barics are sick!! If you get 2 10's of those that would be pretty nuts!! The fact that your subs would be square would be most novices in awe when they see them!!! But youd need a really powerful amp to maximize what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    2 10's bro your car is small its all relative. get a killer amp pumping atleast 600 watts to it. use dynamat extreme on your trunk its a little more expensive but its much easier to apply and has more sound deadening than the original dynamat. JL's, and fosgates subs are really nice.

As mentioned above the kicker solo barics are sick!! If you get 2 10's of those that would be pretty nuts!! The fact that your subs would be square would be most novices in awe when they see them!!! But youd need a really powerful amp to maximize what they can do.
    Yea I would think a nice 10 or 12 inch solo baric powered RIGHT would be sick

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    dont waste your money on dynamat

goto Lowes and pick up "Peal 'n Seal" its the exact same **** as Dynomat extreme and you will crap your pants when you see how cheap it is. Youll get a whole roll for 20 bux, where as dynamat would give you 2 freakin 10" x 10" squares

Thread Information