Thread: False Grip

frank_frank is offline Senior Member

False Grip

what do u all think about using a false (open) grip when doing hang cleans, with straps???

i am so much better at a false grip compared to a regualr closed grip...

does anyone else do this ???

BDTR is offline Retired
    I can envision the bar flying off and knocking your teeth out.

The only thing i use a false grip on is hammerstrength incline bench.

Aboot is offline Banned
    It's called a suicide grip for a reason.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yeah, f*ck that!

~SC~

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    urg, whats a false grip lol?

BDTR is offline Retired
    Open palm, thumbs off.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Open palm, thumbs off.
    Oh, yea fuk that. I do enough cleans to know thats not smart.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I can just imagine having the strap let go or rip and getting hit in the face with a weighted barbell. Doesn't sound fun to me.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't think anyone should use wrist straps, ever. But that's just me.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I agree.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    I don't think anyone should use wrist straps, ever. But that's just me.

Why not?. Its not a grip strengthening exercise!. I don't use straps because my grip strenght is very important for my Judo and so I don't miss a chance to improve upon it. But for the average guy in the gym I'd recommend their use.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Why not?. Its not a grip strengthening exercise!. I don't use straps because my grip strenght is very important for my Judo and so I don't miss a chance to improve upon it. But for the average guy in the gym I'd recommend their use.
    why? Any excercise that requires grip becomes a grip strengthening exercise. Best way to get huge forearms is to move weight with no straps. The less you use them, the less you need them.

why? Any excercise that requires grip becomes a grip strengthening exercise. Best way to get huge forearms is to move weight with no straps. The less you use them, the less you need them.
    If I was training my back, and was losing 50lbs on the weight because i was losing my grip (for any reason) I'd be hugely p*ssed. Its just my opinion that I'd be selling myself short.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    If I was training my back, and was losing 50lbs on the weight because i was losing my grip (for any reason) I'd be hugely p*ssed. Its just my opinion that I'd be selling myself short.
    see,we agree. that's my philosophy on the forearms. You're basically wasting an opportunity to give really hardcore training to a muscle group. Think about it, you wouldn't want to take your rear delts out of the rowing, or your biceps out of pullups. so why do people intentionally take their forearms out of deadlifting, rowing, pulldowns, shrugs, cleans, etc?

see,we agree. that's my philosophy on the forearms. You're basically wasting an opportunity to give really hardcore training to a muscle group. Think about it, you wouldn't want to take your rear delts out of the rowing, or your biceps out of pullups. so why do people intentionally take their forearms out of deadlifting, rowing, pulldowns, shrugs, cleans, etc?

We don't agree. First off I'd rather target the muscle I'm training and not have a smaller group fail first, selling me short. Case in point being you said "Think about it" " you wouldn't want to take your rear delts out of the rowing, or your biceps out of pullups." The reason why people take a false grip on chin's, rows and most back exercise's is to help take your biceps out of the exercise!. Your biceps will fail everytime before your back will. Its also one of the reasons why light high rep pullover's are a fantastic pre-exhaust back exercise, because they take your biceps out of the exercise and your back should fail in the chins, rows etc before the smaller bicep muscle group. You can do the same exercise on a lat pulldown machine by standing back from it, leaning towards it at a 45% angle and pull the bar (with straight arm's) to your thigh's. But the topic isn't about exercise routines, and I'm just giving my opinion on using straps and why I don't.

then we agree to disagree. I guess i just feel that grip strength is important to everyone, not just judo artists and competing powerlifters.

then we agree to disagree. I guess i just feel that grip strength is important to everyone, not just judo artists and competing powerlifters.
    We agree then!. I do grip training exercise's for my grip, and back exercise's for my back, never both together!..

Its like when I drink whiskey and coke!,
    When I drink whiskey I drink whiskey, when I drink coke I drink coke. But NEVER both together!.

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    well i dont know what to do.. ive tried really hard to switch to a regular grip, but i seriously cant do it!! i guess ill just put a mouthpiece in when i do cleans. J/K
    but seriously i guess ill just do it until i break my face

Thread Information