redmeat is offline Senior Member

When people ask you how much you bench, do you **** with them?

When random people ask me what I bench I like to tell them I don't work out. Or sometimes I just make up some random number. Like 250, or 300, or 600. No matter what I say, they're always like "Wow." And then they'll say they know this guy who benches more than me. Or they'll tell me how much they used to bench, before they got injured.

I don't know, maybe I'm just an asshole.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Bro, i came home and told my girlfriend i benched 550 and she said "my dad used to be able to do more than that", he weighed like 210 and benched the same.

Usually when people asking me I just tell them "over 500" or if im feeling cocky i say "almost 600".

Angelis is offline Banned
    If its some punk kid I make up some random number if its a fellow BB'er then I say honestly... I dont care what they think of it high or low. I get the same results you get from the punk kids though... If I said I benched 1000 there "friend" bench 1500

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah i always get (i used to bench such and such)

i dont like that question cos there are too many variables
    incline/decline/flat - amount of reps

i dont ever max out so i'll tell em i do 120Kg for 7 reps,

then they say yeah i can do 100kg but for all you know they are talking about a smith machine or a cr"ppy chest press

last time someone asked me how much i bench i said "A small vehicle"

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I live in small enough area with a lot of gyms so lying about the bench is not an option as you may be called out at anytime, the higher your bench the more chance of being called out. I keep a nice flat bench and a crapload of weight in my garage for all of those guys that claim to match my bench or come **** close. It usually just collects spider webs since I work out in gyms only but every once in a while it comes in handy to put a MR skinny claiming 400 under about 315 to watch em squirm as the bar hits the chest and never comes back up "**** I can do it at my house, must be your bench" or the infamous "I'm tired today, usually I can get 10 reps out of that"

BDTR is offline Retired
    I've gotten the same excuse when i've called people on their ****!

The best is "nah bro, i just worked chest a few days ago"

Militia is offline Banned
    well i teared my pec a year ago and now i can only bensh 250lbs , and when someone ask i tell him the exact weight i bensh i dont care what they think.

I just tell them the truth which would be, I warm up with around 650lbs then just add another 100lbs either side on each set.

Joking aside I just tell the truth firstly because I'd look stupid if they asked me to show them and I couldnt lift it, and secondly I dont care about strength I just want my muscles to grow.

bigbodyjosh is offline Member
    I hate it when someones parents tell me they used to be as big as me. My ex Gf's dad for example used to tell me how he used to lift but couldnt awnser me a single BBing question. He was totally clueless. He's like i used to lift way more then you too. It's like stfu!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbodyjosh
    I hate it when someones parents tell me they used to be as big as me. My ex Gf's dad for example used to tell me how he used to lift but couldnt awnser me a single BBing question. He was totally clueless. He's like i used to lift way more then you too. It's like stfu!
    I dont understand why people would make something like that up, just jealous I suppose.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Hhahahahah thats awsome you have no Idea how many older guys claim the same thing.. like wtf shut up beatch

D-END is offline Anabolic Member
    the only thing worse than that to me is when somebody says," you're big as fvck, but I know this guy who is like way bigger than you."

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    The guy I work out with his buddy keeps asking him how much I bench and then claims that isn’t sh!t and he can lift more. Funny thing is when I or my friend call him to work out with us he is nowhere to be found and when he does come over to the house he will never prove us wrong… He is always claiming some excuse … It has been a while since I did chest, I haven’t eaten all day, I don’t have time right now, ect, ect, I just think it is funny that he sh!t talks so much ….

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    I live in small enough area with a lot of gyms so lying about the bench is not an option as you may be called out at anytime, the higher your bench the more chance of being called out. I keep a nice flat bench and a crapload of weight in my garage for all of those guys that claim to match my bench or come **** close. It usually just collects spider webs since I work out in gyms only but every once in a while it comes in handy to put a MR skinny claiming 400 under about 315 to watch em squirm as the bar hits the chest and never comes back up "**** I can do it at my house, must be your bench" or the infamous "I'm tired today, usually I can get 10 reps out of that"
    haha, i sometimes have my best days when I am lacking sleep, one a few weeks back, my dog ate my ear plugs. I cant sleep with sound, so i got like 2 hours of roll around crap.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i usually just smile, and say want to arm wrestle for $100???

doesn't work anymore ........cause.... they've either payed.. or seen..

oh well
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by redmeat
    When random people ask me what I bench I like to tell them I don't work out. Or sometimes I just make up some random number. Like 250, or 300, or 600. No matter what I say, they're always like "Wow." And then they'll say they know this guy who benches more than me. Or they'll tell me how much they used to bench, before they got injured.

I don't know, maybe I'm just an asshole.
    i just say, "more than you"

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    people dont ask me how much i bench... i usually get the "Do you work out?" line!

profbiv is offline Associate Member
    I found a great cure, “hey come by the house or gym, and let’s see”. I found that most of the mouths will do one maxed rep and that’s about it. When you bring up reps they sort of drop the entire conversation or complain about an injury or something. The other way I found to shut down mouths is to bet on 25 pull ups.

Myself I only go to 225 max bench and the back down to 200 and do a bunch of reps.

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    usually when people ask you how much you bench they have the "beach muscles mentality"... aka, they train pecs, bi's, and abs... where benching is the true test of total body strength... i passionately despise this type as they never squat or do correct back workouts... and personally i think deadlifts or squats are a true test of total body strength...

so my answer to "how much do you bench?" is: "how much do you squat?" and then when they look at me dumbfounded i just tell them that benching isn't a true test for total bodystrength, it is a great indicator when included with squat max and dead max, but by itself it means nothing to me...

ps... i know people who can bench 6 reps more than their max squat... how terrible is that???

Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    usually when people ask you how much you bench they have the "beach muscles mentality"... aka, they train pecs, bi's, and abs... where benching is the true test of total body strength... i passionately despise this type as they never squat or do correct back workouts... and personally i think deadlifts or squats are a true test of total body strength...

so my answer to "how much do you bench?" is: "how much do you squat?" and then when they look at me dumbfounded i just tell them that benching isn't a true test for total bodystrength, it is a great indicator when included with squat max and dead max, but by itself it means nothing to me...
    Amen brutha

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    ps... i know people who can bench 6 reps more than their max squat... how terrible is that???
    now thats pathetic!!

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    I only bench 45's on either side, with 10's a little away from them so they make a lot of noise when i bring them down. That impresses people.........

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I tell them i bench 10 plates both sides. Not that its 5lbs plates i use haha!

Quote Originally Posted by TRLS63
    now thats pathetic!!

at my school there's a lot of those kids... it's actually entertaining to go to the gym sometimes and watch people "squat" which consists of 315 lbs and a six inch motion... and then watching them walk away from the rack afterwards acting all mocho and whatnot... those of us who know what we're doing just laugh and watch...

dirtdawg is offline Anabolic Member
    this is one of the reasons why i hate almost everyone, stupid ass people with stupid ass questions, with a stupid ass replies

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I get that ask all the time, in fact just last week. When I tell them only around *** they reply is that all, looks like you can do much more! Then I tell them I am not into the numbers thing anymore but more into feeling the muscle working. Occasionally, I will do 405lbs bench partials for reps or 440lb decline partials and that gets immpressive to some but not myself. The how much question is meaningless...

spound is offline Anabolic Member

Yea, no ****, some like 50 year old man asked me what i benched in the grocery line and I just said I dont max out and I was like I rep 315 5-7 X's and he goes yea I used to be like you, right around there. THen he proceeds to tell me not to stop b/c you will get fat and all the muscle turns to fat, like the way he is now

I usually just say I dont know, I dont work out.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I usually reply " a two storey house"

allsaucedup is offline Member
    one time i told this kid i was only doing the bar for like 50 reps to work on my endurance. I saw him in the gym couple of weeks later repping out 3 sets of just the bar. Kid was clearly a genious

Thread Information