Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 49
  1. #1
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110

    The smith machine

    I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea how heavythe bar was on a smith machine. The bar for the weight is about 20lb I think, but the bar brace that supports that also carries a bit weight, anyone got any ideas ?

  2. #2
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    I have heard anything betwen 15kg-25kg(33-55ibs). But all smiths arent alike either.

  3. #3
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    i thought it was around the 25lb myself. I only ask cos I havnt always got a spotter and cant manage big weight on an incline safely

  4. #4
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    When you let go of the bar at my gym with its saftey hooks off, it just floats because of its supports. I consider it no weight at all.

  5. #5
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    I disagree with you there bdtr cos I can easily bench around 75lb normaly, but with the smith bar i cant do it, but we may have different types or sumit like that

  6. #6
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    You bench 75 lbs or is that a typo? I'll put it this way, on a flat bench freebar i hit 5 45 lbers on each end and a 25 on each end. On the smith flat bench press I can hit 6 plates on each end. Not only is the bar lighter in my gym, but the motion is a lot easier as it requires no stabilizer muscles, just up and down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    I disagree with you there bdtr cos I can easily bench around 75lb normaly, but with the smith bar i cant do it, but we may have different types or sumit like that

  7. #7
    AVAGO's Avatar
    AVAGO is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    913
    Originally Posted by Chemical King
    I disagree with you there bdtr cos I can easily bench around 75lb normaly, but with the smith bar i cant do it, but we may have different types or sumit like that
    Is it an olympic bar you use to bench ?

  8. #8
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    no thats not a typo dude, im still a pretty small guy compared to some bros on here but compared to last year ive come on quite a bit but only started frr weights about 4 month ago, so u cud say im a biginner

  9. #9
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    I read a thread where you said you started a cycle.

  10. #10
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    yeah thats right its a deca /sust combo. But i have been at it since last Jan as a religion and before that i did it as a hobbie so i feel im ready to make the move to do a cycle. Especially after all the sh1t i have learned off you guys

  11. #11
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    MY 1st INJETIONS bro you said you did your first injection in 2004, and did two dbol cycles prior and you're only benching 75lbs? This isn't a flame, but what were you doing before? Something seems fishy here.

  12. #12
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    I dont really class that as a cycle cos I wasn't that well educated as I am now and russhed into it all after reading about the good results you guys get. My diet was crap as well. So thats why I class this as my 1st real cycle

  13. #13
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    You should probably train naturally before hitting up juice man...

  14. #14
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    The smith machine bar may add a few pounds to the lift but I never count it due to the fact it's counter balanced. I just count plates.

  15. #15
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    I think the bar on a smith machine weighs about 25lbs. It has counterweights in the machine that help to carry some of the load. I love when guys are lifting on the smith machine and think they are so strong. I feel like telling them to lift the same amount with freeweights.

    Chemical King - I don't know that you should be doing a cycle. Doesn't sound like you have a solid base to build on. If you start gaining strength your tendons will not be develpoped well enough to carry the loads and this could cause injury. JMHO, some other guys here may have different or better advice for you.

  16. #16
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    Oh and one other thing....want to get big then you'll have to do exactly what BDTR, Diesel and many others on this board already know........EAT BIG! When you think you're full from eatting a meal then you need to eat that much more before getting up from the table.

  17. #17
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    It should be 20kg like a normal bar. But depends on how its balanced.

  18. #18
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    I used to have a crap diet and a crap base to work on but now feel like my diet is in check and i have a good base to work with. I'l have to set my webcam up in next day or so and post a pic

  19. #19
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    It should be 20kg like a normal bar. But depends on how its balanced.
    Thats what I think cos the support bar is attatched to the main lifting bar only, without any other means of support

  20. #20
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    Thats what I think cos the support bar is attatched to the main lifting bar only, without any other means of support
    OIC. I used to work out at the Y and they have a smith machine like that. The one at the gym I work out at now has a smith machine with counterweights on it, so I think it is less than the 45lb. barbell.

  21. #21
    ReX357's Avatar
    ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,845
    Yo bro you should forget about the juice. 75 lbs? Don't wanna flame but the only persons I see benching that small are girls. Some girls at my gym bench more than that! The fact that your diet is in check doesn't make you ready for a cycle bro. Your age either. (Altho you should wait at least to be 21 yrs old, don't know how old you are). You gotta gain what you can gain naturally. You gotta eat monstruous amounts of food. If I were you, I wouldn't consider juice for 5 years. See where you can get in 5 years. Then talk about it again.

    Just my 0.02

  22. #22
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    I am stronger with freeweights then in the smith. My gym has 2 different smitsh. One has a heavy ass bar and the other has a big bar but somehow the supporters makes the negative part of the motion easier(you can put the bar with no weights at the top of the smith and then drop it and it will take several seconds before it reaches the floor). That to me is idiotic and counterproductive.
    Find a smith that has none of that crap and just make sure you get stronger in it....

  23. #23
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Yo bro you should forget about the juice. 75 lbs? Don't wanna flame but the only persons I see benching that small are girls. Some girls at my gym bench more than that! The fact that your diet is in check doesn't make you ready for a cycle bro. Your age either. (Altho you should wait at least to be 21 yrs old, don't know how old you are). You gotta gain what you can gain naturally. You gotta eat monstruous amounts of food. If I were you, I wouldn't consider juice for 5 years. See where you can get in 5 years. Then talk about it again.

    Just my 0.02
    Im 25 bro. Thanks for your 2 cents in this but since I have already had my first shot and frontloaded my dianobol dont u think it would be better to see the cycle threw

  24. #24
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    Im 25 bro. Thanks for your 2 cents in this but since I have already had my first shot and frontloaded my dianobol dont u think it would be better to see the cycle threw
    no it wouldnt, get of everything before you get shut down and then grow naturaly. You can easily get a 220 bench in 2-2,5 years if you put in some effort.

  25. #25
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    no it wouldnt, get of everything before you get shut down and then grow naturaly. You can easily get a 220 bench in 2-2,5 years if you put in some effort.
    Agreed. Stop before your body shuts down test production. Eat, Lift and Sleep for a few years.

  26. #26
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    Hold on bro.. are you benching 75 lbs TOTAL including the bar, or 75 lbs on each end, or maybe 75 lbs TOTAL in plates + the 45 lb bar.

  27. #27
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Hold on bro.. are you benching 75 lbs TOTAL including the bar, or 75 lbs on each end, or maybe 75 lbs TOTAL in plates + the 45 lb bar.
    Good question, I assumed 75lbs. total. Actually I think even with 75lbs. on each end, that's only 195lbs., he shouldn't be juicing.

  28. #28
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    Yes, but 195 is a lot better than 75.

  29. #29
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Yes, but 195 is a lot better than 75.
    Oh yeah, I hear ya. I'm not sure I would post it if I only did 75lbs. total?

  30. #30
    Benches505's Avatar
    Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,366
    I don't count the bar as anything on the smith machines since they do glide and you can glide it up and down with zero force.

    Best thing for you to do to build strength is to get off the smith machine and either go to regular free weights or dumbells. I only use the smith machine for military presses when my partner skips out on me for shoulder day. It does a lot more harm than good in the long run. Go light with the free weights until you can manage more.

  31. #31
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    I don't count the bar as anything on the smith machines since they do glide and you can glide it up and down with zero force.

    Best thing for you to do to build strength is to get off the smith machine and either go to regular free weights or dumbells. I only use the smith machine for military presses when my partner skips out on me for shoulder day. It does a lot more harm than good in the long run. Go light with the free weights until you can manage more.
    I hear ya. When I worked out at the Y all they had was a smith machine, no squat rack. I hated it. I actually kinda enjoy doing squats now with free weights. It's kinda like a "hurt-so-good" thing. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

  32. #32
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown
    I hear ya. When I worked out at the Y all they had was a smith machine, no squat rack. I hated it. I actually kinda enjoy doing squats now with free weights. It's kinda like a "hurt-so-good" thing. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.
    free weight squats=good pain

    smith squats=bad, stiff, joint ****ed upp pain

  33. #33
    Monkeytown's Avatar
    Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    free weight squats=good pain

    smith squats=bad, stiff, joint ****ed upp pain
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!

    I did squats on Sat. and am stiff as hell today. I love it.

  34. #34
    sp9's Avatar
    sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Land of milk and honey.
    Posts
    3,585
    Mine is a 55lb bar, no counter balance. That's the bar+ the linear bearings.

  35. #35
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Yes, but 195 is a lot better than 75.
    I Bench 195.

    As far as the smith machine goes.....because of travel.....I've hit up a lot of different gyms and every **** smith machine is different. The one in my gym is set at 25 lbs. I've been on some that were 0ish. You should probably check with the gym staff and see what your specific machine is set at. Ours has a small sticker on it that tells what it is set at....check and see if yours does.

    Chemical....you should listen to the guys. They know what they are talking about. You CAN do it naturally....why not save the rest of the gear for a later cycle. When I started lifting......I struggled with the olympic bar...now as I said above ...... I can bench 195. And that is NATTY.

  36. #36
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    When you let go of the bar at my gym with its saftey hooks off, it just floats because of its supports. I consider it no weight at all.

    makes sense to me!

  37. #37
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    makes sense to me!
    You let go of mine and it smashes to the ground!!

  38. #38
    BDTR's Avatar
    BDTR is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,363
    ****, what happened to Chemical King? I wanted to find out the answer.

  39. #39
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    ****, what happened to Chemical King? I wanted to find out the answer.
    might have to bump it a couple a times to get his attention. Not being nasty.....just curious as well.

  40. #40
    p0werlift is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    147
    smith machine bars=15 lbs. this is for most regulated smith's that are in LA fitness/worlds/golds/powerhouse etc, and it also says it most of the time above the warning sign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •