BARLOW is offline Senior Member

Why global warming is not natural

February 19, 2005
    Why global warming is not natural
    By Mark Henderson, Science Correspondent
    Report from the American Association for the Advancement of Science

THE strongest evidence yet that global warming has been triggered by human activity has emerged from a study of rising temperatures in the oceans.

The rise in marine temperatures — by an average of 0.5C (0.9F) in 40 years — can be explained only if greenhouse gas emissions are responsible, research has shown. The results are so compelling that they should end controversy about the causes of climate change, one of the scientists who led the study said yesterday.

“The debate about whether there is a global warming signal now is over, at least for rational people,” said Tim Barnett, of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, California. “The models got it right. If a politician stands up and says the uncertainty is too great to believe these models, that is no longer tenable.”

Dr Barnett’s team examined seven million observations of temperature, salinity and other variables in the world’s oceans collected by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and compared the patterns with those predicted by computer models of potential causes of climate change.

Natural variation in the Earth’s climate, or changes in solar activity or volcanic eruptions, which have been suggested as alternative explanations for rising temperatures, could not explain the data collected in the real world. Models based on man-made emissions of greenhouse gases matched the observations almost precisely.

“What absolutely nailed it was the greenhouse model,” Dr Barnett told the American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Washington. Two models, one designed in Britain and one here in the US, got it almost exactly. We were stunned.”

Climate change has affected the seas in different ways in different parts of the world: in the Atlantic, rising temperatures can be observed up to 2,300ft below the surface, while in the Pacific the warming is seen only up to 330ft down.

Only the greenhouse models replicated the changes that have been observed in practice. “All the potential culprits have been ruled out except one,” Dr Barnett said.

The results, which are about to be submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, should increase pressure on the US Administration to sign the Kyoto Protocol, which came into force this week, he said. “It is time for nations that are not part of Kyoto to re-evaluate and see if it would be to their advantage to join,” he said. “The debate is not — have we got a clear global warming signal; the debate is — what we are going to do about it.”

In a separate study a team led by Ruth Curry, of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Connecticut, has established that 20,000 sq km of freshwater ice melted in the Arctic between 1965 and 1995. Further melting on this scale could be sufficient to turn off the ocean currents that drive the Gulf Stream, which keeps Britain up to 6C warmer than it would otherwise be.

I'm bored, so I thought I'd give you all something to think about

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    The earth has been going through temperature changes for millions of years. Also, the idea of the polar ice caps melting and flooding is stupid. Water has a greater volume in it's solid state then it does in its liquid. So in theory the level would drop.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    The earth has been going through temperature changes for millions of years. Also, the idea of the polar ice caps melting and flooding is stupid. Water has a greater volume in it's solid state then it does in its liquid. So in theory the level would drop.

That would only be true if all off the icecaps was in the water. But there is ****load that is on the ground that doesnt effect seawater levels right now with its volume.

But I dont belive in the greenhouse effect either. Its just a clever manipulation of numbers. If we look at the big picture there has been NO temperatur increase since we started messuring temperature. The people claiming the warming is unnatural takes a unnaturaly cold year as a reference point. I wish I knew some english artickes about this but I only know about swedish.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Ive watched far too many hollywood films to listen to this crap. Basically, the world will freeze over in around 20 minutes and i'll have to travel to new york to rescue Decadbal from the library.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Ive watched far too many hollywood films to listen to this crap. Basically, the world will freeze over in around 20 minutes and i'll have to travel to new york to rescue Decadbal from the library.
    watch out for the wolves when your on the ship trying to get the medicine to save your girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by allsaucedup
    watch out for the wolves when your on the ship trying to get the medicine to save your girlfriend
    Substitute medicine for DNP and Girlfriend for Deca and myself then your on the right track.

Substitute Girlfriend for Deca

you want to substitute your girlfriend with deca

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    No, Decadbal. Your probably wondering where hes been no doubt? Well, the operation was a success, we can now be legally wed.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    I thought he liked asian chicks

No, Decadbal. Your probably wondering where hes been no doubt? Well, the operation was a success, we can now be legally wed.
    congratulations but plz dont share anything about the weddingnight

congratulations but plz dont share anything about the weddingnight
    Stop PM'ing me then. Dam hippies

Right, im off guys. Bye!

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey, I thought The Day After Tommorow was a pretty good flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    Hey, I thought The Day After Tommorow was a pretty good flick.
    So do I.

Btw to get back on topic who where belives that the so called warming is caused by humans?

Thread Information