Thread: handguns

Question handguns

does a .45 cal have alot more kick and is it alot more powerful than a .40 cal? Both being semi automatic.

Swellin Guest
    In a word...yes. There are many variables concerning recoil and perceived recoil. The problem you will find in comparing the two is that the .45 will be in a slightly larger frame than the .40. If they are both built on a frame intended for a .45, then the .45 will have a bit more recoil. The primary reason for this is bullet weight. Bullet weight can change the recoil of any caliber weapon. So, compare the heaviest loads in both to make it a more even comparo.

cjp85 is offline Member
    The 40 is a very high pressure round compared to the .45. The .45s pressure levels hover around 21,000 PSI as an average pressure where the .40 works at around 40,000 PSI. Thats one of the reason you don't see 40 +P or +P+. The result is, the .45 has more of a push against your hand where the .40 is somewhat snappy and has more muzzle flip. This would be comparing similar guns of course. I know some that say they can't tell the difference between 9 and 40 recoil, but after shooting for a while I can. What guns ae you looking at? I believe the gun has more to do with recoil a lot of the time than the round itself.

What about killing power or knockdown power, I guess the 45 would have alot more than the 40?

Swellin Guest
    If by killing power, you mean energy (as it is hard to establish something like killing power), then here are some results...
    .45 230gr Winchester Supreme muzzle energy....396 ft/lbs
    .40 180gr Winchester Supreme muzzle energy....408

however, the .45 has the highest percentage of one shot stops (depending on where you find your info)

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundandpoundpwr21
    What about killing power or knockdown power, I guess the 45 would have alot more than the 40?
    Killing power and knockdown power are terms that should be left to rifles. Most handgun rounds perform about the same and shot placement is what it boils down to. A 22 in the eye will do much better than a 50 BMG to the pinkey toe. I have a 9, a .40 and a .45 and as far as carrying its kind of a flavor of the week type thing. I don't feel at all undergunned with a 9MM, but it is the smallest round I would use for carry. The 40 has some good trade offs with the 45, for example its easier to conceal a .40 and they generally have a higher capacity. The 45 is great, but sometimes can be hard to conceal in light clothing and unless you want a 2x4 sized grip, the capacity is somewhat limited in many guns.

Governor is offline Junior Member
    .40 is more flippy. .45 has more of a push with very slightly more force. I dislike the kick of the .40 more.

balistically .40 and .45 are VERY similar.

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    .40 cal has more muzzle flip than the .45 and I find it hard to control for group shots and accuracy and the .45 is a larger round. I actually group shots better with a 45 than a 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by groundandpoundpwr21
    does a .45 cal have alot more kick and is it alot more powerful than a .40 cal? Both being semi automatic.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Well once the rounds open up they reach maximum velocity. The .40SW opens up to around 70 Cal right before impact..the .45, a short distance round is more a knockdown round that replaced the .38 after the Boxer rebelion.

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    The 40 is a very high pressure round compared to the .45. The .45s pressure levels hover around 21,000 PSI as an average pressure where the .40 works at around 40,000 PSI. Thats one of the reason you don't see 40 +P or +P+. The result is, the .45 has more of a push against your hand where the .40 is somewhat snappy and has more muzzle flip. This would be comparing similar guns of course. I know some that say they can't tell the difference between 9 and 40 recoil, but after shooting for a while I can. What guns ae you looking at? I believe the gun has more to do with recoil a lot of the time than the round itself.

.......Good post, I agree completely. You beat me to it.

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    right on point

I own 12 guns and I dont care for the 45 round at all. Its an old timers round in my opinion. there is a new .45 GAP from Glock that is a proprietary round and its much better than the .45 acp. although very expensive to shoot.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    ill stick with my g19 hahaha i love that **** gun. i have had 45's and shot many 40's but the 9mm i love! i had a small shooting contest with my friend that is a sherrif's deputy with a .45 glock. we both shot at the same time 5 times almost as fast as we can.. i had all 5 of mine in a 4 inch group compared to his 6inch group. the main thing was the fact that i finished in half the time he did. we did this little test a few times and i won every time and i hardly ever shoot anymore. he shoots all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    ill stick with my g19 hahaha i love that **** gun. i have had 45's and shot many 40's but the 9mm i love! i had a small shooting contest with my friend that is a sherrif's deputy with a .45 glock. we both shot at the same time 5 times almost as fast as we can.. i had all 5 of mine in a 4 inch group compared to his 6inch group. the main thing was the fact that i finished in half the time he did. we did this little test a few times and i won every time and i hardly ever shoot anymore. he shoots all the time

your test comes down to who is a better shooter unfortunately. There are guys that shoot competitive in "ipsic" i think its called that fire 15-30 shots in 2 inch groups.that means nothing to me though. its the guy that can shoot effectively in a high stress situation not paper. Still i agree with you on 1 thing, most reliable gun i have ever shot is my g19c. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    your test comes down to who is a better shooter unfortunately. There are guys that shoot competitive in "ipsic" i think its called that fire 15-30 shots in 2 inch groups.that means nothing to me though. its the guy that can shoot effectively in a high stress situation not paper. Still i agree with you on 1 thing, most reliable gun i have ever shot is my g19c. I love it.

sorry forgot to add that the last test was us running in place for 1 minute, 10 pushups, and 20 jumping jacks then pick the guns up and fire 5 times as fast and as accurately as you can.. granted i am in better shape but still he shoots all the **** time. my point is get a gun that you can shoot in all situations. 9mm's can kill just like a 22. its all about shot placement

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    sorry forgot to add that the last test was us running in place for 1 minute, 10 pushups, and 20 jumping jacks then pick the guns up and fire 5 times as fast and as accurately as you can.. granted i am in better shape but still he shoots all the **** time. my point is get a gun that you can shoot in all situations. 9mm's can kill just like a 22. its all about shot placement

stressful meaning when fired upon or when attacked. not who is in better shape. I wouldn't carry a .22 or even a .380 for personal protection if you paid me thats for sure. 9mm or .40 only for me. a .22 could kill you if you were naked and shot in in the chest. try shooting thru a down coat with a .22. wont even penetrate barely.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal Cracker
    Well once the rounds open up they reach maximum velocity. The .40SW opens up to around 70 Cal right before impact..the .45, a short distance round is more a knockdown round that replaced the .38 after the Boxer rebelion.
    Hp's don't expand till they hit something that they can expand in, and even then if the load is not proper reliable expansion can be a problem. But contrary to the somewhat popular belief, they do not expand until they are in the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    stressful meaning when fired upon or when attacked. not who is in better shape. I wouldn't carry a .22 or even a .380 for personal protection if you paid me thats for sure. 9mm or .40 only for me. a .22 could kill you if you were naked and shot in in the chest. try shooting thru a down coat with a .22. wont even penetrate barely.

no we did the best we could to mimick high stress scenerios. my heart was racing with sweat in my eye when i was shooting granted i wasnt scared but we did the best we could..

Thread Information