Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

How much do you dip?

What kind of poundages are you guys using when doing dips?

Dips has always been my best chest exericse. Last workout I did 7 reps with 50kg(112,5ibs). Didnt go to a deep stretch but still decent reps for sure. I want to be able to rep with 80+kg(180ibs)

With bodyweight I dont know how many I can do. I usualy warmup with 25 dips to full stretch but that isnt failure.

BDTR is offline Retired
    6 45's on a chain at 320.

The power of being a lardass!

Could go heavier but my wrists and shoulders bother me and having that many plates between your legs is uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    6 45's on a chain at 320.

The power of being a lardass!

Could go heavier but my wrists and shoulders bother me and having that many plates between your legs is uncomfortable
    god **** thats 120kg. Holy ****

BDTR is offline Retired
    Fat helps my strength, when I cut down im a pussy, very weak. I need too many calories to maintain strength.

For me, my dipping weight is a little bit more than my bench press (if you count body weight + plates) What about you guys?

BDTR is offline Retired
    Just a funny story from a while back. I was trying to do dips but someone was using the regular thick handled bars and I was in a rush so I looked around and saw the assisted dip machine. I figured what the hell, it had two bars and sinks down. So i put a plate over the knee rest and pulled the pin out so the helper pad would stay at the bottom. I warmed up with my bodyweight, then moved up to 2 plates... The ****ing handles snapped from the machine and i fall on my ass after hitting the **** steps up to the machine, **** near cracked my tailbone doing so. Funniest thing ever, people tried hard not to laugh but i was in so much pain i was laughing hysterically.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Fat helps my strength, when I cut down im a pussy, very weak. I need too many calories to maintain strength.

For me, my dipping weight is a little bit more than my bench press (if you count body weight + plates) What about you guys?

My bench 1rm is 140kg(315) and my dip strengh is 50kg and bodyweight is 95kg. So im repping with around 330ibs. My dip 1rm must be WAY above my bench 1rm. My bench sux

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    My bench 1rm is 140kg(315) and my dip strengh is 50kg and bodyweight is 95kg. So im repping with around 330ibs. My dip 1rm must be WAY above my bench 1rm. My bench sux
    LOL he could dip you! Hahaha

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I stopped dipping with weights a few years ago. Think of it like this. Your putting that HUGE poundage on two little hinges which you CAN NOT buy in the DIY store, now would you swing out of your sitting room door even though you knew you can buy new hinges?. Not a chance, weighted DIP's are just far too risky, the risks don't out weight the advantages IMO.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    I have just got back into dips. Im doing 30kgs for 12 at the moment, so nothing really impressive.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I usually do dips towards the end of my chest routine, and the beg of my triceps, so my chest is usually pretty fried. When I do do them, I usually do three sets of 8-10 with 260 (190 bw and 70 of weights). I might throw them in earlier to get more benefit before my chest reaches fatigue. What kind of benefits have you guys noticed?

p0werlift is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I stopped dipping with weights a few years ago. Think of it like this. Your putting that HUGE poundage on two little hinges which you CAN NOT buy in the DIY store, now would you swing out of your sitting room door even though you knew you can buy new hinges?. Not a chance, weighted DIP's are just far too risky, the risks don't out weight the advantages IMO.
    to each their own. i can dip 250 lbs at a 228 bodyweight.5 plates and a quarter for a set of 3, ive been doing this excercise for 6 years now. and for what bdtr said, about the handles breaking on the weighted dip machine. i would rather USE the weighted dip machine, and stick a 45 over step than to use the dip rack that my gym has. reason being, the dip rack we got has wide handles and it bothers my shoulders and takes away some stress on the tri's(which i dont want). when i use the weighted dip machne and stick a plate over the step, it works 5x better because the handles are more narrow. i dunt know how long it can take 500 lbs of stress though.........
    Last edited by p0werlift; 03-05-2005 at 08:21 AM.

Now you are scaring me bouncer. The dip rack did make some very uncomfy sounds last workout. I thought the mofo was gonna break. Il use the other rack next time for sure. My old gym had one of those racks they use in athletic fitness competitions. Would like to se someone use enough weight to break one of those mofo's

To me dips is the MOST beneficial upper body exercise I can do. I often do them as my first exercise in chest workouts. When working chest I use a belt to hang weights on. When working triceps I put a dumbell betwen my feet so my body gets pulled very straight. Dips and declines is what I get the best pump and feel from

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Body weight (290lbs) plus 70lbs at the end of my chest workout. That's a little bit more than my 1RM.

Quote Originally Posted by p0werlift
    to each their own. i can dip 250 lbs at a 228 bodyweight.5 plates and a quarter for a set of 3, ive been doing this excercise for 6 years now. and for what bdtr said, about the handles breaking on the weighted dip machine. i would rather USE the weighted dip machine, and stick a 45 over step than to use the dip rack that my gym has. reason being, the dip rack we got has wide handles and it bothers my shoulders and takes away some stress on the tri's(which i dont want). when i use the weighted dip machne and stick a plate over the step, it works 5x better because the handles are more narrow. i dunt know how long it can take 500 lbs of stress though.........

How do you feel has dips effected your bench strenght? Heavy dips always makes my bench go upp. Do you notice the same? Not only directed to powerlifter everyone else feel free to answere that question. I just dont notice many powerlifters doing dips for some reason
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 03-05-2005 at 09:22 AM.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    A few months ago before i hurt my shoulder(on a hammer strength chest machine) i was getting the 100lb plate and the 45lb plate for reps(145lbs) plus my body weight(180lbs). Tris have always been a strong point for me.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I hung a 125lbs dumbbell under my legs and had some girl hang on my back with my body weight at 228. That was funny.

dirtdawg is offline Anabolic Member
    now i just do my body weight, i go for 20-30 reps

kis55 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    What kind of poundages are you guys using when doing dips?

Dips has always been my best chest exericse. Last workout I did 7 reps with 50kg(112,5ibs). Didnt go to a deep stretch but still decent reps for sure. I want to be able to rep with 80+kg(180ibs)

With bodyweight I dont know how many I can do. I usualy warmup with 25 dips to full stretch but that isnt failure.

I go through over a can and a half a day of copenhagen. The **** tobacco taxes are killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by kis55
    I go through over a can and a half a day of copenhagen. The **** tobacco taxes are killing me!

god **** snusmumrik

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    This is exactly why I stopped doing them a few years ago. I used to work up to 3 plates for 6-8 reps and then one day it just hit me.....my gym has a relatively high dip bar and its got this other crap attached to the bottom of it and I thought if I eat it while doing these it is not going to be a clean fall no matter how I play it. Quit doing em pretty much right then and there. Find a machine like the Hammer Strength one that simulates the lift or substitute heavy decline benches with a really steep angle.

...weighted DIP's are just far too risky, the risks don't out weight the advantages IMO.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    dips absolutely KILL my wrist
    ~HOP

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    I can dip a lot, in fact i think im the biggest dip in my gym.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    at 189 bodyweight i rep out 12 with a 110 lb dumbell chained.. I don't like using plates, they're awkward.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    I dip about a tin of skoal a day.....
    i dont use weights for dips though

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    This is exactly why I stopped doing them a few years ago. I used to work up to 3 plates for 6-8 reps and then one day it just hit me.....my gym has a relatively high dip bar and its got this other crap attached to the bottom of it and I thought if I eat it while doing these it is not going to be a clean fall no matter how I play it. Quit doing em pretty much right then and there. Find a machine like the Hammer Strength one that simulates the lift or substitute heavy decline benches with a really steep angle.
    The Decline bench press used to be called 'the poor mans dip', it hits your chest more or less the same way and it far safer IMO. Weighted dips look hardcore, and I guess its good to talk about how weights messed up your joints when your a youngster, but I wish with hindsight that I had listened when I started out!.

The Decline bench press used to be called 'the poor mans dip', it hits your chest more or less the same way and it far safer IMO. Weighted dips look hardcore, and I guess its good to talk about how weights messed up your joints when your a youngster, but I wish with hindsight that I had listened when I started out!.

your just a old cranky bastard jelous of us young guys

The moment I get pain(bad pain) from a exercise I ditch it imidietly. I just pray and hope that will never happen in dips cause its my number 1 exercise for sure Decline are good but I never get the same "worked" feeling from them.

Thread Information