Thread: Car mods

maxmuscle187 is offline Senior Member

Car mods

If theres any car buffs here i have a question. If you were to turbo/super charge your car, what other mods would you need or want to have? Just so your engine can cope wiht the newfound power and not blow up.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Blown SC, where are ya bro...

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle187
    If theres any car buffs here i have a question. If you were to turbo/super charge your car, what other mods would you need or want to have? Just so your engine can cope wiht the newfound power and not blow up.
    i duont know that much but i used to co-own a car shop that did all that shlt.... i think u might wanna re-build the engine and u would def need an intercooler. lol i dont know anything else.

Swellin Guest
    This is entirely dependant upon the application. While some kits require nothing more than a fuel presure regualtor, other upgrades require pretty much starting from scratch.

On the very lighter end of the mod scale, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and exhaust would be useful.

As you step up, you need more air flow through your intake and your heads, in order to harness the greater volume of compressed air. At this level, you often need to replce the reciprocating assembley with billet parts, in addition to the upgrades listed above.

Now you will need to make certain that your drive train is capable of withstanding the increase in torque. At the very least, a torque converter or clutch replacement should be considered for the longevity of the project. If you go with a higher output, you need to pay attention to the driveshaft, third member, and the axles (as well as the transmission internals).

The next consideration is traction. Depending upon your application, this could get really in depth.

****, he knows his **** huh?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    This is entirely dependant upon the application. While some kits require nothing more than a fuel presure regualtor, other upgrades require pretty much starting from scratch.

On the very lighter end of the mod scale, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and exhaust would be useful.

As you step up, you need more air flow through your intake and your heads, in order to harness the greater volume of compressed air. At this level, you often need to replce the reciprocating assembley with billet parts, in addition to the upgrades listed above.

Now you will need to make certain that your drive train is capable of withstanding the increase in torque. At the very least, a torque converter or clutch replacement should be considered for the longevity of the project. If you go with a higher output, you need to pay attention to the driveshaft, third member, and the axles (as well as the transmission internals).

The next consideration is traction. Depending upon your application, this could get really in depth.

its a 2000 honda civic dx. im thinking of droppin in a turbo kit or a supercharger. its too **** slow for me.

Swellin Guest
    The mods you need will depend on the level of forced induction. How much boost and what you want to do with the car (straight line or corner).

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    You could take alot of the guess work out of the responses you'll get, and get more specific information, if you'd post a few engine specs, as to what kind of set up you already have (i..e....what type of car, what motor, is it factory stock, or has it been modified in any way...trans, again is it stock, or has it been beefed up in any way.... rearend...exct...

This kind of info is helpfull to those responding, even though Swellin pretty much covered most everything, but I can't remember if he covered one very important issue which is when beefing up the motor and adding extra (muscle) hp, you should also not forget that it's gonna take a lil bit extra to stop it as well.

Edit, my bad I guess it took me to long to type, it lol I now see you said what type of car....sorry
    Last edited by Sierra_Breeze; 03-09-2005 at 11:56 PM. Reason: because, I'm so tired I misspelled several words, even missed putting a few in. Duh

1.6l sohc non vtec. i have a true cold air intake, thats about it performance wise. im thinkin of a turbo or supercharger at 7-8pounds of boost. so far ive figured out i would need: hi-performance fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, peformance headers, posibbly intercooler system, hi flow cat, cat-back exhaust, and a high performance braking system.

its basically a stock setup

First thing I would suggest is to buy a couple, or at least one, automotive repair manual that pretains to what it is you're looking for, they always come in handy...and are easily kept beside you for quick refference.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...nouncement.pdf

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/hon...fications.html

Do a search on ebay, google or wherever to find them...or visit your local bookstore or automotive store.

thanks

You're welcome Now wanna race???

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra_Breeze
    You're welcome Now wanna race???
    What do you drive? Im debating whether to make this car a rocket, or invest in a v8 and mod that.

What do you drive? Im debating whether to make this car a rocket, or invest in a v8 and mod that.
    Lol, I drive a '99 Ford Taurus SE, 24v dohc........that's it....lol I could take ya going down hill

And the v8 always takes my vote, you can get more hp for your buck, they're easier to work on, and depending on the type you choose you can nickle and dime them to death........keep adding as the money will allow as apposed to dropping a $h!tload of cash into the civic, and still not mesuring up to the V8........

This is just my opinion though, I'm sure I'll take heat for that statement but it's just my opinion.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    bro if you need any help you can pm me. i have been in the high performance bizz for 12 years

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Cold air intake would be a good first start....Then exhaust, headers, chip or fuel air mgt system...

OG

63190 is offline Anabolic Member

I'm a diesel mechanic by trade.

If your going to go super charger, you need long tube, ceramic coated headers, an X-pipe and a nice low restriction exhaust, for max power/efficiancy.
    On the intake side, you need a strong hi-flow air filter that won't colapse.
    If your doing internals, you need forged pistons, and if your doing that, you might as well get low compression pistons, so you can crank up the boost.
    You'll need a good fuel pump and regulator, so you won't lean out under full throttle.
    Then you need to get your computer reprogrammed. You'll probably need to go to a higher lb/hr injector set or your duty cycle will be above 80% and they'll crap out quickly.
    If your going turbo and mounting the things to manifolds, obviously you don't need headers. But an X-pipe always helps, and you can run augers or bullet mufflers, as the turbo kills alot of the exhaust noise.
    Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car mods-track.jpg  
    Last edited by 63190; 03-10-2005 at 02:30 PM.

thanks for the help, ill keep you posted on what mods i do step by step

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Swellin pretty much has you covered already, nice to see...

If it were me, I wouldn't bother dumping the $ into that car... but, to each their own ... if I had to choose which method of Forced Ind. to use, I would go with a turbo... on your car that is...

Now, be aware of the fact that you are going to be investing THOUSAND$ of dollars into your Civic in order to accomplish what you are planning.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Blown SC, where are ya bro...

muff-chaser is offline Associate Member
    forged internals would be helpful especially at high lbs of boost

rimz is offline Junior Member
    I have thought about getting a charger for my truck. Only wierd thing is mine is a 4x4 with 33" mud tires. It would be sweet to burn my tires going down the road though and see the heads turn. Only set back is that is expensive. Personally since you already have the intake, I would get some headers, shift kit, exhaust (don't remember if you have one), and a 75-100 shot of nos. Much cheaper and great results.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Wouldnt bother with your car man. Pick up a turbo eclipse or something if you like turbo imports. Cheap and easy to learn on.

If not, nothin beats a cheap old 93-97 LT1 camaro or trans am. Great power for the money man.

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    1.6l sohc non vtec. i have a true cold air intake, thats about it performance wise. im thinkin of a turbo or supercharger at 7-8pounds of boost. so far ive figured out i would need: hi-performance fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, peformance headers, posibbly intercooler system, hi flow cat, cat-back exhaust, and a high performance braking system.
    you ready for the best advice you'll ever get.. if its the only car you have do not go Forced induction on it. Reliabilty will be a major issue no matter what kit you use or who installs it. I used to own a honda performance shop. 1st off compression is atleast 10:1 which is very high w/o being FI. The safest way to go is turbo at about 4 lbs max but reliabilty is the #1 issue. it will not be as reliable at all.your cold air intake is no longer needed, no header either. here is what is needed...
    adjustable fuel pressure regulator that is boost dependent (fmu), downpipe not header to an exahust, turbo manifold, turbo, doesnt have to be intercooled but it will most likely blow up w/o it at 10:1 compression, thicker headgasket to lower compression. thats just to start. minimum $2k to start.

oh, and if its supercharged it will be miserbly hotter. i wouldnt supercharge anything but a v8.

trust me it will be a money pit. i had a 625 wheel horsepower dual cam honda. obviously more money spent but always needed work. I did turbo kits all day on kids cars like yours and they become a weekly project as you want to go faster and faster. If you want to go faster sell the honda dx and buy a twin cam integra.

Or domestic V8. What's the same between a 400 HP V8 Domestic and a 600 HP 4 cylinder import? They both run 12's.

yea its gonna be pricey, maybe just hold off until iget a v8.......

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Or domestic V8. What's the same between a 400 HP V8 Domestic and a 600 HP 4 cylinder import? They both run 12's.
    yeah your right i'll show you video of a full street legal honda making just over 600whp that ran 9.5 all day long last year. not even sure what he is running this year since i have been out of racing since 03. I've seen 03 cobras go mid 11's too with under 400 hp. I have love for both types cars.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I would highly recommend a turbo over a supercharger all day. That being said, consider an engine swap maybe to a 1.6 or 1.8 DOHC and get a turbo on that. You would have capabilities to make alot of power in a little car. Things you will need would be your fuel system which are things like injectors and fuel pump, intercooler and piping, exhaust downpipe back, gauges, safc, short throw shifter if its a manual and depending on if you want straight line fast or cornering fast upgrade the suspension along with it. You could just upgrade the suspension afterwards if you want straightline fast but those are the biggest things off the top of my head...

What part of Canada are you from??

vettewreck is offline Banned
    I have a buddy with a Honda Civic with 636whp and 360wtq. Built motor, t90 turbo, blah blah blah...he spent $12k on the motor alone. On a civic Id go with a Turbo but like SWELLIN said....it all just depends how far you wanna go.

$12K :O thats just insane man, my car probably cost taht much..lol....im from western canada....i guess im just gonna wait it out, cuz i mite be able to get my hands on a v8 this summer. If so ill save my money for that engine and start buildin it up.

$12K :O thats just insane man, my car probably cost taht much..lol....im from western canada....i guess im just gonna wait it out, cuz i mite be able to get my hands on a v8 this summer. If so ill save my money for that engine and start buildin it up.

reread it again!! 12k on the motor alone. that means pistons, rods, head, cylinders sleeves. etc.. 600+ whp costs a nice 20k+ for everything if you do it right .I was up over 35K with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    reread it again!! 12k on the motor alone. that means pistons, rods, head, cylinders sleeves. etc.. 600+ whp costs a nice 20k+ for everything if you do it right .I was up over 35K with mine.
    i dont get that, if u are willing to spend 35K, why not just buy a sports car? I mean if i invested 20K into my car, and it worth about 12-15K, i could invest a little bit more and just buy a car thats already fast.

i dont get that, if u are willing to spend 35K, why not just buy a sports car? I mean if i invested 20K into my car, and it worth about 12-15K, i could invest a little bit more and just buy a car thats already fast.
    this could be debated for years... just tell me one thing what sports car could you buy with 600+ hp at the wheel for 30k factory??? actually name one you could buy for 800,000 ??? none.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    this could be debated for years... just tell me one thing what sports car could you buy with 600+ hp at the wheel for 30k factory??? actually name one you could buy for 800,000 ??? none.
    yea but you could buy a gto, or trans am, or camaro, or mustang cobra, svt. Invest another 6K into these cars and they could be super fast. The new gto is stock 400hp, im sure 600 could be reached.

yea but you could buy a gto, or trans am, or camaro, or mustang cobra, svt. Invest another 6K into these cars and they could be super fast. The new gto is stock 400hp, im sure 600 could be reached.

thats correct but you said already fast.

now take the gto for example...

the new gto is 400 hp not at the wheel. more like 350. you need to add another 250 hp to it which is very easy with just nitrous. does the gto caost more 25k??? + nitrous kit + anything else you are going to break on it. the debate goes on and on. it also still will never go 9.5et with 600hp. too heavy.

bottom lin eis an i dont really wan tto debate on cars. there are 100's of routes to get to 600 hp. you could argue all day. the chevy guys say they can do it with a 1000.00 car and a big block with nitrous, the ford guys can do it with a 351 and a charger, its all what you want.

Big block is 200 pounds heavier than the small block. Just get an LS6 from a wrecked Z06, stick it in a chevy II, glass front end, deck lid, bumpers, door skins, lexan windows... adds up to about 1600lbs. Stage 3 CNC heads, T-rex cam, 1100 cfm Demon race carb, Victor Jr Intake, roller tip rockers (summit brand works well and is cheap) Large tube primary, stepped headers, 4K stall on 2 speed 'glide (Or stage 3 clutch with the Z06 six speed.), 12-bolt spool, or 9-inch with an ARB air locker (for street ability), this could be a decently quick street car.

a typical proven v8 setup that goes fast. Not everyone wants to have the same exact car as their neighbor however.

yea thats true.

Thread Information