Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    toddy is offline Junior Member

just watched commando

This was probably the 20th time I have seen it but it is a great movie.
    Everytime I watch the movie I am so impressed with Arnold's
    physique. Its seems to me that he looked perfect in his 80's action
    movies ( Predator, Commando ). I am also reminded by the fact that
    todays top bodies don't even look human. Arnold looks about as good
    as you can look in those movies, while still resembling a normal human
    being. Do you all think today's pros really look that good? I think they
    look like shit because their bodies are so chemically altered. Something
    is weird when you have veins coming out of your ass. That doesn't
    look good in my opinion. And most of us can't even relate to these
    guys because we are so off from them. I think Dorian Yates fucked
    the whole scene up when he came out in the early 90's, or whenever,
    all geared up. Then all the dudes began darten themselves with GH and
    insulin . Would you all rather look like the bodybuilders of the 70's and 80's
    or the guys of the 2000's?

Arnold_Is_God is offline Junior Member
    I agree 100%!!! The golden age of bodybuilding...arnold's time was by far the best. I think they had the overall best package. They weren't just going for size, like the guys now. I wish things could go back to the way it was. Arnold in predator was amazing!!!!

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    i think it's a unanamous decision: arnold is the man

BIG RED I is offline Junior Member

arnold of austria_

HI AR members,

this seems to be the best time and place, if any, to set the record straight concerning the praise and over gratuity surrounding arnolds bodybuilding career and suppossed 'wonderful' action/ adventure flicks!

firstly, i agree with all, arnold was president in bringing bodybuilding to the attention of the populace at large as he was an emphatically great ambassador for the bodybuilding community in his time and probably presently as guys now are way HUGE. interestingly arnold's charisma and aura was 'BOLD' beyond belief full stop, as were the peaks of his BI'S.

i do think however, if people go to the length of praising. why not balance praise with constructive truth. this should include negative aspects. i think we all know arnold isn't a legend as say Bob Marley or Winston Churchill. much more likely, many bodybuilders were up to the mark of arnold's physique. i should mention weider's assistance, but that would dent my chances of sponsorship! we will eventually see like minded winners, like arnie for example, but we only have hopefuls, meat heads and goats. where does olympia participation fits into this, i'm not sure!

my main arguement lies in that arnold was only better by a margin of competitive 'edge'. in short, arnold had a competitive edge and not godly greatness. traditional praise suggests he is god and he's the best ever, doesn't mean anything to the rational and logical peoples of this world!

my admiration is evident, yet it doesn't extend as far as saying arnie was god. let's start with his acting ability. arnold wasn't a good actor, as some people will have me believe. infact he couldn't put two words together. however i understand that wasn't the purpose of his action flicks so i reside to limited comment. ''i'll be back''? perhaps ''parting is such sweet sorrow", no? okay!

interestingly, arnold has done well to get as far as he has, so we can all praise him for his efforts. it's others putting arnold on a plynth of 'invincible' glory which suggests to me sillyness. arnold was very good on screen, no doubt. including foremost physique competitons and career.

it's some peoples of the public who are ignorant of hollywood demons and 'muscle image'. which means 'zip', if there's no voice to suggest a human host residing. having said that, i readily admit, arnold looked fantastic on screen. as we all know, any genetic defects of muscle tone for example would be evident to the naked eye. i observed arnold to have no flaws in his genetic make up, so i can understand the fascination and admiration of the man. this is where people get a little silly and say he's this and that. in reality he's as normal as austrian/ american pie!

getting back to bodybuilding, arnold is an addition to a long list of others which included greats like sergio, nubret, ferrigno who were all genetically talented, gifted as arnie. my praise therefore goes to arnold for keeping on top of the situ and marrying into the white house. note i get upset when peoples are blind to the fact that arnie's persona was like dull. even more, some say he was abrasive? so where is the next arnold? any volunteers!

red

toddy is offline Junior Member
    I think you took my post a little out of context. I was simply trying to
    comment on they way bodybuilders have changed over the past decade
    or so. I said that I appreciate the bodies of the the pros back then.
    Arnold came up in the post because he was one of the best but mostly
    because I watched Commando an hour before.

durbin22 is offline Member
    Arnold' physique was amazing. In my opinion there is no comparison between the 70's and 80's bodybuilders to the ones today. They had size, cuts and tiny waists. Today GH guts are in. I would rather see a guy 240lbs ripped with a small waist then a 300lb guy that looks like he is ready to deliver.

Steele is offline Member
    i have a degree in film and am out here in LA working in film. i have studied the medium, as well as the actors and when a fellow filmaker asks me what my favorite movie is, they always expect me to mention a classic or something from a great director, but i always tell them the truth. my favorite movie is Predator. that movie kicks ass! arnold may not be the best actor, but he is larger than life, even his personna broods confidence. sure there are other great bodybuilders, but none of them have marketed themselves as well as the austrian oak.

about todays bodybuilders, they look like freaks, and that was cool for a little while, but the disstended stomachs gotta go. i am glad flex wheeler is back, maybe he can bring back some of the lost aesthetics that we all like.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    i just want to say that personally, i think zane was better than arnold. zane had perfect symmetry and great posing. now i truly believe everybody had better posing back then, but zane was the man. if i had to pick a body to look like it would be him not arnold. of course at my height, id be something like 225 lbs, but thats another story.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    hmmm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails just watched commando-commando.jpg  

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    Arnold could have won the olympia 10 consecutive years if he wanted to (maybe even more). Noone else could make that claim.

Decoder is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Arnold_Is_God
    I agree 100%!!! The golden age of bodybuilding...arnold's time was by far the best. I think they had the overall best package. They weren't just going for size, like the guys now. I wish things could go back to the way it was. Arnold in predator was amazing!!!!

Agreed also.

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    SwoleDiesel662: actually ronnie coleman is very close to being able to make that claim so.... take it as you wish buddy

ShYnE[sK] is offline New Member
    To me Coleman looks like an experiment went wrong...

MachZ is offline Member
    Look at Arnold in Conan the barbarian, absolutly awesome shape.

Roadkill is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShYnE[sK]
    To me Coleman looks like an experiment went wrong...
    This thread is nearly a year old. good job dragging it up.

Latimus is offline Banned
    Bodybuilders are getting a little out of hand...that is why people always refer back to arnold...today they have wastes that are huge...he had something like a 26 inch waste at most...his arms look as big as his waste...thats what makes him look the best...

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Black guy - "This green beret out of Fort Brag, is going to kick your ass!!"

Arnold - "I eat green berets, for breakfast, and right now i'm VERY hungry!!"

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Is_God
    I also agree

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Commando...classic

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    truly a great movie lol.

jon rock is offline Associate Member
    Arnold looked awesome and his classic build is timeless. But i think coleman
    looks great. Before we say he is a freak consider this, After being hackled
    and booed at the olympia he came back this year and set a new standard he
    will probably die from whatever he did to get so huge but he must really love
    his sport cause he sure didn't do it for the money considering the prize is a lousey 100 grand or so.

DELTA9MDA is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Latimus
    Bodybuilders are getting a little out of hand...that is why people always refer back to arnold...today they have wastes that are huge...he had something like a 26 inch waste at most...his arms look as big as his waste...thats what makes him look the best...
    26" waist, yeah right.
    ide rather look like dorian than arnold. dont get me wrong, arnold was the man in his time, which is past.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    all the arnold haters need to be banned IMO

j/k... i am a big franco fan myself, his back was divine

Paullusion is offline Associate Member
    no one has better pipes than arnie. I really like cutler and coleman's physiques, but I don't have a chance at ever getting that big so I don't have the same aspriation looking at them as I do arnie.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    anybody see the clip from behind the scenes of predator where jesse ventura claimed to have beaten arnold in an arm wrestling match ?

O.fO.shO is offline Member
    This thread got dug up twice .

But yes 80's BB are the best . Now it seems 'bigger is better' to alot of people . Bodybuilding is supposed to be about looking good ......not being an ugly freak .

Monsoon says is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED I
    HI AR members,

this seems to be the best time and place, if any, to set the record straight concerning the praise and over gratuity surrounding arnolds bodybuilding career and suppossed 'wonderful' action/ adventure flicks!

firstly, i agree with all, arnold was president in bringing bodybuilding to the attention of the populace at large as he was an emphatically great ambassador for the bodybuilding community in his time and probably presently as guys now are way HUGE. interestingly arnold's charisma and aura was 'BOLD' beyond belief full stop, as were the peaks of his BI'S.

i do think however, if people go to the length of praising. why not balance praise with constructive truth. this should include negative aspects. i think we all know arnold isn't a legend as say Bob Marley or Winston Churchill. much more likely, many bodybuilders were up to the mark of arnold's physique. i should mention weider's assistance, but that would dent my chances of sponsorship! we will eventually see like minded winners, like arnie for example, but we only have hopefuls, meat heads and goats. where does olympia participation fits into this, i'm not sure!

my main arguement lies in that arnold was only better by a margin of competitive 'edge'. in short, arnold had a competitive edge and not godly greatness. traditional praise suggests he is god and he's the best ever, doesn't mean anything to the rational and logical peoples of this world!

my admiration is evident, yet it doesn't extend as far as saying arnie was god. let's start with his acting ability. arnold wasn't a good actor, as some people will have me believe. infact he couldn't put two words together. however i understand that wasn't the purpose of his action flicks so i reside to limited comment. ''i'll be back''? perhaps ''parting is such sweet sorrow", no? okay!

interestingly, arnold has done well to get as far as he has, so we can all praise him for his efforts. it's others putting arnold on a plynth of 'invincible' glory which suggests to me sillyness. arnold was very good on screen, no doubt. including foremost physique competitons and career.

it's some peoples of the public who are ignorant of hollywood demons and 'muscle image'. which means 'zip', if there's no voice to suggest a human host residing. having said that, i readily admit, arnold looked fantastic on screen. as we all know, any genetic defects of muscle tone for example would be evident to the naked eye. i observed arnold to have no flaws in his genetic make up, so i can understand the fascination and admiration of the man. this is where people get a little silly and say he's this and that. in reality he's as normal as austrian/ american pie!

getting back to bodybuilding, arnold is an addition to a long list of others which included greats like sergio, nubret, ferrigno who were all genetically talented, gifted as arnie. my praise therefore goes to arnold for keeping on top of the situ and marrying into the white house. note i get upset when peoples are blind to the fact that arnie's persona was like dull. even more, some say he was abrasive? so where is the next arnold? any volunteers!

red
    Arnold had a great physique, you straight wrote a compisitory essay out of no where your a nut...

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    you didnt watch it naked did you?

about the predator thing. I have the special edition and Arnold said he told the wardrobe department to tell ventura that that his arms were only 18". So ventura hear's this and starts telling everyone he has bigger arms then mr. olympia. The make a bet, and I'm sure we all know who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Paullusion
    about the predator thing. I have the special edition and Arnold said he told the wardrobe department to tell ventura that that his arms were only 18". So ventura hear's this and starts telling everyone he has bigger arms then mr. olympia. The make a bet, and I'm sure we all know who wins.
    lol

AVAGO is offline Member
    Ahem..... ATTENETION 3 year old thread

DELTA9MDA is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Latimus
    you are saying arnold had a 26" waist? im mean, really? right

Arnolds waist was more like 34 inches.

zuke is offline Member
    who cares? he's one of the frontrunners of the new steroid laws that are going to crack down on every one of us. talk about a hypocrite.

AVAGO is offline Member
    WARNING thread started 12/09/02

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVAGO
    WARNING thread started 12/09/02
    Warning you just bumped it.

AVAGO is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA74
    Warning you just bumped it.

And you bumped the bump.................

and I bumped that bump

peaker is offline Senior Member
    "you let off some steam...Bennet!!"

lol

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Arnold is da Man! Bodybuilding changed priorities. Bigger is better this days. Nobody want to see 180lbs bodybuilder when 240 lbs monsters exists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information