LetFreedomRing is offline Junior Member

Limbaugh on Steroids and Baseball (FINALLY!!!)

In a country where there is almost zero objective coverage on steroids , Rush Limbaugh is a breath of fresh air. My take on day #3 of Rush's coverage on Major League baseball and steroids is at the very worst Limbaugh was very fair and objective in his coverage. Today he spoke with a "former" bodybuilder and the basic gist of the conversation was "people in every avenue of life will take risks to increase performance and give them an edge, and if a person is willing to take a risk, then let them. I mean what's next, will we tell supermodels they can't have plastic surgery to increase their appeal? Where does the regulation stop?"

As a talk show host with the largest audience anywhere at any given time (at least 7 million, and over 20M a week tune in), he signed off saying "alot of people like the athlete's increased performance, and if truth be told the majority of Americans don't have a problem with steroids in baseball , and the Government ought to stay out of baseball." He also said that steroids at the very least ought to be allowed as long as they are administered under a doctor's supervision (he used Swartzenegger as his example on this).

Rush has had several pro-steroid calls, and he did not lampoon them at all that I could tell -- very pro-choice on this issue. In fact, yesterday a major sports radio DJ interviewed a legislator and the DJ brings up Limbaugh's comments. The legislator's response is that Limbaugh was in effect paid off by baseball . Rush's response? "I haven't been in contact with anything baseball since '83 (when he worked for the Kansas City Royals). Alot of good info and objective talk from the "doctor of democracy", El Rushbo

Tomorrow is "Open-line Friday", so if you want to call in with your "pro-steroid -- except in the case of minors" message, great time to do it (10AM - 1PM EST); 7 million mind-numbed robots at any one time will be listening to what you say, and that's more than ANY media outlet has access to.

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    i am glad to see someone in the media taking our side, after what Rush did to mess his carrer up it probibly doesn't mean too much to most people.

doctorherb is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    I hate that fat bastard, but at least he's pro-juice!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorherb
    I hate that fat bastard, but at least he's pro-juice!
    Well, maybe not PRO-juice, but at least not ANTI-juice. You gotta figure at least 1/2 of his over 20 million listeners are going to have a similar viewpoint.

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LetFreedomRing
    Well, maybe not PRO-juice, but at least not ANTI-juice. You gotta figure at least 1/2 of his over 20 million listeners are going to have a similar viewpoint.
    rush had to take a semi-pro juice stance because he is pro-vicodin....

xfade7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asymmetrical1
    rush had to take a semi-pro juice stance because he is pro-vicodin....
    lmao, i like rush.

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    Actually that was oxycon I think but it is great to see him be fair people really have no idea and are so misinformed

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    Actually that was oxycon I think but it is great to see him be fair people really have no idea and are so misinformed
    right right....the easy stance would be to trash roids and baseball

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    funny too when he had someone that was going on about the damage of steroids and lyle alzado - and Rush told him that there was no proof that his death was related to steroids - so it is something he does know a little about

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    funny too when he had someone that was going on about the damage of steroids and lyle alzado - and Rush told him that there was no proof that his death was related to steroids - so it is something he does know a little about
    I can see that ass-for-brains DJ from the Boston music station saying that Rush was an admitted steroid addict/user, or anyone in the media for that matter (Rush did talk today of the difference between prednisone -- a corticosteroid he addressed as the "best worst drug I've ever taken" -- and the other anabolics)

More quotes from Limbaugh today

These are taken directly from Rush's site:

"After steroids we're waiting for hearings on hemorrhoids. It's a big problem in Congress -- and when are we going to get into the Botox hearings? I mean, people are dying!"

"I haven't been approached by anybody in baseball on anything since 1983 when I was reprimanded for something I did working at the Kansas City Royals."

"There's nothing wrong with being a regular guy. I'm a regular guy."

"I love the NFL but if we're serious about steroid policy, where's the NFL? Where's the NBA? Where are other sports. I mean, how do we know golfers aren't using steroids?"

Limbaugh transcripts

My bad; couple of things I said above weren't 100% accurate. Here's a transcript, courtesy of the EIB network (the "other" people are obviously recorded cues, because Rush does not have guests on his show):

RUSH: Now, "Major League Baseball announced a new drug-testing policy two months ago, the supposed get-tough approach was hailed on Capitol Hill. But on the eve of testimony before a House committee, members of Congress criticized the plan after getting a chance to read it. Senator John McCain, who in January said the agreement 'appears to be a significant breakthrough,' changed course Wednesday. 'I can reach no conclusion, but that the league and the players union have misrepresented to me and to the American public the substance of MLB's new steroid policy.'" This is in a letter that he wrote to the baseball commissioner Bud Selig and the head of the players union, Donald Fehr. "Saying he expects changes to the policy, McCain added: 'To do anything less than that would constitute a violation of the public's trust, a blow to the integrity of Major League Baseball, and an invitation to further scrutiny of the league's steroid policy.'"

Now, apparently what happened is -- this is what McCain is claiming happened -- that the league announced its new policy in January, and everybody hailed it, and the league said that first-time offenders face suspension and a possible $10,000 fine, but when they apparently read the deal it doesn't say that, according to McCain. It says a suspension might happen and a fine of somewhat less than $10,000, and so these members of the Senate and members of the House feel outraged that the terms of the deal were misrepresented to the public, misrepresented by baseball in January when they announced this. So today on Good Morning America Joseph Biden was the guest, and the fill-in host, Bill Weir asked him a couple questions. First one was this, "Let me play devil's advocate in terms of the kids angle on this. If you catch your 14-year-old smoking a cigarette do you blame John Travolta because he smokes in movies?"

BIDEN: Guess what we did? We did say that what we're gonna do is you're not going to advertise on television. You're not going to have -- for smoking, you're not going to have -- advertise on television and make it glamorous. You don't have movie stars doing what they did in my generation on television. The point of this is, goes beyond the kids, though, quite frankly, beyond the health part of it.

RUSH: Now, Biden next admits that the goal of these hearings is to drag these players up there and embarrass the living hell out of them.

BIDEN: You get into the arena now and know that the only shot you have, at least you think it is, is if you go and use anabolic steroids to be competitive. And, by the way, it's not a lot better in the other sports, either. It goes to our national psyche. I think this is a big deal. I think we should make it clear that we think it's a big deal and embarrass the living hell out of these people and hope they begin to act like solid, upstanding people.

RUSH: All right, now, what does that tell you? He admits the purpose is to bring these players up there and "embarrass the living hell out of them so they begin to act like solid, upstanding people." Now, some of you may agree that that needs to be done, but is that the role of Congress? Is that the role of Congress, to embarrass the living hell out of people and to make them act like solid upstanding people? Now, here's the Tom Davis clip. Davis is the chair of the House committee that's looking into this today, conducting the hearings. He was on WMAL yesterday, our Washington affiliate.

VOICE: Rush Limbaugh said you chair the committee on government reform. What does this have to do with government reform?

DAVIS: Well, one of our jurisdictions of course is drug policy. That is something we spent a lot of time on this committee. We've written law. We do a lot of overhearing and steroids are an illegal drug.

VOICE: And plus Congress has --

DAVIS: -- and I don't take my orders from Rush Limbaugh --

VOICE: No, but I found it curious because --

DAVIS: You know what's happened? Some of the people who are into the corporate side of baseball, up there getting the nice seats and the free tickets and everything else, baseball is calling in their chips with these commentators and these people --

VOICE: Wait a minute, what you are saying, Limbaugh is on the take from baseball?

VOICE: But wait a minute. You guys have an anti-trust exemption that only baseball has.

VOICE: They also get tax breaks.

VOICE: Yeah, that's right.

DAVIS: Look, baseball has worked this very, very hard. They have gone to all their friends and said, "We need your defense on this," and now all of a sudden they're left out there embarrassed when they see that baseball's policy isn't what they said it was.

RUSH: Now, the last thing he said, I guess they've learned. They finally read. They subpoenaed a bunch of documents and they found out that the deal as written is not exactly as it was portrayed and that's one of the things. But, you know, this business now that baseball is reaching out to commentators and calling in the chips in exchange for tickets in luxury boxes and this sort of thing? I have to tell you, folks (laughing). I haven't been approached by anybody in baseball on anything since 1983 when I was reprimanded for something I did working at the Kansas City Royals. That's not what this is about. The first part of this question was actually the substance of my point. This committee used to be called the House Operations Committee. Now they call it the House Government Reform Committee. It basically is a committee that looks at reforming government operations and this sort of thing and is branching out now.

The thing about this that's strange is that it looks like there is an agreement of some kind and the players and owners have come to some sort of thing. You've got Canseco's book out there, you've got Canseco and Jason Giambi who have now admitted that this has gone on. So it just strikes me that a bunch of congressmen want to come in at the tail end of the process and get in on the bandwagon, take some credit for what has already been done, make it look like it happened because they want it to happen, and Biden says, "We want to bring them up there, we want to embarrass the living hell out of them." As I said earlier this week, I think baseball ought to have a hearing. I would chair the hearing of baseball players on how Congress has botched a whole bunch of social programs. I mean, wouldn't it be fair to sort of turn the tables? Let's grandstand just to illustrate the point. Illustrate absurdity by being absurd.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the man, but I'd be inclined to labe Rush Limbaugh the king of all douche bags. I dig Howard Stern-I'd like to hear his opinion on the matter.

IntensityX is offline BDTRs SHEMALE
    I mean, how do we know golfers aren't using steroids?"
    Tiger Woods in on 2000mgs of Test and 300mgs of Drol

Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    I don't know the man, but I'd be inclined to labe Rush Limbaugh the king of all douche bags. I dig Howard Stern-I'd like to hear his opinion on the matter.
    Looks like your "douche bag" is on your side now. Bigger audience than Stern, and he didn't get kicked off the air for offensive public indecency (which pulled a huge audience of one sort away, but gained him another type, but likely not the type that could help on this issue; Rush has ears in Washington, however -- and Stern has raucous laughter). I'm curious as to what Stern thinks as well, but I'll look to your report, as I'm not curious enough to listen.
    Last edited by LetFreedomRing; 03-18-2005 at 07:52 AM.

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    These people don't realize that all of this attention to streroids being in major sports is making young people want to try them even more. There were still some kids that didn't think you had to have them to make it in pro sports, but after hearing how all of these pro's are on anabolics, they think that is the only way to do it. Bad publicity is just making it a bigger problem. Just like when a certain music artist is dogged for explicit lyrics, what does everyone do, go out and buy the CD. It just brings more curiousity.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Looks like your "douche bag" is on your side now. Bigger audience than Stern, and he didn't get kicked off the air for offensive public indecency (which pulled a huge audience of one sort away, but gained him another type, but likely not the type that could help on this issue; Rush has ears in Washington, however -- and Stern has raucous laughter). I'm curious as to what Stern thinks as well, but I'll look to your report, as I'm not curious enough to listen.
    Hey, he's not "my" douche bag and I personally enojy listening to offensive public indecency. But hey, it's not like I actually know either one of these guys, so they both could be douche bags for all I know. To each his own, dude, if Rush is your guy, well, then good for ya.

Thread Information