chevy44 is offline Member

car diagnostics... help me please!!!

alright guys so heres the scenario and my questions;
    i drive a 96 ford mustang v6.
    the other day the service engine sign came on, so i got it scanned at auto zone, and the code came up to it being a misfire in cylinder 3.. to make a long story short i kept driving it, hard (i know im an idiot), and my car shut down coming off of the freeway. now heres the problem, i tried starting it several times and it made the starting noise but it acted like it had no spark. so i changed the plugs and wires and it started but was rocking, really really bad, then i noticed that it had been leaking coolant. so i checked around and i blew the gasket on the water pump and the thermostat. so then i checked the oil dipstick and there was definately water in my oil pan so i know i blew the head gasket but now im starting to think that it is much more than the head gasket, because it still rocks when it starts, and i have blown the head gasket in my camaro b4 and it still ran but just ran hot, so im thinking i blew a piston, the rings or something.. what do you guys think?? and also, my gauge NEVER read taht my car was overheating, is it possible that the gasket can go without the car even overheatinG???

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    If you had coolant mixing with your oil, its going to thin it out pretty fast and make a ton of friction and heat.

I’d just have it towed to a local shop, most will tell you what is wrong and give you an estimate with the parts cost. Shop around for the parts then and you can save a bundle.

I’ve been able to do just about every repair to every car I’ve owned and I’m not a mechanic or someone who likes to work on cars. I just take my time and it helps to also use a digital camera to take pictures when your taking the things apart.

yah i plan on doing the work myself, actually i already took the upper portion of the intake manifold off but im not certain if theres more to it, and if there is i think i just might buy a used rebuilt engine... anymore input?

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Get it checked out for sure, and your right it might be cheaper and a lot easier to buy a motor from a salvage yard or a rebuilt motor.

It did not throw a rod or anything? Have you been able to check the timing? It could be shaking if its just misfiring. Fix the easy parts first, drain the oil, see how much coolant is in your oil, check all your plugs for spark and have the timing checked.

thanks.. bump

twiztidjuggalo74 is offline Associate Member
    dirty injectors

dirty injectors?? i think im gonna throw her back together and take her toa mechanic to get diagnosed properly

Monsoon says is offline Associate Member
    Yea Id say dirty injectors too

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    fyi...i think there is a recall for 96 head gaskets. find out at your ford dealer, if so put your **** back on and let them fix it

Thread Information