co2boi is offline Anabolic Member

An Interesting Question

I came across this on BB.com and thought it was an interesting question. It's not that it hasn't been asked a million times, but the rapper statement at the end kind of put it into perspective for me.

------------------
    The Question:
    With the latest controversy surrounding Arnold's involvement in professional bodybuilding and its promotion, some have asked for the IFBB to ban steroids and other illegal drugs "for real". The IFBB says they are not allowed in its competitions, but everybody knows that the pros are using illegal drugs and most of the pros will admit it. Should the IFBB crackdown on illegal drugs and seriously test every athlete for all illegal drugs before and after every competition?

If so, what would be the effects on pro bodybuilding? Would it gain more mainstream acceptance? Or would small, less freaky athletes simply draw less of a crowd until IFBB pro shows are as small as amateur shows? What would be the effect on the entire bodybuilding and fitness industry?

If you do not believe they should ban illegal drugs, then why do you believe this? Do you believe that sooner or later law enforcement will start arresting more of the pros? Or will they ignore it like they do with rappers who admit to smoking weed?

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    The genie got out of the bottle a long time ago. Unfortunately I think pro competition has gained too much momentum in the direction in which it is now going. The fans and judges want to see monsters, even if they do have grossly distended guts and they huff and puff just getting up a couple flights of stairs. The graceful, proportioned, artistic, agile and healthy physiques of 30 years ago are a thing of the past in pro shows. All-natural, REALLY natural, like with random tests throughout the year, would be the death of professional bodybuilding. Expectations are too high. If you aren't 275 at under 6%, nobody wants to see you walk off the stage with a sandow. With all-natural pro competition, there would be handfuls of recreational bodybuilders who do a couple grams per week carrying more mass than a Mr O! Myself, I would love to see judging standards revert to about the mid-1970s, when a Zane or an Arnold or a Franco could beat a Coleman or even a Ferrigno. Look at Arnold's midsection during his day... Spare, trim, tight. He could suck it in and you would swear you could look up into his ribcage. The contrast between the width of the lats and shoulders versus the narrow waist was inspiring. Arnold would barely get his pro card, today, and probably never make the Olympia... wouldn't even place well in the Arnold Classic! Everybody wants to see hyooooge guys, and to hell with whether they actually look good or not.

It would be nice to see more emphasis on truly natural competition. The contrast between the last all-natural bodybuilders of bygone days with today's BBers, with our superior knowledge of training and nutrition, would be interesting. I love gear, don't get me wrong. But I do think that I would have a lot of admiration for a truly natural champion who achieved greatness without drugs of any kind.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah, I agree. Kinda makes me wonder the same about every sport. Take drugs out of baseball, wrestling, the Olympics, etc and everyone becomes sub-par. I say leaglize the ****. At least the govt could tax and regulate it then. Plus we could get it cheaper and it would be pure.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i think arnold should suffer a public execution...

phuckin loser

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    i think arnold should suffer a public execution...

phuckin loser
    totaly disagree with ya

Thread Information