I just saw the stupidest thing in the gym today.

I had to vent about this because this kid made me soooo mad today at the gym. So this teenager (about 6'1" 125lbs literally) is walking around the gym doing the following workout.

Bench Press, Squats, Preacher Curls, T-Bar Rows...

When he reaches the squats he throws 135 on the bar and does 12 of the ugliest half-reps I have ever seen. He then sneaks away rubbing his lwer back. He comes back up a minute later wearing the ankle attatchment from the cable machine... as a BELT!!! Not only that it is loose on the kid. This thing honestly cant have a diameter of more than 10 inches. The kid then procedes to work up to 225 on dquats doing the most half-assed reps ever and complaining about how easy it is. He procedes to pass his 'belt' around to the rest of his partners who use it to do their preacher curls. The whole situation just pissed me off because these kids walked around like they were the biggest hardasses of the gym and they didnt do one thing correctly. I know we all start somewhere, but this was just ridiculous.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    lol thats pretty funny bro, but all gyms have people like that.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by LACBodybuilder
    I had to vent about this because this kid made me soooo mad today at the gym. So this teenager (about 6'1" 125lbs literally) is walking around the gym doing the following workout.

Bench Press, Squats, Preacher Curls, T-Bar Rows...

When he reaches the squats he throws 135 on the bar and does 12 of the ugliest half-reps I have ever seen. He then sneaks away rubbing his lwer back. He comes back up a minute later wearing the ankle attatchment from the cable machine... as a BELT!!! Not only that it is loose on the kid. This thing honestly cant have a diameter of more than 10 inches. The kid then procedes to work up to 225 on dquats doing the most half-assed reps ever and complaining about how easy it is. He procedes to pass his 'belt' around to the rest of his partners who use it to do their preacher curls. The whole situation just pissed me off because these kids walked around like they were the biggest hardasses of the gym and they didnt do one thing correctly. I know we all start somewhere, but this was just ridiculous.
    i got u beat.. this kid about 145lbs puts on 2 weight belts and does squats.. starts at 135 and resp are deceant then he jumps to 225 n' im like oh dear god .. yes he is all shakey goes down about 4 inches? and his back BENDS the WRONG WAY! even w/ 2 belts ...
    and to my amazement he jumps to 315?! yes it was sad i thought he was gunna break.. he gets all shakey leans forward kinda bobs up and down 3 times then trys to rack it .. but it goes on uneven such sadness.

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    You bet that's funny...I don't care who ya are...

Just like anaBROLIC said, just something you find everywhere.

xfade7 is offline Member
    god i just stare and watch those kids and have the dumbest look on my face like *WTF ARE YOU DOING DUMBASS*... and then they get uneasy and go do another machine.

Quote Originally Posted by xfade7
    god i just stare and watch those kids and have the dumbest look on my face like *WTF ARE YOU DOING DUMBASS*... and then they get uneasy and go do another machine.
    yeah.. i was hoping he would crash and hurt himself.. i was going to applaud ><

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    So critacizing him is going ot do what?......Be a good Bro and tell him what he's doing wrong and show him how to squat properly......just what i'd do!...instead of waiting for him to hurt himself

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    2 kids at my gym rolled in to the free weight room this weekend talking loud enough for everyone to hear saying lets start with 80's for presses. i got my attention because they were small and i was thinking they were going to drop the weights on themselves. it was all they could just for one spotter and the one lifting to get the weights up and then they proceeded to rep about 4 inches down from fully extended. i think he got 6 half as$ed reps. then they mentioned something to me about they did the same weight as me almost and i was so much bigger. if i did reps like that i could do 130's. i can't stand people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    So critacizing him is going ot do what?......Be a good Bro and tell him what he's doing wrong and show him how to squat properly......just what i'd do!...instead of waiting for him to hurt himself
    no man, helping people is not my forte'

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    That reminds me of the ronnie coleman DVD when he's doing deadlift with 800 pounds or so and the camera pans the gym he is at, and there is a holocaust victim doing 1/8th reps with 135 on the bar it looks so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    That reminds me of the ronnie coleman DVD when he's doing deadlift with 800 pounds or so and the camera pans the gym he is at, and there is a holocaust victim doing 1/8th reps with 135 on the bar it looks so funny.
    Holocaust ROFL thats awsome i gotsa remember that

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Three people in my gym asked me if I would work legs with them because I'm like the only guy who actually works legs in the whole ****ed place. I agree and set it up were I'll lift with them on Thursday after work. First two sessions we spent doing a decent routine I've used but the main purpose was to get them all used doing the exercises and proper form. After the third week I inform them that we will now begine to really work legs and set out going through a full workout. All are doing well and doing proper lifts with perfect form.......some clown comes over and proceeds to inform the one guy, I was across the gym getting some lift staps and hear the tail end of his comment, that he wasn't lifting heavy enough. I was very polite but none the less I asked my boy to rack the weight and then asked the guy how much do you think he should be lifting. He said based on his weight, Otis tips the scales around 180, and he said he should be lifting double his weight. I then asked him how much he tipped the scales. He said maybe 198. I then load the bar with 400 and tell him to show me what he can do. He did two of the most half assed reps I've ever seen.....I'll bet he didn't drop more than 3 inches! I spent another fifteen minutes explaining to him he wasn't doing a ****ed thing and what he should be doing. Invited him back next week to do a workout with us........after the workout I thought I was going to have to carry him to his car. I told him I couldn't carry him and that if he couldn't walk he might have to crawl or roll out to the parking lot.

The following week I was doing step ups with 225 on a barbell.......he stopped coming after that day. hahahahahaha
    Last edited by Juggernaut; 03-22-2005 at 01:14 PM.

maxmuscle187 is offline Senior Member
    Some people just dont listen though. You tell them what theyre doing wrong and they just shrug it off. Then i really get pissed. There was this one dude doin bent over dumbell rows and hes tellin his friends, yea this works the shoulder. and hes just jerkin up the weight and then dropping it.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    I dont get annoyed with this stuff either, but it really does irk me when i see some skinny ass kid/guy looking at me doing an exercise, and is like "dude, i can almost do that, and hes so much bigger than me", and i watch them try to do it, and they are totally halfassed.

Whatever, shrug it off..............

I don't offer advice unless some asks. Or they come over and tell me what I should be doing.

I do love it when the skinny guys ask me how they can get as big as me. After explaining how much and how often they have to eat I get the same thing "Dude, I can't eat that much!".....and you guys already know my responce to that "Then get used to buying your clothes in the little boys section".

I LOVE IT when people tell me im doing something wrong or how to do something "Better" im like really .. "is that how u incorporate your spinal erectus with your barbell curls? i never knew that"

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    I LOVE IT when people tell me im doing something wrong or how to do something "Better" im like really .. "is that how u incorporate your spinal erectus with your barbell curls? i never knew that"
    The Swinging Barbell Curl! One of my favorites. I love watching guys with 100 pounds on a bar lifting....looks like some fun assed dance. The icing on the cake is if I'm doing arms that day and walk over and pump out 10-15 reps, elbows locked at my side and no upper body movement. Then trow the bar down and look at them and say "Yuo should try doing these on your knees....you want be able to use your back to make the lifts".

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Three people in my gym asked me if I would work legs with them because I'm like the only guy who actually works legs in the whole ****ed place. I agree and set it up were I'll lift with them on Thursday after work. First two sessions we spent doing a decent routine I've used but the main purpose was to get them all used doing the exercises and proper form. After the third week I inform them that we will now begine to really work legs and set out going through a full workout. All are doing well and doing proper lifts with perfect form.......some clown comes over and proceeds to inform the one guy, I was across the gym getting some lift staps and hear the tail end of his comment, that he wasn't lifting heavy enough. I was very polite but none the less I asked my boy to rack the weight and then asked the guy how much do you think he should be lifting. He said based on his weight, Otis tips the scales around 180, and he said he should be lifting double his weight. I then asked him how much he tipped the scales. He said maybe 198. I then load the bar with 400 and tell him to show me what he can do. He did two of the most half assed reps I've ever seen.....I'll bet he didn't drop more than 3 inches! I spent another fifteen minutes explaining to him he wasn't doing a ****ed thing and what he should be doing. Invited him back next week to do a workout with us........after the workout I thought I was going to have to carry him to his car. I told him I couldn't carry him and that if he couldn't walk he might have to crawl or roll out to the parking lot.

The following week I was doing step ups with 225 on a barbell.......he stopped coming after that day. hahahahahaha
    Thats the best thing I have heard in a while man.. nice to see you actually help the younger ones out usually your trying to take advantage of them .... on another note.. My squat rack is used for barbell curls!! that is all.. now the smith machine.. thats where the squats are at yeesh

Monsoon says is offline Associate Member
    Ahhh yes I see this almost everyday at my gym I just pay no attention to them because I know they'll never be at the point were am at.

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Thats the best thing I have heard in a while man.. nice to see you actually help the younger ones out usually your trying to take advantage of them .... on another note.. My squat rack is used for barbell curls!! that is all.. now the smith machine.. thats where the squats are at yeesh
    heeey, i do my squats on the smith machine!

Explosive215 is offline Associate Member
    Dont get pissed at people if they dont take your advice, cause that can get annoying when there are people who are smaller than me, telling me how to do lifts. I mean its ok to say something once, but interrupting me durring my workout like 5-6 times is enough. I hate when weak people tell me im lifting wrong, and act like they know everything. On the other hand if a monster of a guy tells me i should try something different i will take his advice, he is obviously doing something right

decadbal is offline Banned
    youd prolly get more accomplished if u worried about you, and not the rest of the world...hahaha

Monsoon says is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    youd prolly get more accomplished if u worried about you, and not the rest of the world...hahaha
    Decadbal is wise a man.

Explosive215 is offline Associate Member
    Right on!

Touche'. Good point, but sometimes you just can't overlook these things. Also I have given up on giving people helpful advice at my gym because when you do they all act like you think you are a weight lifting god or something. I have just reached the point where I say **** 'em and they can learn it themselves like I had to.

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member
    I think someone should make an official "morons at the gym" thread. Cuz it seems there's always someone seein some tard at the gym who doesn't know what the fukk they're doin...

Quote Originally Posted by PaRiS2005
    I think someone should make an official "morons at the gym" thread. Cuz it seems there's always someone seein some tard at the gym who doesn't know what the fukk they're doin...
    Isn't that the truth. Every gym is full of them. I would like to take a video camera into my gym one day and just record half the stupid **** I see.

Thread Information