Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cops

kman is offline Anabolic Member

Cops

Today, I was visiting an old friend, I was lost cause I have not been to his new house before. So I drove around the block looking for his place a couple of times, So apparently a neighbor called the police and said a suspicious car was driving around in circles. Cop pulls me over and says get out. 2 more cars came instantly and began to search the car. Gave him my license and registration and was very polite. They stripped the car, and after they were done said have a nice day. WTF...
    What do you do in a situation like this? The one cop said "in this town we like to put people who have tints on the car in the dirt face down, so consider myself lucky" I am so pissed right now.. I thought they had to have a search warrant to search the car? I did nothing wrong, and would love to see those punks without there badge... Got to go to the gym, to let out some anger.........

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What a bunch of sh*t.

I'd seriously file a formal complaint w/the police chief, or actually someone who OVERSEES everyone in that town/city, so that something can be done about it.

~SC~

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    dood track that cop down and try to get him to pull u over.. usually they will have u stop outta your vehicle and sit in their passenger seat.. (they do here anyways) have a couple open cans of tuna on ya keep one out in the open and the other kidna hidden if possible. keep the one in ur left hand next to him and in the open and try to drop the other down the right side under the seat. when u get out leave the one u had in ur left hand in the seat once u get out of it. He will call u back and have u come and remove that 1 can of tuna.. and hopefully that other will stay under the seat for a while

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    What a bunch of sh*t.

I'd seriously file a formal complaint w/the police chief, or actually someone who OVERSEES everyone in that town/city, so that something can be done about it.

~SC~
    Yep, I would say do the same but after you do file the complaint NEVER go to that town again. They will have it out for you.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I can see this preceeding at least one more cop-hating thread...Dude..Ignore Taiboxa....Swole's advice is sound

What a bunch of sh*t.

~SC~
    Was thinking about doing something like that. I mean it's not like I was some punk highschool kid with tints, pumping music real loud in a nice neighborhood. I mean I was lost. Even if I was, gives them no right to search a car for no reason.. Do you think filing something would be more of a hassle, cause right now I am just going to take it as a bad day..

xfade7 is offline Member
    yea definitely get intouch with a higher power.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    depends on the neiborhood and what you are driving

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I can see this preceeding at least one more cop-hating thread...Dude..Ignore Taiboxa....Swole's advice is sound
    And it begins.....

I hate cops......hahahaha (Not you Commando Barbi, you're my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by kman
    Was thinking about doing something like that. I mean it's not like I was some punk highschool kid with tints, pumping music real loud in a nice neighborhood. I mean I was lost. Even if I was, gives them no right to search a car for no reason.. Do you think filing something would be more of a hassle, cause right now I am just going to take it as a bad day..
    Searching a car for literally NO reason would have me VERY PISSED and I would indeed file a harrassment complaint against the police, yes. To have that much BACKUP as well is assinine.

~SC~

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    What a bunch of sh*t.

~SC~

No offense, but this will do little to nothing. Police will stand together against you no matter what. They may tell you what you want to hear....
    "That's crazy sir, we'll look into that for sure" ....and then call you a shmuck the second you leave. And if you do something like this, you **** sure better not run into these boys or anyone affiliated with them...

Either way, good luck. But my advise is to grin and bare it. There is a site designed for watching out for bad cops on the internet. It also teaches you how to do peaceful demonstrations against the police. If you would like it....PM me..

JC

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Today, I was visiting an old friend, I was lost cause I have not been to his new house before. So I drove around the block looking for his place a couple of times, So apparently a neighbor called the police and said a suspicious car was driving around in circles. Cop pulls me over and says get out. 2 more cars came instantly and began to search the car. Gave him my license and registration and was very polite. They stripped the car, and after they were done said have a nice day. WTF...
    What do you do in a situation like this? The one cop said "in this town we like to put people who have tints on the car in the dirt face down, so consider myself lucky" I am so pissed right now.. I thought they had to have a search warrant to search the car? I did nothing wrong, and would love to see those punks without there badge... Got to go to the gym, to let out some anger.........
    Yeah that sucks bro. Its a hassle getting pulled over for dumb shti like that. I would go ahead and take Swole's advise.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    depends on the neiborhood and what you are driving
    Thats what I thought it was. The neighborhood was decent, def. not a bad area, and yes I drive a nice car, and it is a nice day finally in NY, so I am was wearing shades, but that does not mean you can just tell someone to step out of the car. He could have asked me what I was doing and that would have been it, But now I am pissed, and filing a complaint is starting to sound good..

bottom line it just goes to show that cops can do whatever they want.

I'd file the complaint outside of the county. Even if "nothing" is done in all actuality, even bringing attention to them like this is something the schmucks never would expect. It's all about what you believe in, and this happened to me when I was 22 years old. They even trashed my car "looking for stuff".

All the while the real crack dealers still stand on the corner and drive right by the cops, and nothing is done.

~SC~!

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Searching a car for literally NO reason would have me VERY PISSED and I would indeed file a harrassment complaint against the police, yes. To have that much BACKUP as well is assinine.

~SC~
    SC, citizens have no constitutional right right to not be stopped by officers with excessive backup. the officer announces over the radio he is making a stop, and anyone in the area will swing by to see if he's OK. and if they see someone as big as you, or some of our other members, they will stick around. be real, you and many of our other members could easily overpower joe average cop. they're just being realistic and using good tactics.

if the stop and search was unlawful, then you have a legit complaint. but excessively tinted windows IS a violation in most jurisdictions. if they wanted to push it they could have justified a search by towing the car...that is an option if your car is illegally equipped.

i hear a lot of people complain about being stopped for no reason. the fact is, none of these people are mind readers, so none of them know why they were stopped, they're just engaging in speculation. the cops ARE allowed to stop you if anyone even vaguely matching your or your cars description committed a crime in that area. they would need a little more to justify the search. don't know enough the facts to comment further.

filing a complaint - you can't complain about the stop if your windows are tinted. with a legit stop, they're often allowed to do a "wingspan" search of your car, anyplace in the car you could reach for a weapon. thats basicly entire interior of your car.

the search still sounds a little iffy, and you could probably file a complaint about it and get someone reprimanded or suspended..but like the other (very wise) members said, don't do it if plan on going back to that town. especially in your illegaly tinted car.

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    I'd file the complaint outside of the county. Even if "nothing" is done in all actuality, even bringing attention to them like this is something the schmucks never would expect. It's all about what you believe in, and this happened to me when I was 22 years old. They even trashed my car "looking for stuff".

All the while the real crack dealers still stand on the corner and drive right by the cops, and nothing is done.

~SC~!

I agree with this to a point. I was being harassed by a local pig when I was 16. I asked the Chief to do something many times. He never did. So I sent my Dad in my car to town with me riding shot gun. What do ya know, cop seen us and pulled a U turn. He didn't even know what to say when he seen I wasn't driving and that an adult was there. With a witness, I then went to the State Police and eventually got an order that the one officer could not pull me over without witnessed back up and that he could not ticket me. I still got pulled over constantly though by other officers after this. So what to do???? I guess bend over and act like you like it.....J/K

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    smart move being polite and respectful - it's hard to do sometimes, but think about it - either

A - he is just a regular guy doing his job, in which case he deserves your respect. or

B - he is corrupt/brutal/biased, and mouthing off will only cause him to do something corrupt/brutal/biased against YOU.

neither case calls for verbal abuse

Quote Originally Posted by Max Rep
    SC, citizens have no constitutional right right to not be stopped by officers with excessive backup. the officer announces over the radio he is making a stop, and anyone in the area will swing by to see if he's OK. and if they see someone as big as you, or some of our other members, they will stick around. be real, you and many of our other members could easily overpower joe average cop. they're just being realistic and using good tactics.

if the stop and search was unlawful, then you have a legit complaint. but excessively tinted windows IS a violation in most jurisdictions. if they wanted to push it they could have justified a search by towing the car...that is an option if your car is illegally equipped.

i hear a lot of people complain about being stopped for no reason. the fact is, none of these people are mind readers, so none of them know why they were stopped, they're just engaging in speculation. the cops ARE allowed to stop you if anyone even vaguely matching your or your cars description committed a crime in that area. they would need a little more to justify the search. don't know enough the facts to comment further.

filing a complaint - you can't complain about the stop if your windows are tinted. with a legit stop, they're often allowed to do a "wingspan" search of your car, anyplace in the car you could reach for a weapon. thats basicly entire interior of your car.

the search still sounds a little iffy, and you could probably file a complaint about it and get someone reprimanded or suspended..but like the other (very wise) members said, don't do it if plan on going back to that town. especially in your illegaly tinted car.
    Great info, my tints are legal though. But I understand when they see a guy bigger than them, they get paranoid, if I was a cop and pulled SC over I would call the SWAT team in..lol.. but all they had to do was ask me what I was doing, check my registartion, and ID, but they messed up and thought they had something on me, so filing a complaint is what I am going to do.. You don't tell me you I am lucky my face is not in the dirt and get away with it. Although that is what will prob. happen... We shall see.
    Last edited by kman; 03-22-2005 at 12:55 PM.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    You can refuse to let them search your car, just like you can refuse a breathalizer or a search of your home. But if you refuse, then it creates a justifiable reason for them to arrest you, impound your car, get a warrant, and tear it the fuk apart.

I was pulled over once and had my car searched for no apparent reason (I was 17) they tore my car to sh*t and just left it like that. I was like WTF! Put my sh*t back together. What can you do though? You can file a complaint, hell you can sue them, but I doubt it would get you much, except for a place on the front page and being added to the sh*t list. At least as it stands they searched you, you were clean, so you are "ok" in their book. Push it and that may change.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Great info, my tints are legal though. But I understand when they see a guy bigger than them, they get paranoid, if I was a cop and pulled SC over I would call the SWAT team in..lol.. but all they had to do was ask me what I was doing, check my registartion, and ID, but they messed up and thought they had something on me, so filing a complaint is what I am going to do.. You don't tell me you I am lucky my face is not in the dirt and get away with it. Although that is what will prob. happen... We shall see.

if the facts are as you described, they deserve a complaint in their file.

did they write you a ticket? or give you an oral waring and tell you why they stopped you?n

if there is info about a suspicious person/vehicle matching your description, they're pretty covered, but otherwise they're going to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Rep
    if the facts are as you described, they deserve a complaint in their file.

did they write you a ticket? or give you an oral waring and tell you why they stopped you?n

if there is info about a suspicious person/vehicle matching your description, they're pretty covered, but otherwise they're going to eat it.
    In terms of right and wrong I agree with what you guys are saying. However, in regard to the "real world", at the end of the day it's his word against theirs and you will never win in that case unless you have audio or video to back you up.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Theres a lot of lawyers here I never knew about........

Quote Originally Posted by Hed
    Theres a lot of lawyers here I never knew about........
    Nah, just know-it-all's bro.

max-it is offline Member
    What a bunch of sh*t.

~SC~
    swole is right on this one, about all you can do is file a formal complaint. do it bro, it can make a difference in some localities.

From LegalLine.com

791 How to make a complaint against a police officer (s)
    If you have a complaint against a police officer, there are several things you can do, including starting a civil lawsuit against the officer, laying a criminal charge, filing a complaint with the Police Complaints Commissioner, filing a complaint with the Public Complaints Investigation Bureau, and filing a complaint with the local police station or the Ontario Provincial Police office.

Lawsuit

First, suing a police officer in a civil lawsuit generally involves preparing for a trial and going to court. If you are able to prove your complaint against the officer, the judge may order the officer to pay damages for the injuries you suffered. In most cases, it will be difficult to prove your complaint, and your chances of success will be minimal. In addition, it will be time consuming and very expensive to cover the costs of a formal trial. However, if you decide to pursue this method, make sure you start a civil action against the police officer within six months from when the event happened. For more information about starting a civil lawsuit, refer to other sections of Legal Line or consult a lawyer.

Laying a criminal charge

Second, if you believe a police officer has committed a criminal offence, you can lay a criminal charge against the officer. To lay a criminal charge, you need to meet with a Justice of the Peace, and swear on oath that a crime has been committed and explain the details of the event in question. Depending on the criminal offence in question, you may have a time limit for when charges can be laid. You should consult a lawyer for assistance.

Sta11ion is offline Member
    " I know and you know that this is bull****" They want to pull you over they will, with or without a reason.

decadbal is offline Banned
    it always sucks when innocent ppl get the crappy end, but alot of real criminals have been caught that way, you cant have it both ways, you live in a safe neighborhood bc of police, not bc anyone is scared of half the bullshiit some of the "badazzes" here run off at the mouth about. cops are dicks, bc most of the ppl are dicks (now dont assume bc im defending them, that im happy with the rights, and mostly abused powers they have, bc i dont) im just sick of seeing this same stupid shiit on here, there are alot of ppl who everyone hates, this is kickin a dead horse and someone with some authority should put a stop to threads like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    it always sucks when innocent ppl get the crappy end, but alot of real criminals have been caught that way, you cant have it both ways, you live in a safe neighborhood bc of police, not bc anyone is scared of half the bullshiit some of the "badazzes" here run off at the mouth about. cops are dicks, bc most of the ppl are dicks (now dont assume bc im defending them, that im happy with the rights, and mostly abused powers they have, bc i dont) im just sick of seeing this same stupid shiit on here, there are alot of ppl who everyone hates, this is kickin a dead horse and someone with some authority should put a stop to threads like this.
    That's a reasonable perspective to put on things. I agree

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Have a lawyer contact the mayor and ask for a settlement from the city before it has to go to civil court. Most times they will pay and your lawyer for a letter and a few phone calls will get 1/3 of the pay minus attorneys fees if you get paid.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Sta11ion
    " I know and you know that this is bull****" They want to pull you over they will, with or without a reason.

i was describing a point of law, under Terry vs. Ohio. i stated what they are allowed to do under the law. that is not bull****.

as far as motor vehicle stops, there is usually no reason for them to make up a reason to stop someone. most states have THOUSANDS of different motor vehicle laws, and chances are you are in violation of at least one of them on any given day. this lets them pull over just about anybody.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    One time I went thru the drive thru at McDonalds and the dude forget my fries...............I fvkking hate drive thru dudes they suck! They are all azzhole fry stealing thieves!

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    btw well put Deca , are you feeling well? That was an excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    Have a lawyer contact the mayor and ask for a settlement from the city before it has to go to civil court. Most times they will pay and your lawyer for a letter and a few phone calls will get 1/3 of the pay minus attorneys fees if you get paid.
    Yeah, if we are lucky, maybe they will even raise taxes more to help pay for sh*t like that...

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    most of the time they don't pay, because most complainants don't have a strong case.

how much money do you think you could get out of this? what are your damages? 15 minutes of your time? good luck getting an attorney to take this case, because the money would probably not be worth his time, even if it was a winner.

"your word against his" - you are correct, this probably won't meet the standard of proof for a court of law.

thats why people were suggesting an Internal Affairs complaint. it will make the guy miserable, and document that he has issues. these really do make a difference. even if he is not officially punished, they can give him a "reputation" and end up with him being transferred to a desk job.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal

some good points, but i like this thread, i think it is a reasonable and educatonal debate. and remember, we only have one side of the story. the whole story is sometimes a little different. not disrespecting Kman, but thats just the way life is. and under Terry vs. Ohio they only need the lowest level of suspicion, information you would know nothing about, to justify stopping you and searching you like that

9000rpm is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    dood track that cop down and try to get him to pull u over.. usually they will have u stop outta your vehicle and sit in their passenger seat.. (they do here anyways) have a couple open cans of tuna on ya keep one out in the open and the other kidna hidden if possible. keep the one in ur left hand next to him and in the open and try to drop the other down the right side under the seat. when u get out leave the one u had in ur left hand in the seat once u get out of it. He will call u back and have u come and remove that 1 can of tuna.. and hopefully that other will stay under the seat for a while
    I just read your post like 6 times in a row, and I'm still confused.

Are you saying to drop a can of tuna under the cops seat? Why?

Or are you saying to drop a can of open tuna under his seat? If so, how do you plan on opening that can of tuna while sitting right next to him and not have him notice you wrenching away with a can opener.

I'm completely confused by your post.

decadbal is offline Banned
    most big dept. dont use the same cars... you switch them..

9000rpm is offline Member
    Yeah, here in Dallas, there are literally hundreds of cars that always get assigned that day to whatever cop is on duty.

icewind is offline Associate Member
    That sucks !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information