Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member

Why Women Shouldn't Drive SUV's or drive while on Cell Phones

Woman takes plunge off bridge, survives

Sunday, March 27, 2005
    By KELLY ADAMS, Columbian staff writer

A 31-year-old Vancouver woman survived an estimated 60-foot plunge off Portland's Morrison Bridge in a sport utility vehicle Saturday afternoon.

Melisa A. Borgaard was driving an Isuzu Rodeo west on the span at about 1 p.m. when "she started slipping on the metal grates of the bridge," said Scott McLellan, a deputy with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office River Patrol. Officer Greg Pashley with the Portland Police Bureau said Borgaard reported she was on a hands-free cell phone, talking with relatives, at the time of the crash.

She plowed through the guardrail near the west bank of the Willamette River and careened off the bridge.

"The next thing she knew she was in the water," McLellan said.

Borgaard managed to get out of the vehicle as it sank to the river bottom, unbuckling her seat belt and swimming to the surface. A rescue diver helped Borgaard to the shore.

A man walking under the Morrison Bridge told KGW-TV that the accident sounded like an earthquake.

"When the car went underwater, I mean, it sank immediately," said the witness, who did not provide his name. "It was completely quiet for almost a whole minute, so we inevitably thought the worst. Then, all of a sudden, she popped up on her back and she just stayed there."

Diver Rich Tyler was soon lowered into the water, where he was able to get Borgaard to a rescue boat.

"She was lying face-up in the water; she'd look up at me as I was swimming out there," Tyler said. "Once I got there, she was very disoriented, didn't quite know what had happened."

McLellan said that if Borgaard had not been wearing a seat belt, the impact with the river could have knocked her unconscious. It was not known how Borgaard got herself out of the SUV.

Borgaard appeared to be suffering from hypothermia as well as cuts to her face and hands. She was taken to OHSU Hospital. Her condition was not available.

"She was pretty shook up," McLellan said.

Lt. Mike Shults with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said a combination of factors led to a successful rescue. One was that both the city of Portland and Multnomah County river patrol units were less than a mile away.

Lt. Don Beahm, who has worked for Portland Fire and Rescue for 27 years, said this is the first time he can remember a vehicle falling off a city bridge.

"That is a very big fall inside an automobile into a very cold bunch of water," he said. "I think she was very lucky."

Explosive215 is offline Associate Member
    What as stupid biatch. That pisses me off because i cant count the times I have almost been taken out by some chick driving and talking on her cell. They need to make drivers tests harder!!!!

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosive215
    They need to make drivers tests harder!!!!
    Or more sexist.

Explosive215 is offline Associate Member
    yea thats what i really wanted to say

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I hate when you see some short ass b*tch driving a HUUUUUUUUUGE SUV.

One of those dumbasses backed up into my Mom because she couldn't see.

WHY DRIVE THE F*CKER THEN?????

Ugh.

~SC~

swoll4589 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I hate when you see some short ass b*tch driving a HUUUUUUUUUGE SUV.

One of those dumbasses backed up into my Mom because she couldn't see.

WHY DRIVE THE F*CKER THEN?????

Ugh.

~SC~

I bet you really hate it when you see some short ass b!tch driving a nicer SUV than yours lol

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I don't have an SUV, and with gas prices as they are, thank goodness.

Besides, both of my cars are pimped out waaaaaaaaaaaay more than the average SUV, so I'm all good.

~SC~

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah there can be some stupid ones out there. In the local news a few months back this chick killed two kids running a red light while on her cell phone. They charged her manslaughter.

xfade7 is offline Member
    oh god.. when will our country learn that the majority of fobs and women cant drive....

bigcut77 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xfade7
    oh god.. when will our country learn that the majority of fobs and women cant drive....
    What are fobs? Or do I want to know.

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    i think women need higher insurance rates then men, statistics lie, women drivers are the worse (no offense) but they come flying up on my ass going 80, tail gate me, then finally pass cause they cant stand being behind some1 else...... or they r putting make up on as they r driving...... GAH dont get me started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why Women Shouldn't Drive SUV's or drive while on Cell Phones-womandriver.jpg  

bigcut77 is offline Associate Member
    That pic is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    haha yea it is pretty funny

Thread Information