hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member

tippman paintball guns

sup guys, question for they peeps that know their **** when it comes to paintball guns. i am deciding between an a-5 with the cyclone feeder or just the 98 custom. the custom is cheaper but there are more parts and add ons available. any suggestions??

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    i always liked the spyders,
    but is this your 1st gun that tipman 98 has been around for a long time , so they must have done something right with it
    and yes there a alot of after market parts for it.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I've got 3 tipman 98 customs that me and my boys use and I have never had a problem with them.

LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    Tippmans are the shiat.

I have a 98 custom, badass gun I love it. I have heard that the A-5's are even better though and worth the money. The custom won't let you down though that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LB55blitz
    Tippmans are the shiat.

I have a 98 custom, badass gun I love it. I have heard that the A-5's are even better though and worth the money. The custom won't let you down though that's for sure.

hell yeah i am not trying to spend a fortune. the a5 are like 240$ and the custom 98 is like 115-130$

Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    I've got 3 tipman 98 customs that me and my boys use and I have never had a problem with them.

how accurate are the 98 customs?

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo

Pretty **** good from the factory, although the paintball itself has more to do with accuracy than a stock gun.

I have three 98 customs, all stock, and they work great.

Not bad at all, we play in the woods, so we don't end up with extremely long shots

You can purchase different barrels, if you really need to reach out and touch someone....

Not bad at all, we play in the woods, so we don't end up with extremely long shots

You can purchase different barrels, if you really need to reach out and touch someone....

yeah i do, we have some abandoned houses, barn and stables. also woods. some open fields.. i will def buy a sniper barrel for it also what balls are the most accurate?

yeah i do, we have some abandoned houses, barn and stables. also woods. some open fields.. i will def buy a sniper barrel for it also what balls are the most accurate?

Not sure about that, my cousin runs a small Paint Ball supply store, so I buy what ever he has at the best price.

My two boys more paint the terrain than actually play paint ball.

Not sure about that, my cousin runs a small Paint Ball supply store, so I buy what ever he has at the best price.

My two boys more paint the terrain than actually play paint ball.
    yeah the wal mart balls come in handy

swoll4589 is offline Member
    IMO i wouldnt buy an A-5. If you want a real good gun look into a autococker or something.

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    i got a tipman 98 , flatline , response trigger, m4 stock great gun

Quote Originally Posted by BARLOW
    i got a tipman 98 , flatline , response trigger, m4 stock great gun
    does that flatline barrel make that big of a difference?

if your staying on a budget get the 98, the add ons are fairly cheap, I havent looked at them lately (a year or two) but if they havent changed anything, then they are a good recreational gun, I use to have a few of them so that people who wanted to play in the backyard didnt try to use my angel.

Alex

does that flatline barrel make that big of a difference?

I always thought they were gay, but..

I have seen a couple curve around bunkers and hit someone with those barrels

Alex

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    they put backspin on the ball so they shoot out straight, its like a shotgun lol.
    i like it cause it adds some extra distance on my ball, i got a gilly suit and everything, i snipa barlow.

Quote Originally Posted by BARLOW
    they put backspin on the ball so they shoot out straight, its like a shotgun lol.
    i like it cause it adds some extra distance on my ball, i got a gilly suit and everything, i snipa barlow.

its basically just a banana shaped barrel, and yes they can add distance, but unless you do that gay, sit in some camo, hide in the woods stuff then I dont see it helping. Because most tourney fields are short enough, I mean its paintball, the fun is when your close to each other.

Alex

xfade7 is offline Member
    yea man i got a 98 custom, great gun.. never had any problems.. i dont really go very often tho, so i might just sell it.

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    The flatline barrel is cool, but it is easy to avoid the paint. I played tourney ball a few years ago before I really got into bodybuilding (and before i got big and slow). I owned a 98 w/ flatline, and also a complete custom autococker built from the ground up. The 98 is a great gun, but when shooting the flatline long ranges the ball seems to hover and "floats" to it's target. Any player that sees where your paint is coming from can follow the ball all the way across the field and just move out of the way when it gets real close. So the flatline is cool to have when playing outlaw games or sniping on huge forested areas, but when playing competitive/serious paintball (or speedball) you will probably end up taking it off. You want distance + great accuracy? get an autococker

Tags is offline Associate Member
    I have a tippman 98 custom myself with only 2 mods...

Double trigger

14" dye excel barrel

I love the tippman, a 12-14" barrel for 50-100bux will definately improve your range... Also the new barrel helps on the incredibly loud noise it makes compared to other guns...

I just recently bought an ak47 tm... I'm getting into airsoft, find it more fun/satisfying than paintball...

Quote Originally Posted by tonytone36
    The flatline barrel is cool, but it is easy to avoid the paint. I played tourney ball a few years ago before I really got into bodybuilding (and before i got big and slow). I owned a 98 w/ flatline, and also a complete custom autococker built from the ground up. The 98 is a great gun, but when shooting the flatline long ranges the ball seems to hover and "floats" to it's target. Any player that sees where your paint is coming from can follow the ball all the way across the field and just move out of the way when it gets real close. So the flatline is cool to have when playing outlaw games or sniping on huge forested areas, but when playing competitive/serious paintball (or speedball) you will probably end up taking it off. You want distance + great accuracy? get an autococker

same old argument, another sad day I guess right?

but I have owned a few cockers before, and angels, mags, shockers, and just about any gun from the spyder/tipp 98 to Cobra LCD (unless its been released within the last year or so). And I can honestly say that I finally came around, and decided no gun shoots farther then another gun at the same velocity (sp). Some guns might shoot flatter (cocker) or crisper (angel, mag) annd some might say they shoot farther. So then the question "why spend so much if it doesnt shoot farther, or much faster" , but thats simple...... reliablilty, and easier to clean after a chop or whatnot.

but thats just my viewpoint I guess
    Alex

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    i have a procarbine ...thing just wont die ...i have been in swamps, mud, leafes, sand, snow ....i take good cair of the thing ..its very quiet accurate and i added on a j&j ceramic barrel and red dot sight ...i love tippmanns

wow!!! Looks like theyve def dropped in price from when we used to play. I think that 98 was well over 200 bucks if I can recall

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDeity
    i always liked the spyders,
    but is this your 1st gun that tipman 98 has been around for a long time , so they must have done something right with it
    and yes there a alot of after market parts for it.

spyders?

i had 3 of those and i've never had more problems with anything in my life... at least once a game i'd get a ball jammed in the hammer and hafta dissasemble the gun during the game while hiding, squeegy it and clean it out... sucked too...

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Havent played in ages, do they still make shockers/cockers and angels?

Vito_Gatti is offline Associate Member
    Take it from someone who owns an A-5, GO WITH THE 98 CUSTOM!!! I hate the ****in A-5, I don't even have it right now, it's in the paintball shop gettin fixed.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    That A5 cyclone feed system looks pretty sweet, but I recently saw a new magazine type pod I guess you could call it. I cant remember the name but it looks like one of those regular tubes that hold 200 balls but it has a spring and spiral mechanism inside. You turn it so many clicks and load the balls then when you pop it in the hole for it on the gun it feeds em into the chamber via a tube like on a warp feed. Its all spring powered and no batteries required and you can mount it anywhere. Id get one if I played more often.

I have a 98, an old one and it still works like new, its beat to hell too. It will last a long time either way you go, tippmann makes a good gun.

looks like 98 custom it is.. i played with a friend's spyder that has the electrical switch on it that makes it fully auto.. YOU SPRAY AND PRAY!! that **** was fun.. lay down some cover fire for your boys so they can move up hahahaha.. i like em

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasAlex
    same old argument, another sad day I guess right?

but I have owned a few cockers before, and angels, mags, shockers, and just about any gun from the spyder/tipp 98 to Cobra LCD (unless its been released within the last year or so). And I can honestly say that I finally came around, and decided no gun shoots farther then another gun at the same velocity (sp). Some guns might shoot flatter (cocker) or crisper (angel, mag) annd some might say they shoot farther. So then the question "why spend so much if it doesnt shoot farther, or much faster" , but thats simple...... reliablilty, and easier to clean after a chop or whatnot.

but thats just my viewpoint I guess
    Alex

true, reliability is key. my cocker was about as low pressure as you could get at the time. i think cockers give the illusion of shooting farther because they are much more accurate at longer ranges. sure, you can shoot a spyder the same distance as most cockers, but with the spyder you will have to shoot a lot more to hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytone36
    true, reliability is key. my cocker was about as low pressure as you could get at the time. i think cockers give the illusion of shooting farther because they are much more accurate at longer ranges. sure, you can shoot a spyder the same distance as most cockers, but with the spyder you will have to shoot a lot more to hit the target.
    the cockers are too expensive for me. ill go with the 98 tippman custom and go from there.

well the tippmann is a great gun. i would only invest in a cocker if you want to play some tourney ball. on my old 98 i had the flatline, and then a "bigshot" barrel (i believe that was the name) for shooting cheaper balls that are usually slightly larger in size. I also had a 14" smart parts all american
    that i used when shooting higher quality paint. all this talk makes me want to head to the field and play

the cockers are too expensive for me. ill go with the 98 tippman custom and go from there.

Tags is offline Associate Member
    All you bro's should get into airsoft, you'll thank me for it later...

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    Tippman is a solid paintball gun you can't go wrong. I have a lapco grey ghost, which isn't made anymore and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tags
    I have a tippman 98 custom myself with only 2 mods...

Double trigger

14" dye excel barrel

I love the tippman, a 12-14" barrel for 50-100bux will definately improve your range... Also the new barrel helps on the incredibly loud noise it makes compared to other guns...

I just recently bought an ak47 tm... I'm getting into airsoft, find it more fun/satisfying than paintball...

I use the exact same rig. I love it and I've whipped on some of my bros using the flatline. I also play with a few guys that use the spyders...I've killed them soo many times because they're on their knees f*ckin with something that went wrong with it. Custom 98 is the most reliable and with the options, I think it's pretty much the best bet. Beginer or advanced, good set up.

Thread Information