Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Fingers Point to Male Aggression

Fri Mar 25,11:47 PM ET

FRIDAY, March 25 (HealthDay News) -- Canadian researchers say they've found a way to help 'finger' men with physically aggressive personalities.

A University of Alberta study finds that measuring a man's index finger length relative to his ring finger length predicts his predisposition to being physically aggressive.

The shorter the index finger relative to the ring finger, the higher the amount of prenatal testosterone and the more likely the man will be physically aggressive, they researchers say.

In a prepared statement, study co-author Dr. Peter Hurd admitted he initially thought the finger-aggression link was "a pile of hooey," until he reviewed the data.

According to the researchers, experts have known for a hundred years that the index-to-ring finger length ratio of men differs considerably from that seen in women. And more recently, research has suggested that the length of men's fingers changes depending on their exposure to testosterone in the womb.

Now, finger length and physical aggression seem to be linked as well, at least in men. The Alberta team found no such link in women.

"More than anything, I think the findings reinforce and underlie that a large part of our personalities and our traits are determined while we're still in the womb," Hurd said.

The study, reported in the March issue of Biological Psychology, found no correlation between finger lengths and non-physical forms of aggression, such as verbal aggression or angry or hostile behavior. Hurd said he is continuing his research on physical aggression, however, by comparing hockey players' finger lengths to the number of penalty minutes they rack up in a given season.

In another study, to be published later this year, Hurd found that men with more "feminine" finger ratios tended to be more prone to depression.

He stressed that "finger lengths explain about 5 percent of the variation in these personality measures, so research like this won't allow you to draw conclusions about specific people. For example, you wouldn't want to screen people for certain jobs based on their finger lengths."

"But finger length can tell you a little bit about where personality comes from, and that's what we are continuing to explore," he said.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Wow, mine is about a half inch shorter, i just measured when i read this lol. Where was this from?

xfade7 is offline Member
    hmmm interesting.. ill see how my friends fingers are now.

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    My ring finger is a little longer!!! What the h*ll.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, mine are about even. Index finger is little longer though.

Guess that explains my medium temperament.

Long fuse, but big bang

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I have no index fingers, this explains many things...................

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh

im a natural born killerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

arrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    the difference in length changes dramatically depending how you hold your hand (palm facing you or facing outwards)
    According to that i should be agressive, but im actually quite a mellow individual. I think it should be the index finger compared to the schlong. I think youll find all the irritable guys are the ones who's index finger is longer

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    the difference in length changes dramatically depending how you hold your hand (palm facing you or facing outwards)
    According to that i should be agressive, but im actually quite a mellow individual. I think it should be the index finger compared to the schlong. I think youll find all the irritable guys are the ones who's index finger is longer
    Very good point. I do notice a difference when I flip my hand.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    mine are just about .5 inches shorter. But I'm a laid back dude.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    The study didn't give an example of the ratio for an aggressive test subject.

Your index finger is shorter than your ring finger you say? Congratulations, that makes you a human.....idiots. LOL

BodyMechanic is offline Senior Member
    Mine are almost even, and i do have a bad temper.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    that same study was mentioned saying that men with the same finger lenght were gay and a corelation between testosterone and the height of their fingers.

my fingers tell me im a super aggresive, im a ****ing teddy bear that love to bite and tear people apart once in a moon while

Thread Information