wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member

Leaving to Marine Corp Boot Camp InJune

I was wondering how I should train for this like how much I should run how many pull-ups I should be doing and how many sit-ups to I want to graduate first out of my whole group and was hondering how I should train thanks for all the help

I would post this in the training section but no ones ever there

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hey now I'm there all the time!!! lol First off how much running are you already doing? Haven't your recruiters given you a program to follow? Mine did when I joined the service. Anyway, I'm not sure about the Marines, I was in the Navy. Pull-ups shoot for 10-20 non-stop, if you can do that you'll be ready. Also, push-ups, aim for 100 in 2 minutes or less, sit-ups 100 in 2 minutes or less. All that's without stopping, like you can't do 30 push-ups ,stop rest and do 60 more.... once your chest hits the floor it's over. Samething with the sit-ups and pull-ups. As for the running aim for 5 miles. I'd do distance on mon. and fri. and sprints on wed. Start off with 2 miles, than the next week go for 3 and so on until you can run 5 miles. In the marines you'll be marching alot farther than that. I have heard some friends talk about 2-5 miles before. I know they'll test you in the 1 1/2 mile. Good luck to ya, you future "jarhead"!

Colibri is offline Banned
    From my experience in the UK training:

Pullups - 6
    Pushups - 60
    Sit Ups - 80

Do the 3 mile run and get a decent time in the obstacle course and you're in.

Colibri is offline Banned
    Also, it's extremely strict form with these, with push ups you're chest has to touch the ground or the instructor will deduct around 3 or more from your ammount.

This is the UK though, the American Seals are the equivilent to UK Marines so it'll probably be altered some-what.

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Good luck to you Bro.!You have my respect!!!

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Wrstlr..

Congrats on your decision!! It will change your life!!

I did 6 years in the Corps before going on to school, then Med school..blah..blah..blah..It changed my life and gave me the discipline and attitude to succeed in lfe.

I am assuming you will be going to MCRD San Diego since you are already out there. June is a tough time to be at Boot because of the heat and high demads you are under. I was there over Thanksgiving and Christmas so the weather was much cooler, but you'll make it all the same.

If you are juicing, stop immediately!! You will get run through the interrogation room when you get there at the "Moment of Truth". You don't need to have a guilty conscience..Believe me!! Your recruiters should brief you on this process.

The things I would concentrate on are your running and cardiovascular fitness. You should also make sure your upperbody is strong and healthy. 20 pullups total and 80 situps in two minutes used to be the standard. I'm sure it still is. You will want to max out these scores to be at the top of your class. The PFT is worth 300 points and there will be many in your series that will score this. In order to graduate at the "top" of your class, or what is known as "company honorman" you will need to excel in everything to include; rifle score, physical fitness scores, classroom scores, and recommendations from your drill instructors. It is very competitive so be prepared.

The one and most important thing I would suggest is make sure you are going for YOU and no one else. You have to be totally committed or you likely will not make it. My nephew lives with me and my wife and he is leaving for boot in August to MCRD SD and this is what I stress to him the most. Mental toughness can be the deciding factor.

One last note. Don't let the possibilty of war scare you. It is always possible in this world today. I, like you, was a young man who after a short year in the corps was over in Operation Desert Storm. Yes, I was scared, but I made it home as you will and there will never be a greater pride than serving your country!! I wasn't even more proud when I graduated from med scholl than I was when I graduated from bootcamp. Good Luck!

Doc M

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me anytime.

Big Rhino is offline Junior Member
    Good advice Doc,wrstlr69 take doc's advice. Boot camp is not a fun place to be but all you have to do is think anywhere you go you will get respect (except from the squids and army pukes, don't even worry about any other branches they don't or should I say can't hold a candle to us)pretty much anywhere you go and you will become a member of an elite fraternity, not many people can cut the corp but it's not that hard, mind over matter ( I thought). Don't get me wrong it is tough but we'll worth it. Just keep your head in the game and as for physical training, run, if you don't then start and upper body strength is also important. Ask your recruiter what the P.F.T. consists of. When I was in it was 80 situps in 2min. 20 pullups and 3mile run under 27mins. If you have any ? don't heitate to p.m. me anytime.

Semper Fi,
    RHINO
    Last edited by Big Rhino; 03-08-2003 at 09:36 AM.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    hey wrstlr SEMPER FI. I was in F.A.S.T. Co. Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team in Norfolk. For Boot Camp You need to Run Under 18 min for 3 miles, 20 pullups with no kips (swinging you legs for momentum) and 100 crunches. USMC boot camp will be no sweat if you can do that. The first two weeks are the hardest. Just get through that and you're good-to-go.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Come on ya'll, let's not start bashing other branches......or you'll have a 240 lb ex-seal on yo' azz! LOL

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Cali..When were you with FAST?

calidude is offline Senior Member
    '98

Umberto is offline Junior Member
    no, no, no 20 pullups, 100 crunches, 18:00 minute 3 mile represent a perfect 300 pnt. score. This is the best you can get

Pullups are 5 pnts a piece
    crunches are 1 pnt. a piece
    18:00 minutes are 100 pnts. with -6 points for each mile after

Bootcamp requires around a 135 PFT
    OCS requires at least a 225 PFT with most candidates around 250 PFT

good luck, oorah!, and semper fi!

Umberto is offline Junior Member
    BTW calidude
    Do most FAST guys come from Recon?
    Can officers join FAST?

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    mama mama can you see?
    What the corp has done for me?
    Put me up in a barber's chair, snap snap I had no hair!

zzzzzzzz

I'm with british marines BPT, but heres my input
    Just remember to do at least one run every two weeks in boots (no more that once a week) maybe 2 miles, so the marches aren't such a shock and a lil insider info wear thin nylon socks under ur boot socks, will cut down blisters by 90% (and for the love of god only nylon, not cotton)

Any1 know a cpl Lowndry from US Marines recon?

Thread Information