spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

how old is grandma

How old is Grandma?
    Anyone that can read should read this one!
    Stay with this -- the answer is at the end -- it will blow you away.

One evening, a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. The grandson aske d his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

There were no credit cards, laser beams or ballpoint pens. Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man had yet to walk on the moon.

Your Grandfather and I got married first and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother. Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, "Sir"- - and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir".

We were before gay-rights, computer dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy. The Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense governed our lives

We were taught to know the d ifference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent. Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started. Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends - not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewr iters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam. Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5&10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
    And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail one letter and two postcards. You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, but who could afford one? Too bad because, gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day, "grass" was mowed, "coke" was a cold drink, "pot" was something your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office, "chip" meant a piece of wood, "hardware" was found in a hardw are store and software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

And how old do you think grandma is???

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time. This is something to think about. How time has changed.

Grandma is 58
    (born 1946)

How could so much go wrong in such a short time?
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    Amen....

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    That crazy.

I had a conversation with one of my neighbors who served in the Pacific during WWII. He told me how when he was growing up if you saw a car every few months that was alot and he remembers how people would get excited when they would see a plane flying over head. He told me about his experiences in the war and how things used to be. Its something I will never forget.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Good post

soontoberipped is offline Associate Member
    I thought Grandma would have been old as hell. I wonder how much of a shock it would be to us to go back and try to live like that.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    that stuff brings back alot of memories u kids r too crazy
    jk
    they didnt have sugar and corn syrup in every f*** thing

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Every generation has its ups and downs, we are worse in some things but better in others.........

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    thought-provoking

Grandma must have been raised in the backwoods of the most backward part of the country. A lot of this is nonsense. BBC began regular TV transmissions in 1930. Penicillin was discovered in 1928 and produced commercially in 1943 in time to treat soldiers wounded on D-Day.

The first quick-frozen frozen veggies, fruits, seafood, and meat were sold to the public in 1930 under the trade name Birds Eye Frosted Foods. Credit cards were introduced by oil companies and hotel chains in the 1920s. The first air conditioner was built in 1902 and theaters began to be air-conditioned in 1917. Even Congress was air conditioned before WW II. The first practical dishwasher was invented in 1886 and was used in restaurants in the 1890s (most people didn't start buying them until after 1950, though).

The first rotating, tumbling type of clothes dryer was invented in 1799 by a Frenchman. As for dual careers... A lot of women babysat several children for working parents all day; they just weren't called day-care centers. We've had draft dodgers ever since there have been wars (don't forget the Draft Riot in NY in 1863; Congress legalized draft dodging in the Civil War by letting you pay $300 for someone to go in your place, which hardly anyone could afford). Making out was a phrase. FM (frequency modulation) radio was invented in 1933 and there were at least 50 FM stations on the air by 1941. In 1946, the year of backward grandma's birth, IBM began marketing its electric Executive Typewriter.

Um, not to kill your thread or anything....

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    I thought grandma would have been older as well. :spudniklu

righton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star
    Grandma must have been raised in the backwoods of the most backward part of the country. A lot of this is nonsense. BBC began regular TV transmissions in 1930. Penicillin was discovered in 1928 and produced commercially in 1943 in time to treat soldiers wounded on D-Day.

The first quick-frozen frozen veggies, fruits, seafood, and meat were sold to the public in 1930 under the trade name Birds Eye Frosted Foods. Credit cards were introduced by oil companies and hotel chains in the 1920s. The first air conditioner was built in 1902 and theaters began to be air-conditioned in 1917. Even Congress was air conditioned before WW II. The first practical dishwasher was invented in 1886 and was used in restaurants in the 1890s (most people didn't start buying them until after 1950, though).

The first rotating, tumbling type of clothes dryer was invented in 1799 by a Frenchman. As for dual careers... A lot of women babysat several children for working parents all day; they just weren't called day-care centers. We've had draft dodgers ever since there have been wars (don't forget the Draft Riot in NY in 1863; Congress legalized draft dodging in the Civil War by letting you pay $300 for someone to go in your place, which hardly anyone could afford). Making out was a phrase. FM (frequency modulation) radio was invented in 1933 and there were at least 50 FM stations on the air by 1941. In 1946, the year of backward grandma's birth, IBM began marketing its electric Executive Typewriter.

Dam....you beat me to it! lol

righton is offline Senior Member
    Phoyocopying and fax's were invented in early 1900's also.

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star

Wow u really called him out. I knew the penicillen and the frozen food didn't add up but the rest is all yours.

Thread Information