Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired

dog questions (seriously) please help me out

I have a 3y/o pitt/rott mix. She is a very sweet dog and minds me very well. She is very protective though, anyone that comes in my room or if somone knocks at the door, she barks or growls. Shes never bit anyone before though.

Well, currently my living arrangements suck due to financial reasons. So im with my grandparents right now. Well they have a poodle/lapso mix and a full lapso.

my dog has always gotten along great with them, they used to play and stuff together. in the past 6mo though that has changed. the lapso is about 1.5 y/o has became a real bitch. she growls at lots of people and will bite the other poodle mix. basically, shows alot of dominance. my dog, had enough and has fought with her in the past. shes never really hurt her, but has drawn blood before.

so basically, weve just kept them seperated. thats been ok..untill today

i was in the other room, and forgot to shut the door and my dog went out. she went in the family room and my grandpa was sitting in a chair with the lapso. she growled at my dog so she went for her. well my grandpa stuck his arm at to block her and instead my dog bit him. there are a good 6 holes in his arm. she bit pretty hard, but then also let go right after. i dont know if she did it purposely, or was just going nuts trying to get the lapso. shes never bit or growled at him before.

so im kinda ****ed. i cant get rid of her, but i have to stop this. she is sitting right next to me with a muzzle on for now, but i know thats not a permanent solution.

im working on buying a house, so that will eliminate this problem, but maybe not the problem itself. i dont want anything like this coming close to happening again.

whats the best thing to do

there is a world known police dog traininer near me that trains dogs. hes gone overseas to iraq to train as well. he trains alot of the k-9 for indiana.

think i should goto his obiendience class. i mean, would that help something like this? she minds fine to me, its just that she goes after that dog and bites her, and now she bit a person from.

any tips would be appreciated. im pretty up set at the moment about it..i dont know what to do and she is like my child.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Dunno Billy

@3years old..she may be too old for obedience school.

It's worth a try tho...talk to a trainer in your area

would spading help?

or do they have like dog dope or something to calm em down?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    sedating her isn't a long-term solution.. i think dealing with the prob means dealing with your grandparents' laspo

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    My shock collar stops my dog in his tracks, ive used it for numerous training exercises. It will work for controlling an ill tempered dog. I dont think though they make mine anymore, it's like an industrial one, i think they said it was inhumane, oh well, hes not human.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    fixing the dog will help with the aggression they also put animals on prozac and xanax I think. If you have a vet tell him/her what is happening, your dog is just not "socialized" that's the term. The vet will find your solution I guarantee it.

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    True, I think she is too old for obedience now at 3 years..my old dog had bitten someone, my brother, but she also was developing a bad case of arthritis. We had to put her down.
    I think fixing the dog would help, but the vet would have a better opinion than any of us IMO. Good luck, I'm a dog lover too bro.

i have the shock collar, ive used it to train her. like i said she is very obedient to me. i thought it was inhumane, so i put it on my neck..ya it sucks, but she doesnt yelp or flinch, she just stops and looks at me till i quit it..

anyways, she always got along with the other dogs fine, and she still does with the other. i think what has happened, is the lapso has decided to become the dominant dog and mine doesnt agree with that opinion

so, do you think the bite to my grandfather was from him trying to break the fight..or do you think it was an aggresion diretly toward him? thats whats go me so upset

Never too late to train a dog.

Just look at 1vic!!!

MILPOLDAN1 is offline Member
    I was a k-9mp in the army for 3 years, and our dogs were 1 to 1 1/2 before we started training, and it is never to late to train a dog, i prefer an older dog because they are usually calmer and matured already, the bite was most likely not directed towards your grandfather, e-collars are great though unless your dog gets used to it, i have trained some dogs that don't give two sh!ts about e-collars, like 1vic said they do give prozac to dogs which seems to calm them down alot.

thanks guys

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    i have the shock collar, ive used it to train her. like i said she is very obedient to me. i thought it was inhumane, so i put it on my neck..ya it sucks, but she doesnt yelp or flinch, she just stops and looks at me till i quit it..

anyways, she always got along with the other dogs fine, and she still does with the other. i think what has happened, is the lapso has decided to become the dominant dog and mine doesnt agree with that opinion

so, do you think the bite to my grandfather was from him trying to break the fight..or do you think it was an aggresion diretly toward him? thats whats go me so upset
    I wouldnt think anything of it, they are dogs, obviously they dont get along. they dont have to follow social norms like humans do, and if theyre pissed theyre gonna make sure you know, i dont think you have an issue at all, it is something between the dogs.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I agree with the shock collar. If you turn the one I use up high enough it will make you piss your pants. Shocking her and telling her "No" is much more humane than having to have her put to sleep somewhere down the road...IMO. Good luck with it bro. Don't feel bad about disciplining your dog. She will love you for it and make a better pet.

peace,

ttgb

diezell is offline Senior Member
    spading would take some of the steam outta it and if worse came to worse i had to put my dog on a form of doggy ridulin it worked good

MILPOLDAN1 is offline Member
    yeah get her spaded it will probably help alot,

Thread Information