Chopped & Screwed(Slow Motion)Rap????

Can someone explain to me why some of these southern rappers choose to listen/make chopped and screwed music. Chopped & screwed music for those that still havn't figured it out is music that is slow motion. It's usually the stuff from Texas. Lil' Flip, Slim Thugg, Paul Wall, Swisha House stuff. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Maraxus is offline Banned
    no sorry.

LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    i dunno man, i didnt really like it at first but its growin on me. only a few songs sounds good though.

I like Paul Wall, Chamillionaire but **** sometimes it pisses me off when I want to listen to Slim Thugg and He's in slow motion. Pisses me off. I can deal with Chamillionaire and Paul Wall in slow motion cause they still sound the same but Slim Thugg and Lil' Flip....AHH I bet SC can awnser this question. Since he's a Hip Hop fan.

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    Yeah man, thats just Houston's style. It was started by one man, Dj Screw, who recently died a while back. He basically started a lot of the stuff, and many of you know Scarface, he made it too the big leagues from Houston. Now Lil' Flip is there, Slim Thugg is coming up, Mike Jones Who Mike Jones is coming up. I remember listening to these guys when they were just underground cats doing their thing. If you like it you should check out other guys like the Z-Ro, Freestyle Kings, Lil KeKe', Big Moe, etc... you should have heard some of the frist screw. It was SLOWWWWW, way slower than what I listen to now.

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    My brother has a ton of that shti. He listens to it in his car mostly. I guess he likes the way the slowed downed bass lines hit in his car.

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    After spending most of the 1990s as an infamous local phenomenon in Houston, TX, DJ Screw suddenly found himself gaining sudden notoriety before his unfortunate death in late

2000. The Houston DJ made a name for himself primarily because of his uncanny mixing style, which found him pitching down his records to a lumbering and quite eerie pace. Over the course of the '90s, what began as novelty actually became a rather lucrative venture for Screw, who produced hundreds of mix tapes, with some estimates projecting his total number of tapes topping over a thousand; furthermore, he sold the tapes at his Houston-based record store, Screwed Up Records and Tapes. Oddly enough, he preferred to release his mixes almost exclusively on cassette, though fans often recorded the mixes and traded them via the Internet; in addition, countless "screwed" remixes of popular rap anthems were widely available on Napster thanks to his cultish following.

Yet it's hard to imagine Screw's legacy being what it is if not for his role as an adamant advocate of "syrup sippin'," a Southern rap phenomenon involving codeine-infused cough syrup -- the resulting intoxication induces a hallucinatory state where everything slows down and becomes the senses swirl. As marijuana was to early-'90s gangsta rap, LSD was to late-'60s psychedelic rock, ecstasy was to late-'80s rave -- and so on -- the syrup sippin' advocated by Screw's trippy hip-hop mixes led to a small drug movement within the late-'90s Dirty South genre, reaching its zenith with Three 6 Mafia's hit "Sippin' on Some Syrup" in 2000. It's hard to deny that this phenomenon wasn't as important to Screw's popularity as his music was (especially considering some of his tape titles: Syrup & Soda, Syrup Sippers, Sippin' Codeine, etc.) Still, Screw did serve as a leader for Houston's burgeoning rap scene; his home studio, The Screw Shop, functioned as the home base for what was loosely referred to as the Screwed Up Click, including semi-successful rappers such as Big Pokey and Lil' Keke, along with about 30 others were known locally.

I just heard a song with Paul Wall and Big Pokey "Sittin Sideways." Caught my attention right away. I didn't even know Paul Wall was white. LOL. That was good info Z-Ro.

the_rebirth is offline Member
    that stuff is popular in fl and tx and other southern states, up here in det most people do not care for that music. but i know that thier makin thier $$$ so at the end of the day thats all that matters

I hate it. lol

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Don't really dig it myself!

~SC~

Thread Information