RATM is offline Senior Member

Can Someone Explain to me why.......

So I am at the gym this morning doing cardio and most if not all the TV's are carrying the Popes funeral. It seemed to be a touching funeral service (no pun intended to the priests there), and although I am a non practicing catholic, I was wondering something.

Why was the Pope lying in a plain wooden box? Although this thing could have been made out of Maple or Birch or some other hard wood, it could as easily been pine. i would have thought he would have been in a more ornate casket. Anyone else see this?

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member

Pope

I noticed this too and also that ever single major news chanel had this on. What do people of other faiths do for news? Regarding the Pine box. It is Humility. The pope being Christ like is suppose to be very humble not wanting worldly things in life.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LAW
    I noticed this too and also that ever single major news chanel had this on. What do people of other faiths do for news? Regarding the Pine box. It is Humility. The pope being Christ like is suppose to be very humble not wanting worldly things in life.
    I agree... I see it on every public television set... it's like when you got busted for stealing candy when you were 10 years old and every cop in town came to the store. Possibly its a lack of news elsewhere (hard to believe in today's world) but I think they need to better schedule the news programming. He is not going to be reserected at any moment (or roll over and say, "I was just playin'!")... no need for constant television crews at his funeral... JMHO

RIP

Does he get buried or will be placed in a monument for popes?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    His body will be put inside three coffins:

* the first made of cypress, signifying his humanity
    * the second of lead and inscribed with a skull and crossbones. Inside this coffin the broken papal seal and documents describing his papacy are placed.
    * the third made of elm, signifying dignity of the papal office and on which is placed a plaque indicating his name and the date of his pontificate

He is then interred in a crypt underneath St. Peter's Basilica.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDeity

* the second of lead and inscribed with a skull and crossbones. Inside this coffin the broken papal seal and documents describing his papacy are placed.
    * the third made of elm, signifying dignity of the papal office and on which is placed a plaque indicating his name and the date of his pontificate

wow, thanks!

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member

Actually....this pope will be burried in the ground with a simple marble plaque inscribed with his name on it. .........per his testiment

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    After the funeral, the first wooden coffin is placed in a zinc coffin, which in turn is placed in a massive wooden casket. The zinc coffin and wooden casket are meant to slow down the decomposition process. just read that on yahoo

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    I thought he would be buried in something carved outta a solid piece of marble trimmed with gold.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    After the funeral, the first wooden coffin is placed in a zinc coffin, which in turn is placed in a massive wooden casket. The zinc coffin and wooden casket are meant to slow down the decomposition process. just read that on yahoo
    The more you know

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damiongage
    Actually....this pope will be burried in the ground with a simple marble plaque inscribed with his name on it. .........per his testiment

With date of birth and year of death.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    I would like to see his personal notes.....I guess he is having those burned

Thread Information