Whats the best way of getting into UFC?
    I wanna hear some answers..

BDTR is offline Retired
    two options:

Have lots of fights
    Know someone.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Start off in smaller venues and do very well. Send in videos after you have built up a nice little record. And praying couldn't hurt either.

I have hung out on Duane Ludwig's message board before. He's a real nice guy, trained by Bas Rutten. Has fought many top name fighters. Fought Genki Sudo (UFC 42), BJ Penn (MMA Romanex), lots of King of the cage stuff, and also alot of kickboxing fights and titles. It's a tough business. I think he still works as an electrician. When evan tanner won, he said something about being able to pay the mortgage. All the training and fights, these guys don't get much unless you are i the top 1/2 %

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by BDTR
    two options:

Have lots of fights
    Know someone.
    Lots of fights? What if your an unknown? What happens then?

BDTR is offline Retired
    You have to make yourself known. Like said above, send tapes out etc..

sp9
    Ever see Extreme challege, put it to you this way, Rich Franklin last Extreme Challenge was 41. No pay per view, probably very few $, and it actually took place in what looked to be a bar. But it was his 12th win and no losses. He has had to fight for years to finally get a chance at good money.

Quote Originally Posted by BDTR
    You have to make yourself known. Like said above, send tapes out etc..
    Ok I hear all of u, and thanks for the info but...What Are the the weight classes? Is there a point where you're too heavy or too old?
    Thanks,

sp9
    If your over say 215, there isn't a limit on the heaviest weight class in most organizations but that all works against you especially if you have to do 5, 10, or even 15 minute rounds.

Age? depends on your goals, their are places that let guys in their late 40's fight. Not likely on a ufc though. If your goal is to make a living then it is a very long shot even if you have everything in order. If your goal is to get into a few legal professionally sanctioned fights I think that's easily obtainable.

You can start by doing some ameatuer stuff for free and having it taped. Doesn't matter where but it should be legit with medical staff and all safety precautions. You would be suprised. depending on where you live there is probably a pro-fighter near you that wouldn't mind spending a few hours sparring or showing you their workout.
    Last edited by sp9; 04-10-2005 at 08:02 PM.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member

just a thought

i think most of the competitors are part of one of the squads like shamrock's "lions den" or i dunno i forget the other ones' names, but i think this fits w/ the "know someone" thing and you wanna train at a studio that has connections with these ufc mafias. i think for instance there are quite a few centers connected with the gracie family.

sp9
    For exampe, I know an 18 year old kid that is going to have Yves Edwards in his corner for a amatuer fight down in TX. Yves is another guy that fought in some holes to get to where he is.

Duane Ludwig is in Colorado, unless your remote you could probably get into a gym with guys of their caliber, and they are world class fighters.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Dont lost fights

Thanks for the response but I still don't understand your response on the weight class??
    Whats the deal?

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    Thanks for the response but I still don't understand your response on the weight class??
    Whats the deal?
    It's by organization. For example, UFC has very strict weight classes. Others do not. So if you are starting out it would be specific to the organization you are in. For example they had that Sumo wrestler fight Royce Gracie on Dec 31, 2004 in K1 Dynamite. I think the guy weighed 485 and Royce was 170.

To answer you question the UFC is:

Weight classes:
    Lightweight - over 145 lbs. to 155 lbs.
    Welterweight - over 155 lbs. to 170 lbs.
    Middleweight - over 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.
    Light Heavyweight - over 185 lbs. to 205 lbs.
    Heavyweight - over 205 lbs. to 265 lbs.

sp9
    Pride :

Weight classes are as follows:
    Middleweight Class: Weight less than 93 kg/205 lbs.
    Heavyweight Class: Weight more than or equal to 93 kg/ 205 lbs.
    • If both fighters are in the middleweight class: If there is a weight difference of 10 kg/22 lbs or more between the fighters, then the lighter fighter is given a choice on whether or not to permit knees or kicks to the face when the fighters are in the "four points position."
    • If both fighters are in the heavyweight class: If there is a weight difference of 15 kg/33 lbs or more between the fighters, then the lighter fighter is given a choice on whether or not to permit knees or kicks to the face when the fighters are in the "four points position."
    • If the match is between a middleweight and heavyweight: If there is a weight difference of 10 kg/22 lbs or more between the fighters, then the lighter fighter is given a choice on whether or not to permit knees or kicks to the face when the fighters are in the "four points position."

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    go to ufc's webpage, i believe they are taking apps for a season 2 of the ultimate fighter..

sp9
    Quote Originally Posted by anaBROLIC
    go to ufc's webpage, i believe they are taking apps for a season 2 of the ultimate fighter..
    True,

What's interesting though is they made it seem like they were seriuosly considering anyone. All those guys were already pro-fighters with good records.

Even Bobby Southworth had already fought in Pride against Vitor Belfort some years ago.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    Quote Originally Posted by sp9
    True,

What's interesting though is they made it seem like they were seriuosly considering anyone. All those guys were already pro-fighters with good records.

Even Bobby Southworth had already fought in Pride against Vitor Belfort some years ago.
    ya and diego won king of the cage a few times.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    MBarasso -

work on getting your pro card before trying to get to the UFC/PRIDE/KOTC

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Try getting involved in the smaller regional shows... There's a
    few organizations that have regular events down Atlantic City...
    But they are not exactly small shows, but sure you could find
    some regional events to get involved with first... Hit up ripsid
    on AM he'll be able to fill you in with some local stuff probably..

Whats the best way of getting into UFC?
    I wanna hear some answers..

zuke is offline Member
    if you are up around washington, pm me

Get on a reality show on Spike TV.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Lots of fights? What if your an unknown? What happens then?
    then you don't get in. your fight record is your resume', and how you prove you're worthy to fight in the big leaugues.

just keep fighting and winnning against improving opposiition and you'll eventually make it (unless you are a boring fighter that no one wants to see).

the best route - get hooked up with a top gym with good connections - team quest, MFS, anyone who already has top fighters in UFC. if this is not an option, just make sure you train at the best MMA school available. you can train at school that doesn't specialize in MMA (like most jiu jistsu schools), but you will be at a real disadvantage competing against real MMA fighters.

fight in the local shows and win. as your ability increases, fight in bigger and bigger shows against bigger and bigger opponents. KOTC is the biggest american show under UFC, it if you win KOTC it really looks good.

applying to TUF is a really good idea, it's tremendous exposure.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    as far as weight goes, most smaller orgs do not have an upper limit on weight. but UFC does, and will not let you fight if you're over 265 anymore. if you know how to cut weight and dehydrate properly, you can fight in the ring at a solid 280, after weighing in at 265 the night before.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    you could also get in based on world class performance in a respected base art - a gold medalist wrestler could go directly to UFC. but obviously, this is even harder than winning a bunch of fights

decadbal is offline Banned
    id say just beat the punk biitch dana white up... that prag acts way to hard to be a UFC prez IMO...

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    This is just a guess, but I bet Dana White can throw pretty good...

Just a gut feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    id say just beat the punk biitch dana white up... that prag acts way to hard to be a UFC prez IMO...

Thread Information