LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan

American flag always at half mast?

It really seems within the last year or two, every time something remotely tragic happens in this country the flags are at half mast for like a month. I mean the decease of a president is understandable. But when I look outside and see a flag half up and I don't even know why, it really bothers me. I just personally feel that it is an almost insecure feeling to see that all the time. Tragedy's happen everyday. Go to bad neighborhoods and suburbs and what not, shootings are not uncommon and they go unnoticed. Now I believe the flag was at half because of the school shootings the last few weeks. Now of course I feel the shootngs were a terrible thing. But when this happens to middle-upper class America, thats the only time people get concerned. Just bothers me, I dunno just want to see others opinions on this.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    This time around it's for the pope . . . dunno why, though. They wouldn't lower the flag for the death of, say, Jerry Falwell, or Billy Graham, so I dunno why they do it for the pope. He's not even an American . . .
    -Tock

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    I feel that they should lower the flag on the DAY it happens, no more. Sure the pope died, but how does that directly effect our country?

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    JSN would (no offense to flag oweners) never put a flag up. most of the people i see doing that are like 64 year old amputees who think ford is better than honda and filet mignon is "that dirty frog bastard who didn't support operation: axis of evil must be stopped freedom freedom freedom" or whatver that war was called.

Nutz56 is offline Banned
    i personally don't understand it either. i actually saw a few flags half mast on my way home from a concert friday and honestly had no idea why. i thought they were still halfway down for the soldiers overseas or somethin. no reason to go half for somebody from another country for a whole month, pope or not. it's the "American flag". just my .02

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, this country has over twice as many protestants are catholics anyways.

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos' Nephew
    JSN would (no offense to flag oweners) never put a flag up. most of the people i see doing that are like 64 year old amputees who think ford is better than honda and filet mignon is "that dirty frog bastard who didn't support operation: axis of evil must be stopped freedom freedom freedom" or whatver that war was called.
    Its called pride. Your example sounds like an old war veteran. Flying the flag maybe all he has to show for it.

Honda Sucks!!!

Yeah they do get a little carried away around here as well with the flag at half mast. There have been times where I have seen it at half mast and wondered what in the h*ll was going on.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hed
    I feel that they should lower the flag on the DAY it happens, no more. Sure the pope died, but how does that directly effect our country?
    www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/forsakenroots.html

Thread Information