Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dieseL atC is offline Member

Wow, America is a bunch of Fat people..

I'm doing a research paper on obesity and I found some eye-opening facts. This one in particular.

127,000,000 adults in America are overweight, 60,000,000 adults in America are obese, and 9,000,000 are severely obese? Those numbers mean approximately 65% of our nation’s population is classified as being overweight or obese, and that number has progressively increased since the 1960’s – an increase that shows no signs of slowing down.

Why do you guys think America is so fat?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Why do you guys think America is so fat?
    because most americans gobble down fast food. They do this because they are either 1)too lazy to cook something healthy 2)unaware of how bad fast food is 3)unaware of the basic concepts of proper nutrition (i.e. all they know of nutrition is the food pyramid) 4)did I mention american's are lazy? I think that's the largest factor. Why spend 20-60 minutes cooking something healthy when you can go through a drive through and have something now?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Cuz winny is illegal... I heard you can drink that stuff and it will get you RIPPED!

Although both of those are true.. I need some serious answers for my research paper..

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm considered obese. They use height vs. weight... not bodyfat%.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseL atC
    Although both of those are true.. I need some serious answers for my research paper..
    why don't you hit the street and do some research? Write down a series of quetions concerning proper nutrition, then go out and interview random people. Get as many people as you can and you will see a trend for sure. That's how I'd do it at least. Make the interview relatively short, but precice. You need to keep people interested so they'll give you info.

You can try going to fast food places first, then grocery stores. I dunno just a thought bro.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    I'm considered obese. They use height vs. weight... not bodyfat%.
    True, however for most of the population I'd say that height vs weight is accurate. I mean, guys with large amounts of muscle mass are not that common. The majority of 6' 250lbs guys (or whatever arbitrary measurement you wish) have high body fat.

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    why don't you hit the street and do some research? Write down a series of quetions concerning proper nutrition, then go out and interview random people. Get as many people as you can and you will see a trend for sure. That's how I'd do it at least. Make the interview relatively short, but precice. You need to keep people interested so they'll give you info.

You can try going to fast food places first, then grocery stores. I dunno just a thought bro.
    Yea, you guys aren't the only ones I'm getting my research from. I'm just curious because most people on this board have lots of knowledge when it comes to your bodies and fitness.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    True, however for most of the population I'd say that height vs weight is accurate. I mean, guys with large amounts of muscle mass are not that common. The majority of 6' 250lbs guys (or whatever arbitrary measurement you wish) have high body fat.
    Agreed. I'm just bitter cause I'm "obese"

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Because Americans have no food sense, and don't give a sh*t about their health when compared w/other countries.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Because Americans have no food sense, and don't give a sh*t about their health when compared w/other countries.

~SC~

Ah, just the man I was looking for. Although I was hoping for a bit more.

Oh, and they smell too.

~SC~

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    Americans are just plain lazy, thats all it comes down to. We all want something for nothing. Its a shame....i heard somewhere that only like 2% of Americans have a six pack.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldwannab
    i heard somewhere that only like 2% of Americans have a six pack.
    Yeah, and it's Budweiser.

~SC~

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Think: dual-income households, length of average American workday, divorce rates, differences between portion size and nutrition facts between a contemporary individual in his or her adulthood and a similar adult from 1952 or so, school food in today's versus yesterday's cafeterias, physical activity differences.

Yeah, and it's Budweiser.

~SC~

Yeah, the kids in elementary school are fat little f*ckers!

~SC~

Americans are just plain lazy, thats all it comes down to. We all want something for nothing. Its a shame....i heard somewhere that only like 2% of Americans have a six pack.

Americans as a nationality work harder than any other nationality of people on earth, maybe even the history of the nations.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Americans as a nationality work harder than any other nationality of people on earth, maybe even the history of the nations.
    Obviously not when it comes to helth/fitness.

Yeah, the kids in elementary school are fat little f*ckers!

~SC~

If charter schools ever take off and I have children, I'm sending my kid to one that will only allow him to eat food I approve of.

Diet down by 6, exercise technique by 8, AAS by 10, Olympia by 16. LOL

wrong bro. seriously. go to germany you'll see some hard working people. Japan as well. Americans are lazy. its true.

If charter schools ever take off and I have children, I'm sending my kid to one that will only allow him to eat food I approve of.

Diet down by 6, exercise technique by 8, AAS by 10, Olympia by 16. LOL
    LMFAO!!!!!!!

~SC~

Obviously not when it comes to helth/fitness.

They don't have time to, they're busy buildiing a super-power and paying taxes.

wrong bro. seriously. go to germany you'll see some hard working people. Japan as well. Americans are lazy. its true.
    I've been to both.

So they put in longer workweeks than we do?

Not a chance.

also, not to discredit you or anything, forgive me, but found this little tid pit of info....
    1 November 2004

According to a recent report from the International Labour Organisation, Australians are among the hardest workers in the world.

One in five Australian employees are working at least 50 hours a week.
    Garie Dooley, Regional Director, Kelly Services comments on this report in an interview with Ross Warneke from radio station 3AW, Melbourne.

ROSS WARNEKE: Interesting story this morning, the International Labour Organisation has done its first report on excessive working hours in the industrialised world, and they've found that Australians are among the hardest workers in the world, with one in five employees clocking up at least 50 hours a week. Now that's a huge figure.

Apparently only the Japanese and perhaps one or two other countries are ahead of us in that regard. In Japan 28 per cent of the workforce work 49 hours or more each week, but Australia is up there with the best. We seem to work harder than just about anyone else on earth. A lot of Australians I suspect would say what a load of rubbish, but apparently it's true.
    Joining me on the line from Kelly Services, which is a global staff and recruiting company, the regional director Garie Dooley. Garie, good morning.

GARIE DOOLEY: Good morning Ross.

WARNEKE: Do these figures surprise you?

DOOLEY: No Ross, they don't, and these numbers aren't anything new. We started to pick this trend up probably about seven or eight years ago, and really those numbers - I mean interesting you mention that we were the best, some would suggest we're up with the worst, but--
    WARNEKE: What's wrong with working that long?

also, not to discredit you or anything, forgive me, but found this little tid pit of info....
    1 November 2004

According to a recent report from the International Labour Organisation, Australians are ***among*** the hardest workers in the world.

One in five Australian employees are working at least 50 hours a week.
    Garie Dooley, Regional Director, Kelly Services comments on this report in an interview with Ross Warneke from radio station 3AW, Melbourne.

ROSS WARNEKE: Interesting story this morning, the International Labour Organisation has done its first report on excessive working hours in the industrialised world, and they've found that Australians are ***among*** the hardest workers in the world, with one in five employees clocking up at least 50 hours a week. Now that's a huge figure.

Apparently only the Japanese and perhaps ***one or two other countries*** are ahead of us in that regard. In Japan 28 per cent of the workforce work 49 hours or more each week, but Australia is up there with the best. We seem to work harder than just about anyone else on earth. A lot of Australians I suspect would say what a load of rubbish, but apparently it's true.
    Joining me on the line from Kelly Services, which is a global staff and recruiting company, the regional director Garie Dooley. Garie, good morning.

GARIE DOOLEY: Good morning Ross.

WARNEKE: Do these figures surprise you?

DOOLEY: No Ross, they don't, and these numbers aren't anything new. We started to pick this trend up probably about seven or eight years ago, and really those numbers - I mean interesting you mention that we were the best, some would suggest we're up with the worst, but--
    WARNEKE: What's wrong with working that long?

"Among"

So where does it say Americans don't work more hours?

I wonder who the "one or two other countries" are. I bet I know who #1 is.

I've been to both.

So they put in longer workweeks than we do?

Not a chance.
    not that work hours is an accurate measure of how hard working one is, but yes in Japan I know they put in more work hours. Most of the people I stayed with over there worked 12 hour days +

, but yes in Japan I know they put in more work hours.

http://www.cww.rutgers.edu/dataPages/CT.pdf

Read paragraph 4 under: International Developements in Working Time.

http://www.cww.rutgers.edu/dataPages/CT.pdf

Read paragraph 4 under: International Developements in Working Time.
    Im just saying that from my experience in japan they are much harder working.

Ok, ok, well point being...Americans hard working or not are still dubbed the fattest nation!

Symatech and Arnoldwannabe, owned. LOL

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    I think america is one of the hardest working nations in the world and all those hard working adults don't have the time/patience/motivation to put more hard work in choosing the right foods to eat and taking the time to excercise. There is also some statistic about how americans hardly use any vacation time and work extensive work weeks. Just my opinion. I used to be very fat, and now am very lean and part of that 2% of americans

l6873 is offline Associate Member
    Since when does working hard equal working long hours?

Just becasue you work long hours doesn't mean you work hard

Quote Originally Posted by l6873
    Since when does working hard equal working long hours?
    It doesn't. Working long hours has no relationship with how hard you work.

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    your all fat bitches...... the reason is cause all the lil kids come home from school... get a ****load of food... play vid games all day...........

same with adults... they have a desk job.... eat all day........ ta da FAT.

Quote Originally Posted by BARLOW
    your all fat bitches...... the reason is cause all the lil kids come home from school... get a ****load of food... play vid games all day...........
    A good point. Why do you all think that the American public education system is such a joke? I'll give you a hint, it's not because of the hard working American kids who do their homework and study...

obviously there are good schools and some good students but as a whole...well...it's not very glamorous.

We're talking about industrialized nations here. If you are tlking about the stoneage peoples of New Whogivesaratsass, I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you. It would be hard to lay around most of the day, and that is exactly what they do.

You guys brought up Germany, Japan, Australia, and the US.

Here's a secret, there are no sweat shops in any of these countries. The workforce of any industrialized nation will be similar in composition. These countries also have a firm grip in the tech sector.

The definition of hard in this instance should include, lack of vacation time, lack of daily free time, not having enough time to take care of your own children, stress, % of individuals working to total individuals.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 04-11-2005 at 08:48 PM.

A good point. Why do you all think that the American public education system is such a joke? I'll give you a hint, it's not because of the hard working American kids who do their homework and study...

obviously there are good schools and some good students but as a whole...well...it's not very glamorous.

Public education....****. THAT would be a good thread.

There are so many **** things wrong with public education it isn't funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information