View Poll Results: Who will win the World Series?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arizona Diamondbacks

1 7.14%
  • New York Yankees

5 35.71%
  • New York Mets

1 7.14%
  • Los Angeles Dodgers

0 0%
  • Atlanta Braves

1 7.14%
  • Houston Astros

1 7.14%
  • Texas Rangers

1 7.14%
  • Seattle Mariners

1 7.14%
  • Cleveland Indians

0 0%
  • Other

3 21.43%
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Question Who will win the World Seies this year?

It's less than two weeks til the sounds of opening day.....

Tell us who you think will win the World Series and also tell us your favorite team. These are not the same in my case; I think The Diamondbacks will give it another run, while I root for the Florida Marlins.

(The poll will only include teams that have legit chances IMO for a World Series run).

Originally posted by 9natural9
    I'm going against my head, and pull for my TEXAS RANGERS!!! Of coarse that's only if they never play the Yankees this season, I hate those bastards.
    But you missed the point 9Natural9, it's vote for who you really think will win, and then tell us who you root for. They can be the same, but in may case they are different.

Originally posted by Diesel
    METS BABY! (If our pitching holds up)

Canes, there is one I think you are missing. I think the Cardinals have a strong team and could make a very good run at the whole thing.
    You are right Diesel, I also forgot that Moises Alou is gone from Houston, so there's going to be even more pressure on Luìs Gonzalez and Berkman (I think that is his name, it's been a few months please forgive) to deliver the pop for the Astros, and after the All-Star Break last year Luìs Gonzalez faded badly. He didn't do well under the pressure.

St Louis is loaded, but JD Drew has GOT to produce more. Don't expect any miracles from Ankiel either, I see in the paper the other day he didn't have much control (8 walks in 3 innings) in his last start of spring and was relegated to minor league status to start the year. What happened to that kid?

My NL Rookie of the Year is our own Florida Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett. This kid is 20 years old and has a WICKED bevy of pitches and has control of them. He is going to be something special.

And as for your Mets, they had better watch their tails as the Marlins will be nipping at them and Atlanta's heels all year. The Marlins pitching staff is the envy of MLB, and average age of them is 23 years old. If Dempster can cut down his walks, and if Penny gets run support (he had the second lowest in the NL last year) he can have a breakout year. Not to mention AJ BUrnett who had a no-hitter at age 21 last year. If the Marlins can do better in 1-run games (they lost a major league record 43 1-run games last year) they will be a force in the NL East.

As for the Phillies....even though they have two former Hurricanes (Pat Burrell and rookie Mike Metcalfe) starting for them this year, I still think they were a one-year-wonder.

Originally posted by 9natural9
    I could play the favorite CANES and go with the Yankees, but the Rangers are one in the same to me I guess...my pick for the World Series Champion....you know me CANES as an underdog playing ball in you no where against you know who, I lOVE THE UNDERDOG BABY!!!
    Okay you got me there 9Natural9, Texas has a shot. By the way A-Rod and my Yoga instructor were team-mates at Westminster Christian Acedemy here in Miami, and I've had the chance to meet him. Cool guy, and wow, $ 25 mil a year is fun to have, you should see some of his new toys !!!!

bump !

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Odds are the Yankees will win it this year.......but I'm rooting for the Cincinnati Reds!

Originally posted by ironmike7000
    Odds are the Yankees will win it this year.......but I'm rooting for the Cincinnati Reds!
    <------ loves Danny Graves Cincy closer, former Hurricane pitcher (1993-5)

BIG_JDAWG is offline Associate Member
    you all will see who wins...and it won't be any of the teams on the poll.......the drought is finally over baby!!!! the CUBBIES ARE TAKIN IT ALL!!!!!!!!

GOOO CUBS!!!!!!!!!

Terinox is offline The One & Only

I clicked on this thinking it was going to be World Cup Soccer

Oh well, since I know nothing about baseball, i'm gonna stay outta this one. But I can garuantee, it's not going to be the Toronto Blue Jays (that's if they can even play in the World Series)

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Who will win the World Seies this year?

Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    (The poll will only include teams that have legit chances IMO for a World Series run).
    Then why'd you include the Dodgers?

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey numbnuts... you forgot the Boston RedSox!!!

$uperman is offline Member
    Atlanta

MindBomb is offline Member
    I say the ASTROS....But I say that each year....Hoping

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    I haven't followed baseball in few years, but...

GO BRAVES!!!!!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    yankees.....

sniper105 is offline Junior Member
    Come on y'all. I know you are all still shocked at the Patriots winning the S-bowl, now it's time for the boys from bean town to wow y'all...........Red Sox all the way. Hey it could happen

Originally posted by arthurb999
    Hey numbnuts... you forgot the Boston RedSox!!!

But Arthur, there are several reasons not to include the BoSox.....

1st, I LOATHE your new owner John Henry. A spinless, weasel who said he didn't have the money to build his own stadium here in South Fla, and didn't want to spend money to make the team better, yet had $ 660,000,000 to buy the BoSox. Asshole, loathesome cretin !

2nd, you play in the same division as the Yankees, you won't win a WS, hell you won't even win your division. I also think either Texas or Baltimore vies for the wildcard.

3rd, the ever present, Curse of the Bambino.

Sorry bro, but the BoSox have ZERO shot this or any year

Originally posted by sniper105
    Red Sox all the way. Hey it could happen
    And the Roman Catholic Church might hire a straight priest too, could happen, but not very likely

T-NUTZ is offline Junior Member
    Screw the curse of the Bambino........It's the return of Pedro and Nomaaaaaaaah!!! with all that said, Yanks win division by double digits and eventually lose the series in game 6 by a score of 46-45 to my Rockies.

And the Roman Catholic Church might hire a straight priest too, could happen, but not very likely
    Hey Canes,

What do you have against gays? and Jesus?

Hey Canes,

What do you have against gays? and Jesus?
    Arthur I have nothing against them, I was just making a joke bro.....

<--- has been a baptised Southern Baptist since I was 9 years old. I am gay, and that may go in contravention with what most think of being a Christian, but I am one and will not deny my love and belief in Jesus as my Savior.

Hey guys...lets not get this into a religious thing...I'll delete the post if it does.

Arthur I have nothing against them, I was just making a joke bro.....

<--- has been a baptised Southern Baptist since I was 9 years old. I am gay, and that may go in contravention with what most think of being a Christian, but I am one and will not deny my love and belief in Jesus as my Savior.

Hey guys...lets not get this into a religious thing...I'll delete the post if it does.
    I was joking bro!! I know you're gay that's why I said it... I was breaking your balls. Don't sweat it bro.

I was joking bro!! I know you're gay that's why I said it... I was breaking your balls. Don't sweat it bro.
    Bro, I have to apologise, it's just not been the best day for me. I had it out earlier today with my Mom, and that made me sour. So I guess I'm not my witty and fun-loving self today.

Sorry I missed it bro <whiff> went right over my head !

You're such a hate monger canes. Don't sweat it!

You're such a hate monger canes. Don't sweat it!
    Thanks Arthur I'm feeling better already. Time heals everything, or so they say

Well, if Ankiel is not hitting the broadcast booth when he pitches that is progress!

I think you are going to see Atlanta fall apart right before your eyes this year. Sorry Atlanta fans, but I can not stand your team. I will enjoy watching the geriatrics pitch.

The Marlins do have a young and what would appear a quality pitching staff. However, They have almost zero pop in the lineup. (Hence all the 1 run losses last year.) Also, I'm not sure the staff is 'proven' yet. Only time will tell.

Mets have a great lineup after adding Roberto and MO. Finally ditched the slugs (Ventura and Zielle). Pitching is my main concern.

You never know though. That is what makes it fun.
    Atlanta is the team that is the one to watch. They added Sheffield but has time finally run out on Glavine and Maddox, as we saw last year it has run out on Smoltz as a starter. One thing for sure, Turner will spend money if the team has a chance by the trading deadline.

Who is in the Mets starting rotation? Other than Leiter, I can't remember who they are.

The Marlins should expect more pop from Floyd if he stays healthy (he has never played a full season), Wilson to bounce back and also Gonzalez to hit over .250 instead of the 218 he hit last year. Also his OB% needs to climb. Also we need to get more out of Owens (OF) and Clement (P) that we trated for last year before the season when we gave San Diego Mark Kotsay, who is a gold-glove caliber.

What ever happened to the days when teams killed for a hitter that hit over .300 with 20 HR's? Now it is like you are a hot commodity if you hit 45 HR's with a .225 avg. If it were me, I would take the .300 hitter every time.
    I agree, I like the Tony Gwynn or Cal Ripken type guy anyday over a Sheffield. The game has changed, and not for the better, as guys with the big HR's make the SportsCenter hightlights, not the guy with the ordinary basehit who drives in the game winning run. Often last year I would see Baseball Tonight on ESPN and that is exactly what they would do, HR's hightlights only and no game-winning hit hightlights.

Shame that they have bent under to pressure from the TV people and not stuck with what real baseball fans want to see.

dyno45 is offline Junior Member
    Amen to that canes. I consider myself the old school baseball fan. Give me the guy who hits base hits all day versus the big swinger. Although I loved to watch McGwire swing the stick.
    I personally am a Cardinals fan and have been ever since i can remember, so obviously I say the Cardinals are in the series this year.
    As for Ankiel. Sadly he needs to give it up. I have no clue why Larussa keeps hangin' on to the kid. His injury last week should be the last straw for him. The Cardinals best addition this year is Marinez. It was sad to see McGwire go but everyone has their day. We'll See if Puhouls was a fluke or not. I believe he is the real deal.
    And diesel I agree with what you said about Drew. They called him the next phenom a couple years ago. I think it went to his head and never left. He needs more consistency.
    Also the days of the old school ball player is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I would kill for more players that followed the Whitey Herzog philosophy of baseball. Manufacture runs.I loved that guy and his boldness of the hit and run or a suicide squeeze.

Originally posted by dyno45
    Amen to that canes. I consider myself the old school baseball fan. Give me the guy who hits base hits all day versus the big swinger. Although I loved to watch McGwire swing the stick.
    I personally am a Cardinals fan and have been ever since i can remember, so obviously I say the Cardinals are in the series this year.
    As for Ankiel. Sadly he needs to give it up. I have no clue why Larussa keeps hangin' on to the kid. His injury last week should be the last straw for him. The Cardinals best addition this year is Marinez. It was sad to see McGwire go but everyone has their day. We'll See if Puhouls was a fluke or not. I believe he is the real deal.
    And diesel I agree with what you said about Drew. They called him the next phenom a couple years ago. I think it went to his head and never left. He needs more consistency.
    Also the days of the old school ball player is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I would kill for more players that followed the Whitey Herzog philosophy of baseball. Manufacture runs.I loved that guy and his boldness of the hit and run or a suicide squeeze.
    Just the reason I loved the 1997 Marlins so much, they had some power (Sheffield), but they also had the old-time baseball philosophy about them, "pitching and defense", and they more or less manufactured runs.

dyno45 is offline Junior Member
    That's very rare for this generation in baseball canes. It really sad if you ask me.

Originally posted by dyno45
    That's very rare for this generation in baseball canes. It really sad if you ask me.
    I know, the game has changed just so much in only 10 years. You can tell it in the physiques of the men. Do you ever catch ESPN Classic Channel, they show old game from 10-15-20-25 and more years ago. The whole ambience of the game has shifted to the bigger, the more powerful, the finesse and skill of the game has been erroded to the point of not keeping my interest as it once did.

Also Bud Light (the commish) is such an ass. Totally unsuited for the job. He is making a mockery of what used to be "The All-American Pastime". I'm not even sure you could classify baseball as the 3rd or 4th favorite sports pastime in America anymore.

The salary structure and revenue disparity is killing the game. Most team and their fans KNOW they have no chance of winning the World Series going into the season. Only 6 or 7 teams even have an outside chance. It's killing interest and its killing the game as more and more children grow up not caring who the HR leader is, or who has the lowest ERA or who is the leading base stealer in baseball.

Really is sad, very sad.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    caines is gay!? just joking kev!!!!!!!!!!! my mom has a way of souring me to!!!!

the world series???? the ASTROS of course!!!

Originally posted by bigkev
    caines is gay!? just joking kev!!!!!!!!!!! my mom has a way of souring me to!!!!

the world series???? the ASTROS of course!!!
    That is the roumor, sad isn't ?

Oh about your Astros.....hmmmmm, not sure Berkman will have the same kind of year again this year. You also have to get more out of your pitchers....then we talk.

lance is a sure thing, everyday, every game.

i dont want to talk about pitchers, this is a fitness forum, i gotta go.... lol

lance is a sure thing, everyday, every game.

i dont want to talk about pitchers, this is a fitness forum, i gotta go.... lol
    You bad Kev,

<-- our pitching staff.....

<-- our pitching staff.....
    <----- The Marlins Bullpen in which the emphasis is on the BULL.

Look after only a PAID attendance on the 2nd night of 5,422 I don't see much of a future with this franchise, and maybe they should be contracted.

There have been so many broken promises since the 1997 World Championship, that people here in South Fla just refuse to support the team; I refuse to go to a game, period !
    DISASTER. No programes, ran out of Hot Dogs, Peanuts and Beer by the 3rd inning (no kidding), no pre-game ceremony to speak of (unless *Rocket Man* coming down from the upper deck with the 1st pitch in his belt constitues pre-game whoopla), booing of our then closer Braden Looper by the smallest Opening Game crowd in the majors (23,700). Then they played like shit and lost 10-2, and last night didn't fare much better, yet again the bullpen blew the game and they lost on a 2-run homer in the top of the 9th.

Please, the last owner, John Henry, the NEW owner of the Boston RedSox, said he didn't have the $ 300 million for a new stadium, yet he had $ 700 million to buy the Boston RedSox......what a fucken SHAM major league baseball has become. No competitive balance, and a commisioner who violates his own rules of Conflict of Interest (Selig admitted last week he took out a loan for his new stadium at a bank owned by Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad), has tried to kill baseball in South Fla (took the 2000 All-Star Game away from South Fla and moved it to Boston because we didn't build a new stadium at public expense for John Henry).

I love the game, but hate the MLB office, 9Natural9 is completely right when he says they are a freakin' bunch of a-holes.

But 9Natural9 I still don't think Pete Rose should go into the Hall of Fame until he can prove he didn't bet on baseball games.

Thread Information