Mutant is offline Banned

Bad situation for a bouncer...

Last night I had to bounce alone since my right hand man couldnt make it due to overtime at his normal job. The owner is a dipsh*t and thinks its "fine" bouncing alone with no help. So, anyways, I was outside at 11pm and only one other guy was out there minding his own buisness. Suddenly a huge Suburban rolls up and stops 50ft away. Four huge dudes, jump out of the truck and start rushing towards this guy. As soon as I saw this I stuck my head inside the door and screamed for some urgent help outside. Then I went and stood to the side of the guy that was getting rushed. To be honest I was getting scared. I am a big dude at 5'10 220, but these guys were just huge, and the guy I was next to was a flat out nerd. They stopped right in front of us yelling and screaming at the poor guy, and I screamed, "WTF is going on, take it somewhere else."(My job is just to stop fights, and prevent them if I can.) I knew if I tried to grab any of them I would get jumped to. So, I said **** it, and decided who I was going to whack with my Mag-Light before I got hit. Then out of nowhere the nerd standing next to me runs inside. Well, that sucked, but I tried to act like I didnt care that I was alone. I just stood there and said, "what do you want guys, he's gone." The biggest guy there which was a little over 7ft tall, maybe over 300lb, steps in front of me. He shaked my hand, nods his head, and they all walk away. I guess you could call that respect, haha. Then finally my help arrived outside. One of the skinny bartenders says, "he has my back". Gee, thanks for that urgent help, and thanks for not sending anybody that can actually help me! Fun times, and I only got paid my normal amount, yet I was working alone. I should have got the other bouncer's share of that cash too, but the ownership is split and that owner is a prick.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    lucky you

maxmuscle187 is offline Senior Member
    Why did he shake your hand?

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Good thing you didnt get served by the big boys...thats the problem with that job, the money just aint worth it if something breaks out and youre alone like that.

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    ahaha... my friend...... invest in a tazer gun lol

maybe 2..... u can have dual tazers!!!!!

Angelis is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle187
    Why did he shake your hand?
    Sign of Respect

Mutant is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    Sign of Respect
    Well, thats what I took it as, and thats what it seemed like.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    I never worked alone and never would. If that continues that your working by yourself then I suggest finding another place to work.

GOATNUTS is offline Member
    talk about a bad situation to be in. your lucky you didnt get the **** beat out of you

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, doesnt seem like a very could way to run a biz

IntensityX is offline BDTRs SHEMALE
    It's kind of funny in a way that your help came right after they left that's something you see in the movies the guy is in a situation like that all alone against all odds nothing happens and the calvary arrives nice timing lol

Good to see that it didn't turn ugly though.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Cool story for sure but you're lucky nothing really happened. No disrespect to you personally but IMO taking the guy's handshake was a total chump move....leaving yourself wiiiide open for god knows what. You have no way of knowing what is going on in this guys melon or what these people are capable of. Best thing to take away from this is to never let a situation like that repeat itself.

gixxer600 is offline Member
    As Napoleon Dynamite would have said "Luuuucky!!" Could have ended up much worse!

As was said, NEVER work a bar alone. It is plain stupidity/insanity.
    Get another gig. It isn't worth it bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    Sign of Respect
    But he didnt do anything?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I work a bar alone, that done for almost 18 months. It takes a very experienced bouncer to do it, most would say a stupid bouncer. Sometimes a single bouncer working alone can appeal to the better nature of the aggressor, "listen man, I'm here alone just trying to make a buck, don't fcuk it up for me" that kinda thing, back down withouth losing too much face or without seeming to be subservient. NEVER give ground, if you stand in front of the door thats exactly where you stay.

Shaking the guys hand was a good call IMO (this time). Thats a call you have to make on the spot, not doing it might pi$$ off an already aggitated aggressor. I shake hands with idiots all the time, but then I know exactly what I'm doing.

Chicamahomico is a (I think) a tradition Jiu Jitsu guy who I'm sure knows how to put on pretty decent thumb locks from a handshake. If I can decribe it correctly, when your shaking hands ALWAYS throw your thumb over the first knuckle of the other guys thumb. They'll be totally unaware of this happening. If things go tits up you apply presure through that knuckle with yours, while maintaining your handshake grip. Trust me it'll bring anyone to their knee's. Practice it with a friend, I appricate its hard to comprehend it here but once mastered NEVER shake hands without it.

The barman coming out to you. He's the one who was stupid, I'm sure you don't walk behind the bar when he's busy and start pulling pints.

Bouncer,

More power too you!

I worked doors from 17 to 28 and have seen so much crap it is amazing. Most guys should never work alone. Someone exceptional can get away with it. It is just that I wouldn't. I am very good at it, I'm just conservative.

so its kinda like a boy scout hand shake bouncer? :P

i dont see how pushing down on the knuckle would hurt though...........

Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Bouncer,

More power too you!

I worked doors from 17 to 28 and have seen so much crap it is amazing. Most guys should never work alone. Someone exceptional can get away with it. It is just that I wouldn't. I am very good at it, I'm just conservative.
    The bar I presently work on is a local (do you call it that in America?). I know probably 90% of the people drinking there on the weekends, they know me too. It has a capacity of about 200 people and not one of them would cause me a second thought. Working a club is different, I'd want at least one other person as good as myself beside me.

Working alone can be good in that you don't have to worry about the other guy doing a runner when things go bad, but then when things go bad and you've more than one aggressor against you your in deep sh*t.

Maturity has alot to do with it too. Most patrons in my bar would be from late 20's to their 50's, so a young guy couldn't work it. I'm 39 and have been on doors for well over 15yrs. If I was employing door staff I'm want people in their mid twentys upwards. Its hard to put an old head on young shoulders.

IntensityX is offline BDTRs SHEMALE
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle187
    But he didnt do anything?
    Right he stood his ground though and that commanded respect on their behalf it's like saying "Hey this guy aint afraid of anything he has balls" you got to repsect a guy that stands his ground even if the odds are stacked against him it's a sign of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by IntensityX
    Right he stood his ground though and that commanded respect on their behalf it's like saying "Hey this guy aint afraid of anything he has balls" you got to repsect a guy that stands his ground even if the odds are stacked against him it's a sign of respect.
    oh ok, i get it. I couldnt figure out why the aggresor just shook his hand outta nowhere.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Yeah he stood up to 4 mountains and didnt blow his lunch into his trousers, that deserves respect.

But why run into the parking lot? I know ive done it myself sometimes, but we are working the club/door, not the road outside.

I would never work alone, well maybe at a local like bouncer. Its different.

I shake hands with idiots coming into the club all night, i never want to but you hafto or it will cause violence since its considered an insult not to shake an open hand here.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    You shouldve beaten that little crackhead to sleep the second the 4 enormous gangmembers got out of the vehicle.

That guy probably shook your hand because he didnt want you to talk to police as you could give them descriptions

anyways, im glad to your okay, thats my main concern

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntensityX
    they probably just didnt want to heatscore themselves

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Mutant,

Same question as Palme. If your the only guy and this is happening outside the club with 4 guys, why not just call the police, sounds like their problem? I am all for stepping in if they were beating the guy down to the point of going overboard, or if there were 2 or 3 of you there, but you could have ended up in the emergency room for the few $ the guy paid you to work alone.

Maybe I am missing some of the logistics but you were lucky. Hard enough 2 on 1, but 4 on 1? Count your blessings and talk to your boss about picking up the other guys check to, and not working alone any more.

Maybe the bar is responsible for the parking lot. Normally I'd never step off the door to help some either, but I've worked in bars/clubs where the parking lot was our responsiblity.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Personally I won't shake hands with people before or after a potential bad situation went down. Too risky and puts you in a bad place but as Bouncer said you gotta make the call at the time. You know about those thumblocks too? They hurt like hell but I would be too scared to slap one on someone who I felt was a real threat becsuase you will just break their thumb and then probably get punched in the head.

Working alone is definitely only for really experienced doormen, I sure as hell would never try it and I don't think you will be able to find a club anywhere in the civilized world where you are expected to look after the street outside, thats what the cops are for.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    You know about those thumblocks too? They hurt like hell but I would be too scared to slap one on someone who I felt was a real threat becsuase you will just break their thumb and then probably get punched in the head.
    I've used it effectively to take down someone inside who refuses to go. I'll normally pacify him, "Look buddy no need for all this aggression, look my name's M....." Offer the hand and bang it on, down he goes. It hasn't failed me yet. If he resists a kick in the chops will sort him out

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    bouncer, what happens when u shake hands with a guy who also knows about the thumb lock and tries to get his thumb on top?? all out thumb wrestlin war??

it hurts that bad?! ive been pushing on my thumb all night lol

Mutant is offline Banned
    I hear what you guys are saying. Upto the first row of cars is our responsability, and like Bouncer, I work at a local bar also. I have never had to work alone there, but somthing cracked in a power-plant and the other bouncer had to fix it. Before I worked at this bar I was working at a relativly large club where we had 20 bouncers, but it turned out to be more of a pain-in-the-*ss than it was worth. I stay quiet, and am not friendly to anyone except a few of the locals that I know, so when I do talk people listen and respect what I say. I took the handshake as a symbol of respect. I stood my ground against four, and I think they realized it. (not to say I wasnt a tad scared)/intimidated) It may have been a stupid thing to do, but I couldnt let that guy get his ass beat in an area that I am resonsible for, and thats why I called for help.

Thread Information