J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member

Any felons on the board?

I was just reading an ad for a job fair.

I always like how America is all about giving everyone equal rights, but in the ad on the job fair they put.

*”No felons”

I was convicted almost 7 years ago; I count thousands of dollars of someone else’s money every day at my current job. But because I made a mistake at 16 (convicted @17) I am unable to even attend a ****ing job fair? I have a degree in finance and accounting; I’m probably over qualified for 75% of the positions but am automatically disregarded because I have a single felony.

All you can do though is write your congressmen, I already did can’t wait to hear back from him! *sarcasm*

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    ummmmmm...

you should get your records sealed..... especially as a minor..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

It takes 7 years, so I can very soon after paying a lawyer $5000, and then I can go to job fairs!

Lucky for me though, I don't need too. I probably make double a year of any of the starting salary at any of the jobs available. I found a niche in property investment about 2 years ago and have made a good living off that balance with my benefits job.

I just find it offensive that I have always been if not the top, one of the top performers in any job I’ve ever had and yet would be ineligible to attend a job fair.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    well.... i know alot of people that for one reason or the other think the same thing... and a good self image is one of the better qualities to have.

However..

is job applicant #1 is compared to applicant #2 with the only difference being #1 has a felony record.. guess who would get the job..

or another example..

#1 has a low credit score and #2 has a good one, they have simular qualifications.. #2 gets the job.. and this is true in many higher paying jobs..

but those arent' the jobs that will be at a job fair..

Good luck.. sorry you feel put out regarding the job fair that you don't need to go to..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Those are not the problems I am talking about really though.

See they would not even compare my application or resume with any of those. Because I am a felon, they won’t even accept it period.

Even though I don’t want to go, and never planned on attending. I do take offense to it because I am not able to go because I’m a felon. I guess a simple analogy would be the same feeling a black man, or woman would get if they put in a stipulation of no blacks or women allowed.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    but get real - it may have been awhile ago and YOU FEEL that its not particularly revelant today - but lets face it, you did the crime and the time and thats still part of paying for it - its not like anyone did it to you - but as he said, if you can get it sealed, then by all means do it - but dont blame others for your mistake, even if it was awhile ago

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Forgive my ignorance, but whats a felon?.

lol your kidding bouncer? It is a crime punishable by 1 year or more of incarsiration.

Your right Cycleon it is ME, but I feel I have a valid point.

Just like we cannot assume that all black males are criminals, we cannot assume all fat people are lazy I think it is also wrong to assume all 1 time felons are not able to meet job standards.

Take away my freedom I can do the time. But take away my career opportunities? It is a civil matter between myself and employers not between the U.S. Justice System, or the state and myself. Is it really up to employers to punish me for my wrong doings?

I can see how repeated offenders could be considered unable to do certain jobs that require a higher amount of trust, but I don’t think a person who makes 1 mistake should be deemed unworthy of working, or better yet applying anywhere.

Keep in mind that just about anyone on this board could be a felon real fast by simply being in possession of the wrong substance. Does that really affect you in your job?

O.fO.shO is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg
    lol your kidding bouncer? It is a crime punishable by 1 year or more of incarsiration.

Your right Cycleon it is ME, but I feel I have a valid point.

Just like we cannot assume that all black males are criminals, we cannot assume all fat people are lazy I think it is also wrong to assume all 1 time felons are not able to meet job standards.

Take away my freedom I can do the time. But take away my career opportunities? It is a civil matter between myself and employers not between the U.S. Justice System, or the state and myself. Is it really up to employers to punish me for my wrong doings?

I can see how repeated offenders could be considered unable to do certain jobs that require a higher amount of trust, but I don’t think a person who makes 1 mistake should be deemed unworthy of working, or better yet applying anywhere.

Keep in mind that just about anyone on this board could be a felon real fast by simply being in possession of the wrong substance. Does that really affect you in your job?

I see a little bit of what your saying . When most people think of felons....it sounds bad...like murderer , rapist ect . . I know a couple idiots friends when we were young did some stupid **** , not really all that bad , but not good . Somtimes your young and dumb .

BUT...then you come in and compare blacks to crime ...agianst convicted felons and crime . The color of your skin has nothing to do with your ability to comit a crime . The cold hard facts that your a convict do .

then cant assume blacks are criminals , that racist , like your post .

they can say you are , its in writing .

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg

Nope, I'm in Ireland and although I've heard of it before I hadn't a clue what it was. I thought it was just any criminal.

I'll quit posting after this, don't want to take on the entire board! lol

But just like you can't assume the color of your skin affects the ability to commit a crime. You also cannot assume someone’s mistakes can make them a inefficient worker. You should judge a potential employee on their ability, qualifications, past employment history and performance in interviews.

I was not trying to come off racist at all, was just trying to create some type of analogy to make my point better understood.

Thread Information