Hometown Hero is offline Associate Member

Considering The Military....

Whats up bro's? Been thinking a lot lately about my plans/future especially regaurding my entry into the work force. I'm 22, have about 70 hours of college credit, and a 3.5 GPA. So graduation is not terribly far away, and to be honest im having a really rough time just paying for my undergrad, let alone buying a seat in law school. The idea of the military seems pretty appealing to me. If I have done my homework correctly then it seems they will more or less put me through law school. It also gives me a little bit more $$$ in my pocket, and lets me travel some. I just am not seeing many downsides to this. But there has to be a catch somewhere. I know we got a few military bro's on here, I would be interested to know what you guys have to say on the subject.

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    if your in just for the money...... i dont think now is the time to join........

I dont have any problem with doing what I can to support my countries war efforts. Although, I am probably one of the few that thinks we have any business over there.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    every one of my highschool friends went into the armed forces except me. you basically travel, use high tech equipment, meet tons of ppl, and aquire many skills for free. i seriously thought about joining when i was 18. they also pay so much towards schooling its crazy. if youre ready to fight for this country go for it!

im joining in 2 -3 years..... ill be plenty young still, i just wanna train myself physically before i go in.....

im gonna try to be a ranger, then down the road maybe a green berrete.

i think we have buisness over there..... war is war..... im young and stupid though, what do i know

Well in all fairness. My end goal would be work in the Judge Advocate Generals office. I doubt those guys/gals see much combat. Of course, a law degree for me is approximately five years away. So if I dont get shot, or carbombed in the next five years im looking at a pretty nice paycheck for the rest of my life. Sucks to put your balls on the chopping block but you gotta risk a lot to gain a lot, otherwise everyone would do it.

GetPumped is offline Senior Member
    I thought about it myself to, but I would wait until you graduate because you get better offers if you go in with a college degree already. They have tons of benefits and the money is pretty good. if you don't mind war then go for it bro.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    From what I understand entering with a college degree immediately makes you an officer. Maybe that should be a consideration for you?

The thing is I'm running really short on money. It's going to be hard to pay for these next two years. But dont they pay off student loans? I could just borow all that I need and let them pay it back for me when I join right?

in illinois...... if u serve 1 year in the military.... ur considered a veteran.... and they told me they'd pay 100% of all ur college under some veterans act.
    go talk to your local recruiter about this, prolly be a lot bigger help.

GOATNUTS is offline Member
    see you in the sand box brotha

Ha Ha

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Without your degree......you come in enlisted and that means you might work in a JAG office but as a legal assistant. While you are in you can go to college, but it's gonna take a while. Once you are in, you can usually apply for programs that will allow you to go to college, get your degree and get commissioned. I would go talk to the recruiters of the services you are interested in....and compare programs and opportunities.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    P.s Looks like I'll be joining you guys in the "fun"...probably be going to Al Udied (sp?) in Oct
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Vito_Gatti is offline Associate Member
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately, but considering Wensday was my first shot of Deca , looks like I got about 12 months until I can enlist. I weighed it out, and I chose gear over the military.

they dont test for gear ...... unless they suspcion it.....

Vito_Gatti is offline Associate Member
    Even when you first enlist? I'm not a tiny guy, no Jack Black, but I'm still pretty good sized.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    F*ck that, get your education and do something YOU want to do.

~SC~

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    if your gonna do USMC apply for the officer training program.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    I am joining for te same reasons you are. I am going ito the Air Force in the summer. I am gonna try and finish as many of my units while I am in cuz they have a Community College there, and I will probably have one semester left when I get out, then they will pay for me to get my degree. Its a good deal. I have money problems too, been out of work for about 6 months and I need to get a job before I go in because I have to take care of some court bills etc. before I can join, so Im getting a new job til the end of summer to help get me out of debt before I go in. I have always wanted to serve my country though, and with all the benefits you receive it is really a good situation for me, sounds like it would be good for you too. And like someone else said look into the officers training, sounds like it would be good for you. Good luck bro.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I think the down side maybe getting shot

It's a tough call. I just know one thing for certain, starting from the bottom and working your way up is an absolute bitch. Why can't I just win the lottery?

zuke is offline Member
    go ahead and talk to the recruiters about what the offers for student loan repayments are, but i would highly recommend that you finish your degree before joining. i have been in for ten years.... trust me bro, once you are in you aren't going to have time to finish your degree unless you have the discipline/luxury of utilizing distance learning via the internet.

it doesn't matter how many credits you have, if you don't have your degree finished, then you might as well be a freshman

have you looked into rotc at your university? once you enter your junior year you should be able to sign your name on the dreaded dotted line and can receive scholarships.

be very careful about talking to recruiters. they are basically used-car salesman in uniform. feel free to pm me with any questions. anything i don't know off hand i can find out pretty quickly.

as far as being tested for gear when you first join... highly unlikely. it has been a while since i joined, but they didn't actually run mine through a full urinalysis... just used the test strip. i did weigh about 45 lbs less back then tho

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i joined military for the education benefits such as GI Bill, Loan repayment, and tuition wavers served my time to get a free ride to get the degree i want. still hated every minute i was in.

clhp20 is offline Member
    Going into the military now is cool... Especially if you have college credits. The Army will give you credit for classes taken outside. You will then be able to go into the Army right after basic and be a Officer if you wanted.. No jumping through the ranks.. Pretty sure they still do this. Ask your recruiter for that info.

***xxx*** is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Hero
    ...and lets me travel some.
    yeah, to great places, like Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, Africa - sounds great to me I think I ll become an American soon and join too

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on which branch of the military you join. It also depends on which career field you choose because you will get a lot of technical training and schooling. Not everyone gets shipped out to the mideast. Make sure you talk to your recruiter about advancement oppurtunities, get all the information you can in your desired career field.

Quote Originally Posted by ***xxx***
    yeah, to great places, like Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, Africa - sounds great to me I think I ll become an American soon and join too
    oh yeah those are absolutly wounderfull places most of them are like expensive resorts but dirt cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by ***xxx***
    Sorry bro but I beleive in what we are doing over there. If I gotta shoot @ some mo****ers then thats just what has to happen I guess. Hell it almost seems a little exciting. Problem is I only got 70 credit hours in college, need another year and a half or so to finish up my BA. I wanna go in, I just wanna go in as an officer. Besides how much combat does the Airforce actually see? I know **** sure they arent ganna let my ass fly anything. I can't even drive my car for **** let alone fly a plane.

Sorry bro but I beleive in what we are doing over there. If I gotta shoot @ some mo****ers then thats just what has to happen I guess. Hell it almost seems a little exciting. Problem is I only got 70 credit hours in college, need another year and a half or so to finish up my BA. I wanna go in, I just wanna go in as an officer. Besides how much combat does the Airforce actually see? I know **** sure they arent ganna let my ass fly anything. I can't even drive my car for **** let alone fly a plane.
    go in as an SP k thnx then..
    you will get your nice 14hr, 6 day a week shifts of pure shyt...
    chem gear is nice too

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    i joined military for the education benefits such as GI Bill, Loan repayment, and tuition wavers served my time to get a free ride to get the degree i want. still hated every minute i was in.
    Haha!! Same here bro. Looking back, I'm glad I went in. Texas, under The Hazelwood Act, now pays for all of my tuition. That's great seeing how I wasted my GI Bill by continually dropping classes. :spudniklu

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Arrado
    Haha!! Same here bro. Looking back, I'm glad I went in. Texas, under The Hazelwood Act, now pays for all of my tuition. That's great seeing how I wasted my GI Bill by continually dropping classes. :spudniklu
    ha yes ...
    and dont get me wrong im very patriotic, but being defiant by nature and a skeptic at heart made it difficult to have every bit of my life dictated.
    it was worth it yes... but just because its worth it doesnt mean its enjoyable!

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    ha yes ...
    and dont get me wrong im very patriotic, but being defiant by nature and a skeptic at heart made it difficult to have every bit of my life dictated.
    it was worth it yes... but just because its worth it doesnt mean its enjoyable!

True. :spudniklu

BabyGirl01 is offline Female Member
    Whats up bro's? Been thinking a lot lately about my plans/future especially regaurding my entry into the work force. I'm 22, have about 70 hours of college credit, and a 3.5 GPA. So graduation is not terribly far away, and to be honest im having a really rough time just paying for my undergrad, let alone buying a seat in law school. The idea of the military seems pretty appealing to me. If I have done my homework correctly then it seems they will more or less put me through law school. It also gives me a little bit more $$$ in my pocket, and lets me travel some. I just am not seeing many downsides to this. But there has to be a catch somewhere. I know we got a few military bro's on here, I would be interested to know what you guys have to say on the subject.

My boyfriend just joined the army national guard.. I am very upset but I am getting through it. I would say that if u wanted to then do it, but if u are not sure that DON"T!!!

decadbal is offline Banned
    tons of things need to known about this decision.. if its for $$ then u must not know what a soldier makes, and you will most likely go to the ME no matter your mos.. so feel free and sign up... bc im not going back. so they can sucker u in and u can take my spot

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    I'm in my first semester right now, since getting out of the Army. A week after I ETS'd, I was in college. Interestingly, in my psych class today, we covered the topic of MOTIVATION. You have intrinsic motivation and extrinsic. An example of intrinsic would be a sincere desire to serve your country because of a sense of duty or something like that...an extrinsic example is this- you want education benefits so that you can be a lawyer and make lots of money.
    In these times, which we happened to find ourselves in the midst of a war, I really don't think a primarily extrinsic motivation is enough to sustain a person through the 3,4, 6 or however many years you sign up for. Dude, it ain't no picnic, trust me. there is a downside to serving your country and that is that it will, I gaurantee you, suck, for long periods of time, with little hope for improvement. Ever hear of a STOP LOSS? That's this little clause in your contract that says you can't get out when your time is up even though you made good on your promise. Good times, bro...good times.
    That being said...the nation needs as many people as possible to join our Army these days and I am in no position to talk anyone out of joining. Especially since I don't want my a$$ called up now that I'm a civilian.
    I do feel obligated to say that if you join and find that it sucks big time, you should suck it up and keep your word and serve your country whether you joined because you bleed red, white, and blue or you joined because you want to drive a Cadillac. Personally, I am proud to have served.

zuke is offline Member
    in the end, you are going to make up your own mind, i already talked to you about it over pm, but i really think you should finish your degree

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    tons of things need to known about this decision.. if its for $$ then u must not know what a soldier makes, and you will most likely go to the ME no matter your mos.. so feel free and sign up... bc im not going back. so they can sucker u in and u can take my spot
    AMEN!

CJN1717 is offline Junior Member
    Like others said before me dont do it for the money. The military is a great place for people who have no other option or are being forced to by a judge or whatnot. You seem like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders with 70 credit hours and wanting to become a lawyer. If your so close to your degree I personaly would stick it out and knock it out. The military has given me alot, I wont lie, but there is a WHOLE lot of **** you have to deal with. I am 22 I have been to France, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Turkey, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Rwanda, and will be heading to South America soon. So the traveling has been great but let me repeat the BULL**** is endless. If you do join RESEARCH ALL THE SERVICES, you want to work smarter not harder. Pay grade is pay grade, an E-1 getting shot at in Iraq is getting the same pay as an E-1 in Hawaii sitting behind a desk with another service.

Thread Information