TheStromba is offline Associate Member

Finding Shirts that Fit

Anyone else have this problem ? Especially dress shirts.

I found some "athletic fit" shirts at J.C Penny not too long ago, they are better then regular shirts but still not right.

any ideas ?

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    My problem is my neck...can't really find any dress shirts that have 19 1/2 inch necks. I have found that tommy runs big. ..i.e I can wear a 18 1/2 neck tommy.

Zoolander is offline Junior Member
    Yes. It used to be my waist but now my neck and my arm length are a problem. Especially dress shirt.

Have them tailor made.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Ah, the old tentmaker syndrome . . .

Damn, this one strikes home!

For those who aren't familiar with the dilemma, if you're bulked in the right way, you will need extra room in the neck and shoulders but not in the body. So if you find a shirt with a 19" or 20" neck, it may fit well in the shoulders, but will fit your body like a tent. If you find a shirt that is tapered enough for your body, the neck will be at least two inches too tight. (And if you're tall and need anything longer than a 36" sleeve, you're really screwed.)

Arrow used to make a line of shirts called Brigade which were athletic cut, but they maxed out, I believe, at a 17" or 18" neck. It's been a while since I've seen them, so I'm not sure if they're still made.

Zoolander is right - the only solution if you're bulked is to go with custom made shirts. I've used an independent shirtmaker who does good work at a reasonable price, and found that independents are more reasonable and better at tailoring shirts than the so-called custom chain stores. (The guy I use makes one shirt for you to try, makes any corrections, and then makes the rest of the order. Most chain stores will make the entire order at once and, if they do not fit, you're screwed.)

Zoolander is offline Junior Member
    Man I am brought up in the wrong continent.(Asia)

Even the shoe size are a problem. The average maximum size they carry is 10 US size

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    Size 10...well I guess my gorilla foot 13 isnt gonna find shoes in Asia, huh.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    i wore a 10 when i was 10 years old in the 5th grade lol
    i guess that happens when ur a tall lanky white boy

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I look fowarded to the day I have trouble finding shirts that fit. That will mean i'm finally gettin there.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i have the same problem. My neck isnt that big 17 1/2 but im 5'6 so all the bodys fit like a car cover. i found a tailer who can take in the body. so i buy the shirts i like and he takes in the sides for $12 and they fit perfect
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    you guys think you have shoe problems...try my damn 15's on for size. finding shoes is getting easier compared to 3 or 4 years ago though

BE_STRONG is offline Senior Member
    suits and sport coats are my problem! pants-Waist 31" and coat 52 for arms and shoulders, but it makes my waist look huge!! get some of suits/coats custom made and see how much it sets you back!!

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by broncojosh
    you guys think you have shoe problems...try my damn 15's on for size. finding shoes is getting easier compared to 3 or 4 years ago though
    josh try NIKETOWN in chicago thats where i used to get mine when i was in high school. by the way i wore a 16 when i was 15 years old i was about 6-2 160 pounds then too just think how funny i looked with the big ass feet. good thing i finally grew into them

Sir hugenstein is offline Junior Member
    Man I feel ya, I went dress shirt shopping today and nobody had shirts to fit my 20 inch neck. So I just dont button the top button and push up my tie to hide it. And I also have a size 15 foot. I just go into the store and ask what they got in a 14 and just wear it until they stretch to fit good. Big and Tall is where ya need to go.

TheStromba is offline Associate Member
    Wow, A lot of you guys got it worse than me, and I started the thread . My neck is only 17, but there is a considerable difference between my chest size and waist size, so it always looks like I'm wearing a tent.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i found at a suit shop an extender for the top button. the button goes threw a loop in the extender and then the extender has another button. It adds about an 1/2 id guess to the neck. It helps a little.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Thread Information