broncojosh is offline Senior Member

Work while in college...what did you do/suggest?

Alot of you guys have already been through college. And having been through college, what did you guys do to make money? I'm moving back to Florida to go to school, and will be living in a fairly large city. Any ideas as of what I should look for while I'm in school? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/ladies

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    im in school now and im a server at a restaraunt and i make pretty good money especially if you are in florida try and get to a tourists restaraunt u could make mad loot.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    never been to college bro. but i have alot of freinds who have, and most of them did it waiting tables.

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    Here's what you do bro, you've got a nice big truck so this is perfect for you.

Get a job as a bartender this summer and bust your ass. Pick up every possible shift you can. Save about $3,000. Believe me it's a lot easier than it sounds.......THEN....

Go buy a good (doesn't have to be brand new, but in good condition) trailer, 36" lawnmower, a blower and a weedeater. Put some flyers up in your neighborhood and tell everyone you know that you do lawn maintenance AND this is important, that your in college.

You can work your own hours. Say you have a test, you call your clients tell em what's up and that you'll have to come next week, bam, you've got the week off to study. No request off forms, no boss breathing down your neck.

During the summer you will never have to step onto a stationary bike, treadmill, eliptical machine. NOR will you ever have to go to a tanning bed.

Once you get the hang of it, you can make as much as $50/hour. The possibilites are unlimited.

Think about it dude. It looks good to graduate from college and tell that dick who interviews you that you've "been running your own company for the last few years."

BTW - leave the bartending job in good spirits so you can come back and work over the Christmas holidays when the grass isn't growing

stan66 is offline Junior Member

TWO WORDS!!

Liquor store!! Worked at a liquor store for three of my four years at college. My roommates and I were known as the "beer snobs" as all we drank was top of the line imported shit while everyone was drinkin' Natural Light and Busch!!hehehe
    You usually get a discount, and if you are in good, after a while you get a "great discount" if you get the drift....
    Of course this would be a bad idea if you were "on" at the time, I think it would be too much temptation to "cheat yourself".
    Word to the wise though, if you like dealing with people everyday, YOU WON'T after this job...the drunks and other college kids are funny at first, but then it gets old real quick as you will have to pick up there mess and deal with the hobos who manage to be 50 cents short EVERY SINGLE DAY!!

Others: waiter as mentioned....
    Valet if you can find a snobby restaurant or club....
    Find a gym to work at!! No excuses then not to go.....
    I am sure there are other decent jobs put I am pulling a blank

gymnut4u is offline Member
    I bounced , delevered pizza,construction , anything I could find !!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Bronco, there are a few possibilites....

If you wish to work in an office environment, you can apply with a temp agency, they love guys your age.

Work as a Bouncer, there are a lot of guys that do that on the board, they can help you with that.

Bartender/Waiter, but that can be shitty as people are nasty. If you are on the cycle don't do this job, you might end up breaking someones face in.

Gym could be fun, but a lot of gyms hire HighSchoolers 1st.

I also have a cousin that works for a law firm in Boca Raton and she may need a runner (in-house courier) for them this summer. Let me talk to her and get back to you. I think they pay around $10 an hour.

you rock Kevin!!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I was president of my fraternity and got paid pretty well.
    I also sold... um... nevermind.

NightOp is offline Member
    I like Deadend's idea. But another thing I've found for some extra cash is going to a Sam's Club or discout supermarket and buying alot of common foods and cokes and then selling them marked up on campus and in the dorms... ppl are lazy and hate going out for this stuff at my school... of course i don't drink cokes or eat like crap either.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by arthurb999
    I was president of my fraternity and got paid pretty well.
    I also sold... um... nevermind.
    I sold nevermind too!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Bartender / Waiter. If you work at a decent joint, the tips you will make will beat any hourly wage for 'grunt' work.

Summer: construction is damn good work. Lots of unions will allow temp workers to sign up for summer work 'cuz thier memeber's can't meet the demand for seasonal construction. They make you pay dues but you generally make so much more than other jobs that it's still a big plus.

A few of my friends had their own small businesses in college and made SHITLOADS. Deadend's idea was good. I had a friend that made funky t-shirt designs (funny stuff about the school, etc.) and he made a TON of money; the startup cost for doing that is minimal; he came up with an idea, drew it, had a silk-screen made (not too expensive) and had a local t-shirt company (there are always a fwe in a college town) do runs of 100-200 shirts. He sold them from a table in the student union and got local stores to stock them.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by 9natural9
    I am in college, and I work at a very popular gym, mostly females show up though......I love college, and corruption

Hell yeah, I'm in college now too. Try even working at a campus gym! Tons of young ladies....

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I work at the universtiy doing research right now. It pays well and I get to make my own hours. But the best way to make money is apply for federal grants and shit. I'm not talking loans! I probably get $5000-$6000 every year for school. If your parents pay, tell them you'll take care of the bill and have them send you the loot. I'm serious, there's a shit load of money out there for free, just ask.

I was also a waiter in Vegas, but from what I hear you only make $2.15/hr out here. Fuck that, tips aren't that great unless you work in a gourmet resteraunt. If you don't mind working, traveling, and have some mechanical ability, go work at a shipyard during the summer. You might be putting in close to 70+ hrs a week but you will make a shit load of money. Plus they give you per diem for food and living. Take home an easy $1000/wk.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by 9natural9
    I couldn't get that gig for "gear" reasons.......

but you sound like you have a sweet ass job bro, I get a bunch of beautiful college chiks but I also get those old wrinkles too, yummy
    This gym doesn't test its employees or anything. So my "gear" hasn't been an issue. Heh, and the best part is....I'm the only male employee.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Whatever you do dont wind up like me and get a full time job. Yeah at first you think, "i can take classes at night" next thing you know you've dropped all your classes it's been 2 years and you only have 12 credits. I really have to get my ass back in school.

If you are any good at sales find any kind of job that pays commission and your set. My friends work for sprint only 4 hours a day but they make almost as much as me. Even GNC pays commission.

I'm kinda a car nut, and was thinking of trying to get a job at one of the premier auto sales places. I don't know if they would be eager to hire a 21 year old guy though, even if he did know as much as anybody that works there about the cars they're selling

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Big D...Hear ya on that one. Actually the career took off like a rocket. Education got way behind for what I was doing so I spent many years doing night classes. I am 31 now and just started a grad degree. Undergrad took forever!!!

Bronco, I find it takes a certain type to love a sales job so even if your into cars you might hate the whole selling angle..then you might love it. For college a lot of my friends loved the liquor store but the waiters/waitresses seemed to pull the most cash. I had some friends that did things for the school like computer lab help and got a good discount on tuition for that.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    NO NO NO!!! Car sales? There's a reason these people are so pushy-> economy down, must reach quotas, live off commision. If you like cars go become a mechanic. You'll make more and learn alot while doing it. I still say the gov. money is the best.

I can already do the mechanic bit, but wanted to broaden my horizons. I'm trying not to end up laying marble or working on cars all summer...

Naturally Anabolic is offline Associate Member
    deuce bigelow, male giggalo....nuff said.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I worked 3 jobs each summer while going to university. I coached canoe-kayak, worked as an electronics deleivery and set up man (Mon-Thur. evenings) and bounced Fri-Sat evenings. Needless to say...I was pretty tired most of the time. Day time job was kinda cool...got to be outside all the time and work with kids.

During the school year, kept bouncing and delivering...but not as frequently...had to get my sip on as well!! Ya heard!!??

Yeah I wouldn't be a cars salesman. You can make a lot of money doing that but you have to live there pretty much, and it's way to much pressure.

My friends also workd at Gym's selling memberships and the made hella money but it is extremely hard selling memberships and they had to work a lot of hours.

Try sprint, both my friends got hired using a temp agency. They get ~$10 an hour plus $6 for every phone they sell. that can add up quick. Since they got hired through a temp they work at different stores like best buy and different malls. Plus you get a free cell phone. I want to try to get a job there myself but my dumb ass racked up way to many bills for my age and I cant really take the risk of changing jobs right now.

Plus I say sprint over the rest because they are #1 and sell 5 times as many phones as any other company.

Anyways just a thought.

Oh I also since you know about cars I think car audio installers make good money too. I think you have to get a certification depending on where you apply but the good ones pay good hourly plus commission.

I'm telling you commission is the key here. Ask around, i know a girl who made near $40 grand working part time selling computers and she doesn't know shit about computers. But keep it simple anything major like cars is too much stress and too much time involved.

Thread Information