CrossroadS is offline Associate Member

Any fireman on here?

Just wondering, considering starting training this summer. Anyone?????

Aboot is offline Banned
    Billy Bathgate is I believe, if he's still around.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Yes I am one. Whats up?

You thinking about going to fire school? Is that what you mean?

DO IT. I havent gone, As I work at a comination dept part time. But I have had the same training as school (EMT, FF I/II, HAZMAT Tech)...just did it bit by bit.

Basically though, expect to lose weight. You may not be able to weight train during the extensive PT sections. After you get out though, you will be in great shape. The ones my coworkers went to, was similar to a toned down boot camp more or less. Its a good cutting program really.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    23 years as a paid firefighter, what u want to know? as for our rookie school, its a 6 month bust your butt event. my advice to you is go in with a good attitude, do what you are told, and most of all go in cardio shape. after graduation of the academy, its on the line and life is real good. good luck charlie r

Vice is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain5214
    23 years as a paid firefighter, what u want to know? as for our rookie school, its a 6 month bust your butt event. my advice to you is go in with a good attitude, do what you are told, and most of all go in cardio shape. after graduation of the academy, its on the line and life is real good. good luck charlie r
    Just came across your post mentioning that you've been a firefighter for 23 yrs! wow....congrats.

My question is, I've graduated a pre-service program at college last year, and I have my nfpa 1001, and 1002, and a few other certificates such as hasmat ops, ice water, etc etc....

Thing is I have 3 demerit points on my driving record, from making a left turn where you shouldnt of almost 3 yrs ago, so tahts coming off in July, other then that I have 5 minor speeding tickets with no points and a failed to yeild, yes I know, horrible, bad luck...

How bad will this effect me getting onto the job, its a life long ambition and im really worried about not getting the chance, and I really don't want to wait 3 yrs for all this to be offf my record because by then ive been out of college for almost 5 yrs...

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    down here where i am at, you need no felony convictions, high school diploma or equivalent, class 1 back and pass a drug screen. they dont piss us for juice. congrats on the ff certificates. bad driving record shouldnt be a prob, here, having a drivers license is a condition of employment... good luck to u. just a note................there AINT NO TIME-OUTS IN FIREFIGHTING CHARLIE R

I don't have a criminal record, but my driving record is wacked, hopefully i get the opportunity!

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member

Thumbs up

you bro the captin is right get in good cardio shape, some depts will rank your pshyical agility test in order of who the want to hire first. Other depts are just pass fail. If yo are not an EmT yet get it done ASAP in CA. you cant even apply. If you can fight ,kick steal borrow the money for medic school.If you are a paramedic this set you as a higher priority as you have a dual function. Check out www.firehire.com you can talk to a lot of people with all types of experienc. As for the driving record the best the you can do is put time between you and your last F*** up. Dont give up this can be a hard long road to go but if you want it bad enough you can do it . Also try some small depts they can be a good steeping stone to a major urban dept.

I'm in good cardio shape, I've passed teh fire department physicals twice in the past year and a half, they expire every 6 months so u have to keep doing them which sucks! becuase the vo2 max test sucks...

I tried volunteer departments but i LIVE to far away from them, and there isnt any really small departments around me, they're all big cities.

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Wow thanks bro!!! I was going to start a thread about this!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vice
    I'm in good cardio shape, I've passed teh fire department physicals twice in the past year and a half, they expire every 6 months so u have to keep doing them which sucks! becuase the vo2 max test sucks...

I tried volunteer departments but i LIVE to far away from them, and there isnt any really small departments around me, they're all big cities.
    What kind of physical test do you have to go through?

Pull ups, Mile Run? Im interested in finding out what they test for. Thanks

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    FireFighter 1 Acadamy and EMT-B is where ya need to start. If you have any volunteer service available to you in your area than hop on it.

Around here most dept's are really wanting Paramedic firefighters...seems to be the ticket. If you cant find a job then go that route.

Firefighting here in California is VERY, I mean VERY competitive. With the right attitude and hard work you will make it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA74
    What kind of physical test do you have to go through?

Pull ups, Mile Run? Im interested in finding out what they test for. Thanks
    In Cali we have what is called the CPAT. Its a VERY hard test. As long as you are in top notch shape you will do fine.

Another test we have to do is the Tullare drill for wildland fires....

Clock starts

You put on a backpack with 200 feet of hose (around 50 pounds or so)

You take 200 feet of hose off the engine, flank it out so it doesnt get tangled, then call for water. You then pull that 200 feet of charged hoseline out. When you get to the end you must then clamp the end of the line, take the nozzle off and then connect another 100 feet from the backpack on your back. Advance that 100 feet. You reach the end, call for water shutoff.

Now the hard part...

You have to drag all 300 feet of hose past the line that you started.

All of that within 10 minutes.

Its not impossible by any means, but if you arent in decent shape than you wont make it. Ive seen girls do it. Ive also seen big dudes fail it.

I'd say that is the most physically demanding part of academy.

The CPAT isnt part of the academy but most Dept's make you do it before hire. Its harder than the Tulare drill.

They have CPAT here. You have to do like 200 steps in 3:20 without touching the rails. You have a dummy drag, drag a charged line 50ft, etc.

Around here they polygraph. They will ask if you have done ANY illegal drugs in the last 3yrs. They dont care about driving records. Just the felonies and things like assalt, possesion, etc.

Talk to the school. Some want you as an EMT, some dont care and its part of your fire school training. Medic would help though, youll get more pay. Medic school is usually around a year though and alot of stuff, you gotta have some interest in it to make it through.

Thanks Bros!

Quote Originally Posted by captain5214

What is your pay like, if you don't mind me asking? Also, I have grown up with firefighter my whole life, and I have been putting it off, as I thought I wanted something with more money involved, but I can't change my heart. What kind of schedules did you work? Any information you want to give would be great.

Cross

Quote Originally Posted by CrossroadS
    What is your pay like, if you don't mind me asking? Also, I have grown up with firefighter my whole life, and I have been putting it off, as I thought I wanted something with more money involved, but I can't change my heart. What kind of schedules did you work? Any information you want to give would be great.

Cross
    Pay completely and entirely depends on the dept. You can make anywhere (id say) from like 1000/month with a small town fire dept working semi-fulltime shifts all the way up to 6500/month with LA City as a fire medic (starting)

Those #'s are a bit flexable, but you get the idea. You can make quite a bit of $$ being a firefighter, but its not an easy path.

With that said, money should never be a consideration when becoming a firefighter. Its something you do because you love.

Quote Originally Posted by newbrew
    Pay completely and entirely depends on the dept. You can make anywhere (id say) from like 1000/month with a small town fire dept working semi-fulltime shifts all the way up to 6500/month with LA City as a fire medic (starting)

Those #'s are a bit flexable, but you get the idea. You can make quite a bit of $$ being a firefighter, but its not an easy path.

With that said, money should never be a consideration when becoming a firefighter. Its something you do because you love.

No doubt...the risk to reward ratio is not great for money's sake. I love the life. I have been around it, and was just looking for other's opinions. So you think doing the medic training would be worth it?

round here...guys easily are in the 100k a year range

not ff alone, but the fact that when you work 24/hr shifts you have alot of off time. in the off time comes small business. lawncare and snow removal is the most popular choice

medic will get you more pay.

if your in for the money, you got the wrong career. it looks great on tv like its tons of fun...but they dont show the shit work...overhaul and salvage...not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossroadS
    No doubt...the risk to reward ratio is not great for money's sake. I love the life. I have been around it, and was just looking for other's opinions. So you think doing the medic training would be worth it?
    You need to have an interest in paramedics in order to be a good medic. You are putting your patient at quite a bit of risk when it comes to the medic aspect of the job. As a medic you are responsible to know roughly 80 different meds (usually you dont stock that many on a rig).

Paramedic FF's do make more. Id say with the same dept that a fire medic is making 6500/month, a non medic is probably making around 4500 (rough estimate).

Ive also seen some of the higher paid dept's starting their regular FF (non medics) out at around 6000-6500/month.

Of course, most FF's also get overtime as well. Retirement is also great.

There is a reason that when a dept has 10 openings you have 1000+ qualified applicants (not to mention the unqualified). It's a VERY competitive field to get into. Many people test for years before getting a job.

Ridla is offline Associate Member

Emt

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    Yes I am one. Whats up?

You thinking about going to fire school? Is that what you mean?

DO IT. I havent gone, As I work at a comination dept part time. But I have had the same training as school (EMT, FF I/II, HAZMAT Tech)...just did it bit by bit.

Basically though, expect to lose weight. You may not be able to weight train during the extensive PT sections. After you get out though, you will be in great shape. The ones my coworkers went to, was similar to a toned down boot camp more or less. Its a good cutting program really.
    So where did U go to get ur EMT certificate??? I am really considering doing an EMT course.

I got mine through a hospital. EMT-B paid 600 bucks.

The also have it at the community college here, and the state universities.

Going through a hospital or community college type would be your best bet as far as price and length. You may call your local fire depts, the often put them on as well.

Its was fun, pretty easy stuff too if you are familiar at all with basic first aid stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    I got mine through a hospital. EMT-B paid 600 bucks.

The also have it at the community college here, and the state universities.

Going through a hospital or community college type would be your best bet as far as price and length. You may call your local fire depts, the often put them on as well.

Its was fun, pretty easy stuff too if you are familiar at all with basic first aid stuff.
    Sounds good. An old friend's dad is chief of one of the local fire dept.'s and gave me the rundown. He said they are hiring 12-15 rooks in the next 6-12 months. Said to take my written aptitude test, and come to him. I don't want to be shooed in, nor do I think I will, but if it helps get my foot in the door, I am ready to do the work. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thread Information